Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. D

Tailgate Replacement

Hey guys, My Ford Explorer was hit in a parking lot last night, no cameras and no note. I called the insurance and they won't help either, having them repair isn't worth my rates going up. I just bought this car a month ago and I do not want to have to drive around like that, especially since...
  2. D

Looking at an 2007

It’s not what we did, it’s what previous owners did/didn’t do. No way of knowing how a previous car was treated makes it too risky for these 4.0s. My 07 V6 has cost more to repair then it did to buy in 2 years. Even when the V6 does work, it’s still a weak oversized engine with no power and...
  3. D

Best radio replacement

All good info. A backup camera is a good idea, but be careful of how you install it. I put mine on top of the trailer hitch, sandwiched in between the lower bumper and the hitch. However, the lip of the trailer hitch is in the image, and I think my camera is focusing on it which distort the...
  4. D

Best radio replacement

? As far as I’m aware, you won’t find a radio that drops right with no dash kit for any car. Definitely isn’t possible with the ‘sploder. I used the metra dash kit and apart from the disco look of the radio (I installed a Kenwood DPX303, which is a non touchscreen double din. Wouldn’t recommend...
  5. D

Best radio replacement

Go to Crutchfield.com and enter your car, they’ll supply you with wiring harnesses and dash kits for the Ex and will even wire it up for you for $25. (I recommend this) Pretty much any double or single DIN will fit, but I’d recommend a double din touchscreen if you like to use the radio and...
  6. D

Looking at an 2007

DO NOT buy any Explorer with the 4.0L. 2 years ago I bought an 07 V6 with 140k mi on it, after reading that timing chains and transmissions aren’t an issue for everyone. Well, 1 year ago the timing chains broke- 3.5k repair. A couple of months ago the transmission lost third gear- 4k repair...
  7. D

Amp Wire Through Firewall?

Ok thanks, I actually found a 12” JL Audio W6 in JL’s high-output box with a JL 500/1 amp on Facebook marketplace for $500, which seems like a good deal (I’ll have to test it first). To my understanding JL’s box is ported, so I’m thinking I’ll keep that box for now, and if I want to I’ll build a...
  8. D

Wow, I saw the big oval plug but didn’t even think to try pulling it off. I’m loving the new setup, but it’s definitely exposed the weak stock subwoofer, which will need to go. I’m looking to get a separate mono amp and a 12” sub, so I’ll most likely have to update my main power wire before the...
  9. D

Mechanic Says I Need a New Transmission after 2-3 Shift Issues

I’ve got the 4.0L just a general update, I got a quote from a highly reviewed Ford dealer nearby for a new reman, 4.5k. Definitely more expensive that I thought, I’ve heard anywhere from 3.3-4 on this site. Might ask around a little more.
  10. D

Steady Airbag light on after aftermarket stereo install

same thing happened to me. The harness is at the top of the trim right above the radio, and one thing to note is that if you plug it in while the car is on, the light won’t turn off until you restart the car with the plug connected.
  11. D

I gave him a call, and he said there weren’t any codes. Is that believable? The wrench light came on, and I left it on (didn’t press reset) but I know it will go away after turning the car on and off again, so there’s a possibility it didn’t appear for the mechanic. The check engine light never...
  12. D

My transmission has struggled going into 3rd lately, it seems like it’ll try and shift but can’t find third. It’ll flare up a few hundred RPMs then land back in second. If I lift my foot off the accelerator it’ll shift into third, but often with a jolt. It even shifted into first while trying to...
  13. D

It’s pretty simple, I just cut a hole in the grommet and ran the wire through. There’s what appears to be a hollow cavity in between the top and bottom layer of floor, and the bottom layer doesn’t have a grommet where the hole is, so make sure to protect the wire from rubbing against the metal...
  14. D

So I found the drain plug, and poked some string through to see where it would end up, and from what I found, poking it towards the front resulted in the string going right over the cat, which is not good, and poking it towards the rear of the car made it pop out behind a body mount. The actual...
  15. D

Engine will not turn over, no dash lights, nothing. 06 Explorer XLS

Hmm, maybe try to get a friend with a similar year Ford to pull into your driveway and see if they experience similar symptoms. This should let you know if you have a problem with just your Ex or if all Fords will suffer. I’ve got 3 Fords in the driveway, and there was one night back in the...
  16. D

Before I get an amp for my speakers I figured I’d find out how I’m gonna install it, but I’m having trouble finding a firewall grommet. I used the search feature, but I couldn’t find any of the grommets they listed and the grommets I did find were so hard to reach that I couldn’t possibly use...
  17. D

Coldest you've started your ex in?

V6. The timing chain was probably well on its way at that point, being at 150k miles and probably not maintained very well by previous owner (Bought it at 145k).
  18. D

Coldest you've started your ex in?

I started mine somewhere around 20°F, but the timing chain blew up 5 seconds after that so I wouldn’t exactly call it successful.
  19. D

Anyone Done Mud Flaps?

In my case, they look cool (but then again so do mud splashes) but if I decide to get a new muffler and do a side exhaust I’ll need them to protect the tip and keep it clean.
  20. D

Anyone Done Mud Flaps?

How do you like them from an appearance standpoint only? Also, do you think the custom molded ones are necessary, or will universal ones fit ok?
  21. D

ADDING LED LIGHTS INSIDE

I’d just use a fuse tap. You’ll need type ATC. Fuse 23 should be the one for interior lights. Just take out the old fuse, put it in the lower slot of the tap, and put the tap into the fuse slot.
  22. D

Mountaineer to Car Transplant

I thought I remembered seeing a lot heavier, so I googled it and a 4x4 V8 is 4,760 lbs while a RWD V6 is 4,300. Don’t know where they got their info, but I also don’t know where you got yours.
  23. D

A/C Problem on 06 Explorer EB 4.9L

At 90° the high side should be about 260 psi, low side about 50 psi. That’s what google recommends, and it’s worked fine for my Ex. If you do overfill it, the compressor *should* turn off so it doesn’t ruin itself. But then you have to deal with getting the r134 out of the system, so try not...
  24. D

Ignition coils?

rockauto.com typically has good prices, but I think ignition coils for the V8 are just kind of pricey; the motor craft ones are $36 each plus whatever shipping is. But for cheaper items like spark plugs, it’s probably better to look elsewhere. For example, the rockauto spark plugs are a few...
  25. D

Is it Okay to Install Sway Bar End Links Upside Down?

Yeah, I had the same problem so I had to use flat washers. I was able to undo the bolt, pull the bar with the nut through and out, and then flip it and reinstall, so that the nut attached to the bar is on bottom with the removable bolt on top, as per recommended. Did you do the rear sway bar...
Back