Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. R

Unusual Spark Plug Question

You got it mn! Turns out it was a broken off piece of black rubber boot. How it got there I haven't a clue. It appeared to be metal when I looked down the deep spark plug well. I should of probed it with an awl or something similar, da! Just came back from the dealer who replaced the front...
  2. R

Thanks for reply. The plug does not appear to be stripped or broken in any way. The metal just below the ceramic is dark in color, not black but very dark brown or bronze. The surface of the metal is smooth and rounded as far as I can tell. I have an appointment with the local ford dealer on...
  3. R

Good morning everyone. Just replaced spark plugs in 2010 Mountaineer w/V8 and 59K miles. Bought the truck used at 33K. Pulled what I believe to be the original plugs and replaced with Motorcraft SP 509's; all but 7 of them anyway. When I got to the #6 cylinder there was (is) a different type of...
  4. R

2003 Explorer 4.6L Coolant Loss

I had the same symptons as you have ( I didn't remove valve covers but had white crap in oil cap and the fill tube) with the crack in the intake manifold by the thermostat housing. I tried to seal the crack in the manifold with silicon gasket material but that repair lasted only a few miles...
  5. R

Wiper problem diagnosis

Sounds like the multi-function switch, the one on the steering column with the wiper switch, high/low, etc. on it. Check connections or replace it. There are two screws hidden by small plastic covers on the bottom side of the column, just back of the steering wheel as I remember. Take screws out...
  6. R

2004 4.6L PCV system For diagram needed ASAP

On the 05 V8 Mountaineer, the PCV is on the right (passenger side) valve cover, about midway along the cover length. The hose goes from the PCV to the throttle body by way of a large quick connect (like the breather hose connections).
  7. R

Looking for help/part

Remove the consol and attack it from the back. Probably hung up on some metal finger or something inside the socket.
  8. R

P0308 cel

That really sounds like what i just went through with the 2005 Mountaineer 4.6L. A small crack in the air intake manifold was the culpret. Antifreeze was leaking from that crack by the thermostat housing and running along the rail (?), that flat surface on the cylinder head, between the valve...
  9. R

Cruise Control Problem, 04 EB not same as others

I took the switch assembly out (screws onto the steering wheel), very simple. There was plenty of dirt and dried coffee in the small crevices between the buttons and probably between the contacts. I cleaned with mild cleaner and was able to restore the switch(es) and the cruise control has...
  10. R

Serious Water Leak

xTOM - What parts were replaced? I also had a leak through the intake manifold gasket by the thermostat housing (intergral to the manifold). Replaced gaskets and filled small, open crack in thermo. housing where plastic manifold material is molded to housing. So good so far. The leaking fluid...
  11. R

2002 V8, Ford replaced a bunch of sensors- still stalling, killing, help!!

Ask the dealer to check the catalitic converter. Mi\y 05 clogged and had similar symptons as your's. Not unusual. Good luck.
  12. R

2005 Explorer wiring problem.

I live in the northeast where temps. get into the teens in the winter, no where near what you must experience up there. The large black wire in the wire bundle that enters into the drivers door through the rubber boot broke in my '05 Mountaineer a while back, causing all sorts of wierd...
  13. R

No power mirrors/locks and door ajar on

Check the wire bundle between the driver door and A pillar. Pull rubber boot from where it seats in the pillar and slide the boot down the wire bundle into the door (remove door panel for easy access). In the wire bundle, look for a broken black wire, one of the two large ones. If you find it...
  14. R

2002 Exp. - Accessing wiring in driver's door - black sleeve near hinge

I had the same problem only it was door locks not working. The cause was a broken black ground wire in the bundle of wires that you are trying to get at between the door and the jam. I took the door panel off and pulled the rubber protective boot back through the door. The boot is formed to fit...
  15. R

Rear Hub Bearing Question

drbombay, are we still talking about the rear bearing as being replacable without having to replace the whole hub assembly? Or does that apply to front also? Thanks.
  16. R

Electric Problem

Thanks for reply Brian. I'll check out that location for broken ground wires. I'm also going to look into the fuse panel under the dash on the passenger side. There is a protected circuit there that tends to relate to most of the symptons. I discovered this morning that I can turn the "door...
  17. R

Electric Problem

Hey All! Has anyone had this particular electric problem on their 2005 Mounty or Ex and was able to fix it without taking it to the dealer? Out of the blue, but after wet weather, my truck developed a problem where the "Door Ajar" message lights up on the message center and at the same time...
  18. R

Power seat crapped out

How about fuse?
  19. R

whining noise from tranny or rear end or somewhere

Hello everyone! I'm trying to locate a high pitched whine from either the tranny, t-case or the rear end. My truck is a 2000 Mountaineer, 5.0, all wheel drive with about 77K on it. The whine is noticable when cruising and goes away when accelerating. It seems loudest in cold weather. I know...
  20. R

How to: Parking Brake Removal and Installation (with pictures)

Hey V8, the lever is inserted from the front of the dust shield. The lever is two pieces, one pivoting on the other. The trick is to decide which is on top of the other, only two choices. Note the indent on the arm of the lever that protrudes through the dust shield and the rubber boot; that's...
  21. R

Control Arm Bushing

I replaced the lower control arm bushings on my 2000 mounty v8 awd. Took the control arms out and did the work on a bench. I used a cold chisel and hammer to pound a seam on the sleave wall of the exposed part of the bushing which folded the sleeve wall inward thereby reducing the diameter of...
  22. R

Headlight Switch Bulb replacement q's

Just replaced the bulb in the switch. It's located in the switch, accessable with small screw driver on the back side of the switch. A 1/4 turn counterclockwise releases it from switch. You don't need to take the dash apart to change it. Remove enough screws from bezal(?) and dash cover plates...
  23. R

Brake fluid flushing

Aldive-I just bled the brakes on my 2000 Mountaineer. I used the gravity method with help from one of those small plastic hand vacuum pumps you can get at any parts store for little money. The pump I have has a small, clear plastic container attached to it and a release trigger. The tool makes...
  24. R

Antifreeze/coolant question

The 2000 V8 Mtneer spec is 15.7 quarts (3.9 gals). The heater blew hot air after warm up during every flush so I think that means the coolant is getting circulated, including the fluid in the block and upper engine right? I'm assuming that, once the t-stat is fully open, all coolant volume in...
  25. R

Antifreeze/coolant question

Al,the only differences between the way we changed coolant was that you drove yours for 15 min and I let mine idle for 15 min.(with intermitten revs to speed up the water pump) before reflushing, and I used a cleaner. I did not get a clear glass of water after the fourth attempt. Great display...
Back