Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. I

Starts then stops

so recently my Explorer has been acting weird. It will start up then die within a few seconds. Sometimes I will start to drive it, it drives fine, But idles hard and jumps back and Forth a little bit. Does anybody know what this could be?
  2. I

timing chain

How much did that cost?
  3. I

timing chain

Would replacing the chain and guides completely fix that problem?
  4. I

timing chain

yep. I see that engine is notorious for this issue.
  5. I

timing chain

I have recently been quoted at about $1500 for a new timing chain. From what I have read on this forum, it seems to be the plastic guides that are bad. If i were to get a new timing chain would that be worth it, or should I just do the tensioners and drive it easy?
  6. I

Lift kit

Thank you! Really appreciate it. Will probably order soon.
  7. I

Lift kit

sweet! I don’t plan on doing any major off roading. I found the right ones for my Explorer on carid.com, but can’t seem to find the rear ones anywhere.
  8. I

Lift kit

Ok. I just wanted to make sure I buy the right stuff. Thank you!
  9. I

Lift kit

One more thing..... I would like to do new shocks before I do the warrior shackles and torsion lift. I’m looking at the Rancho RS9000XL. I am a little confused on buying them. I see I need to buy 2 of them for the front. But do those shocks fit the back too, or do I need to buy different ones...
  10. I

Lift kit

Thanks for all the help!
  11. I

Lift kit

Thanks! I’m thinking I’ll do the torsion bars and shackles. Of course get it aligned after, but I’ve read that twisting the torsions can cause more wear on other parts.
  12. I

Lift kit

As it sits right now, my 1998 Explorer is bone stock. I am looking at doing a 3-4” lift with some 33” tires. I’m new to this, and was wondering if anybody knew of a good place to buy the lift. A decent lift at a decent price is what I’m looking for.
  13. I

New Explorer

Basically, it’s bone stock. I just want to fix the rattle and make it as reliable as possible, before I start doing modifications to it.
  14. I

New Explorer

Thanks for all the advice! It is not that rusty underneath. So do the tensioners just bandaid the timing chain problem? And would the pre Oiler kit fix it long term?
  15. I

New Explorer

Appreciate all the advice. It has all maintenance records and was meticulously maintained by the previous owner. I will probably change all the fluids very soon. It does have the rattle. Is there a good place anybody knows of to buy tensioners? Again, I really appreciate all of the advice.
  16. I

New Explorer

Hello everybody, I am new to explorers, just bought a 1998 Explorer XLT with the SOHC V6 the other day. Only at 110,000 miles. In terms of maintenance or preventative maintenance, what are some of the first things I should do to keep it running great? Certain oils, filters, or parts that would help?
  17. I

New Guy from Iowa

just got a 98 XLT with 110,000 on the clock.... got the V6. Any preventative maintenance that should be done, or how to keep it running great
Back