Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. R

Changed Thermostat - Now Random Temp Drop?

I'll see if I can find one of those, would certainly make it easier to squeeze on the upper hose without dumping fluid out too. I think there's air still in the system too, just stumping me how it's not getting pushed out... Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'll try to drop another update...
  2. R

I did have the heater both times, blowing nice and warm in the cab, and the second checked the hoses to the heater and they were warm. While I gave it some revs while trying to get the air out, I probably didn't hit past 4k RPMs, I did rev it up a few times for about a ten second count. It...
  3. R

'97 Sport, 4.0 OHV, 133k miles, pretty much all stock other than normal tune-up maintenance done. I had a thermostat stuck open so with the recent sub freezing temps I finally got around to swapping it out two days ago. I drained out about 3/4 a gallon before starting, used a 192°F...
  4. R

My spare tire

For me, there's no reason to not have the spare match the rest of the tires on the vehicle, at least in size and tread type. If you ever go off-roading, especially in rocky areas, that's probably where you can easily cut a sidewall and need the spare do more than just limp to a service station...
  5. R

98 Sport Manual Stalls Out on Start

After you're done with that, take a hard look at replacing your spark plugs if they're still the OEM from the factory. I have the '97 version of your truck with similar mileage, after replacing the very worn stock plugs my idle smoothed out to a stable purr and I regained about 10% of my fuel...
  6. R

Minor Coolant Leak - help ID this part?

Mine was doing the same. I replaced it with a Motorcraft part since it's not much more at all to do so. Only six months in, but holding well thus far, hopefully I'll get another two decades out of it like the stock one.
  7. R

95 Explorer Liftgate Weatherstrip - F1TZ-78404A06A Please

I've looked around far and wide, that is the one weatherstrip that I cannot find from any source. I guess I'll be going the universal route here soon before winter comes on again, letting one last summer of baking happen before I do that. Watching this one in case a good source is found.
  8. R

Just curious, would anyone here buy the new Explorers?

Just went through this late last year when my lady was new car shopping to replace her '04 Explorer that was over 240k miles and a Toyota Corolla commuter car that got totaled. We don't need a 3rd row seats as the kids are all grown and my '97 is the dirt running beater in the family for when...
  9. R

Marriage .. 1998 Mercury Mountianeer ... 2000 Mercury Mountianeer

I'm solid on the Autolites in my 4.0 OHV and it helped me regain 10% fuel mileage from the old stock plugs that had 125k on them, there's a few here on the board who used them in their 5.0 as well and had good things to say. Check RockAuto, with rebate they were under a dollar each recently...
  10. R

Marriage .. 1998 Mercury Mountianeer ... 2000 Mercury Mountianeer

I'd start with giving the '98 a good tune-up and getting good fuel into it to chase down the knock problem before thinking engine swap, essentially prove it's a rod knock you're dealing with and not just a detonation knock. In higher altitude Idaho, you probably have a lot of 85 octane with...
  11. R

What Fluid To Use

I'm running Valvoline's full syn version that's equivalent to Mercon/XL-12: Valvoline™ Multi-Vehicle Transfer Case Fluid : Product Catalog - Valvoline™ I couldn't find XL-12 in my small town and didn't want to pay $14/bottle from Amazon or drive the 80 miles to the city just for fluid, so I got...
  12. R

(97 XLT V6 OHV 4WD) Realistic expectations for MPG?

For reference, mine is a '97 OHV Sport 4WD with 235/75/R15 tires, 3.27 gears, 5sp manual, 128K miles, no exterior mods that would drag air. Recently changed plugs to Autolite Double Iridium (that gave me a MPG boost alone), full synthetic in tranny, t-case, rear gear. Before those improvements...
  13. R

Looking to change out my spark plugs 4.0 ohv

Agree, no major issue if you break off the ceramic portion of the old plug during removal, provided that you don't damage the threads on the engine in the process, as a helicoil is no fun. PB Blaster/Kroil, getting the proper angle of access, a U-joint socket and time is your friend, no need to...
  14. R

Replaced ignition but truck won't start.

Short answer, yes, you're going to have to get it reprogrammed. Interestingly, here's a thread from last week with someone else who had an ex do them dirty. After Attempted Theft, Not starting. No obd2 codes Easiest route is to get a locksmith that has the tools to reprogram the PATS codes.
  15. R

One thing I'll add to the above removal tips is a 3/8" u-joint ratchet extension definitely comes in handy where you can't get directly onto the plug, just be careful you're not applying pressure to the side too much and snap the ceramic part off. Removing the plug wire boots were a real pain...
  16. R

Shocks or Struts? Which one?

I looked hard at those Rancho 9000 adjustable, couldn't personally justify the added cost on a two decade old vehicle that needs other work, so I went with the RS5000X shocks all around a couple months ago with the rebate. I drive some pretty rough roads and am happy thus far with them.
  17. R

Went with the same plugs in mine, same year/engine as yours and the OP's. The Autolite Iridiums are great plugs for sure. Get them at Rock Auto with the rebate, they're then less than a buck a piece (before shipping). I went with AC Delco Professional for wires, good fit and even gave an...
  18. R

Can't find a throttle cable!?!?

My apologies to linking to a close but no cigar part. If I get a chance later, I'll do some more hunting.
  19. R

Can't find a throttle cable!?!?

Is this it? Same part number you listed, says four in stock, not vouching for them in any way, just what my Google-foo led me to. https://www.amazon.com/Ford-F87Z-9A758-AA-CABLE-ASY-THROTTLE/dp/B000O0GGJA
  20. R

Clock Spring - Cruise Control

Check the post on this thread, it sounds like it may have been wired up incorrectly when the cruise buttons were replaced. How to replace cruise control buttons (w/ pics)
  21. R

Hot floor advice?

These guys have the stuff you need to put a barrier in between the tranny and body or in cab as well: Thermal Barriers | Heat Shield Barriers | Heatshield Products Summit, among others, carry their products. Expect to spend a few hundred $$$ to do the job right though.
  22. R

How does a vehicle look this nice on the outside and so rough on the inside?

With 4WD 3.73 LS axles and 1 code torsion bars, I wish it was closer to me than >2k miles to replace my 3.27 open diffs. The clean outside tells me it was probably garage kept, just rode hard otherwise.
  23. R

What's this noise?

I had an '04 that was making a similar noise, it was the cats going south.
  24. R

Ball joint boots

There's "universal fit" options for replacement ball joint boots, just need to measure and select which is right for your ball joint you have installed since you're already on aftermarket arms. This is just one website for such, there's a lot more options out there. Aftermarket Universal Dust...
  25. R

Project Vehicle - 1998 Explorer Limited

Restrict the tailpipe with a rag, it will make any exhaust leaks much more obvious while searching for them.
Back