Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. B

Upgrading 2013 FPIU radio to touchscreen GPS?

Answering just the two basic questions of moving the camera display and getting Sirius: The camera display can be moved easily, as long as you don't have Sync. Without Sync, just take the Video+ and Video- wires, and connect them to pins 6 and 12 on the back of the FCDIM. Then go into Forscan...
  2. B

Vehicle image in IPC

I was told that this overhead image does nothing on 13-15 PIUs. It also doesn't have a function on other vehicles of the same 2011-2015 computer systems. Beginning with the 2016 computer upgrades and "dark theme" screens, the overhead car display will show headlights, taillights, and animate...
  3. B

Tow Mode Not Possible on PIU

Hey all, I know that several folks, myself included, have wondered whether Tow/Haul mode can be added to the PIU. I can say with 100% certainty that Tow/Haul mode is unavailable on 2015 and older model PIUs. On the 2011-2015 Explorers, if the vehicle did not have the center stack switches...
  4. B

Source for pins for various OEM connectors

I have added a number of features to my 2014 PIU that were not present from the factory. So far, most of the new wiring I've added is simply just long bare wire leads shoved into the empty cavities of the plugs. Of all the additions I've made, the only one I was able to source the OEM connector...
  5. B

Used OEM backup camera installed, shows very grainy/squiggly, video link provided.

I don't have Sync, so I just have the basic 4.2" FCDIM screen. Enabling the camera was very simple once I found the correct information. It just required one bit change in Forscan under the FCDIM. Chances are that I can get the Zoom to work if I mess around with bit addresses more in Forscan...
  6. B

Used OEM backup camera installed, shows very grainy/squiggly, video link provided.

This evening, I completed installation of an OEM backup camera in my 2014 PIU. The camera, plastic mounting shroud, and wiring harness came from a chrome liftgate trim piece, same 2011-2015 model design. I was unable to source the male end of the 8 pin connector used by Ford for the backup...
  7. B

PIU Remote Start PATS bypass?

I'm not buying a kit or any extra garbage. I'm only interested in making what is already in the car functioning. What do I need to accomplish that as far as fobs go? I will buy the cheapest, used fobs I can find on eBay and cut the key portion off and replace them with my current RKE fobs if I...
  8. B

No. Everyone on this board says all you have to do is enable remote start via Forscan and plug in the hood switch, because every Explorer, base/PIU and up comes pre wired with everything for remote start. So, how do I program the remote start button? I've seen plenty of directions to program...
  9. B

I purchased the single button remote start fobs for my 2014 PIU. How do I program these? I have Remote Start enabled via Forscan already and the hood button. I just don't understand how to program the remote start fobs, since all the instructions are based around buying the combined key/remote...
  10. B

2011 Center Console Swap Advice

Okay, you can do without the personal attacks and snide remarks, thank you. Apparently, as I see now, the current Explorer requires physical removal of the shifter. I've never looked at a retail Explorers because they simply didn't have the features I wanted versus the 4th Gen or versus the...
  11. B

The physical shifter itself does not move. It is bolted to the floor. The decorative boot and trim pieces around it are manipulated and moved when removing the OEM console and when installing the Havis console. You don't get to choose to relocate the shifter to a different location when...
  12. B

Havis sells consoles for both the PIU with column shift and the retail Explorer with floor shift. Just buy a bone yard center console from an Explorer with your trim colors and pull the Havis console. The shifter doesn't move in the process. Follow Havis's instructions for installation for...
  13. B

Police lighting pre-wire packages

My taillights do not have the knock out panel for the Whelen's, while my headlights do. I have two pairs of the Ford Whelen model HAWs, so I will hang on to the pair for the rear until I come up with a solution for them. I don't have any rear wiring either for strobes, but that will be far...
  14. B

Tow-Mode Button Installation

If you have a Police Interceptor Utility, there is no wiring harness under the trim piece. I am going to test whether or not Tow Mode even is programmed into the transmission. Tow Haul comes off of the BCM, to the momentary switch, then to the Transmission Module. The PIU's Low Gear column...
  15. B

Wiring harness kit numbers

I'm looking for a very specific wiring harness connector, and I have no leads on how to find it. I am looking for the male end of the WPT-998 connector kit. WPT-998 is an 8 pin connector used on the liftgate that plugs into connector C495 and feeds two license plate lights plus the control and...
  16. B

Installing the OEM tow hitch, no threads on bolt holes.

That white vehicle is owned by my employer. Not mine. It has been with us since delivery in 2014. No accidents. It's possible our mechanics added the OEM hitch, but our mechanics typically just buy the aftermarket hitches that install under the bumper for the rest of the vehicles.
  17. B

Well I'm not sure then, but that's an OEM hitch on a PIU. Perhaps added at the dealer?
  18. B

Here is the VIN sticker for the 2015 PIU with SAP at my work: And here is the OEM console without a shifter. Lots of folks ask about them and many have never seen one, especially factory installed (some resellers of PIUs, like Chicago and Asia Motors, often buy them secondhand and install...
  19. B

At work we have a 2015 PIU with street appearance package (shifter-less console), and it has an OEM Class III hitch. The existence of this vehicle proves what I want to do can be done. I just don't know if the bolt holes are threaded deep within the body and I can't see it? Or if the bolts...
  20. B

I don't mean to sound arrogant, but I'm not coming on here telling others what they should and should not do to their PIU's. I want my vehicle to have certain capacities. That's all.
  21. B

Not currently. But I want the ability. I have the Class III hitch, the wiring harness with rear park sensors, 4 pin, and 7 pin plugs, and I have the hitch bumper cover. I just need the bolts and now a new lower bumper cover since I cut the current one wrong. I cannot see visible threads in any...
  22. B

Did not, and do not want and aftermarket hitch. Thanks though.
  23. B

No worries. The one I watched is rather popular. It has a rather bawdy techno soundtrack which is rather annoying, but most of the footage was good. That's why I decided on the OEM route to begin with because of how relatively easy it looked to be. And the setup was pretty straightforward. The...
  24. B

Police lighting pre-wire packages

Thanks. That's very weird. I've done some digging around in my vehicle, and it definitely has the front lighting solution (corner flashing LEDs, not the WARN module), but no rear lighting solutions at all.
  25. B

YouTube tells me the video up on the other thread is unavailable. There's a video I watched of a civilian Explorer, silver or maybe a pewter color, getting the hitch installed in the guy's backyard. Everything was pretty straightforward until I realized the bolts I needed were not with my kit...
Back