Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. J

over 250,000 mi

I have achieved an impressive 373,000 miles out of the engine with no rebuilding. (1996 Ford Explorer Eddie Bower 4x4, 4.0 OHV) of course the accessories are another thing. 4 Alternators, 2 water pumps 4 radiators, 1 radiator fan, 1 fuel pump, 1 front driveshaft, Ujoint set for front and back...
  2. J

Buzzing noise and reverse won't engage. Transfer case issues.

I had the same problem., It was when shifting into reverse, and later as it progressed it would occur in any forward coasting motion in which I attempted an engine braking. The noise I could not isolate so naturally I thought tranny., of course ripping that appart revealed nothing at the time...
  3. J

96 4R55E Transmission problems

Ok here it is. Finally after waiting sooo long (and my reverse seemed to start going out next.) I finally found the time to take the transmission apart again. Except only the valve body. I had ordered the TransGo Shift Fix kit. And took the valve body off. After taking it apart, I realized...
  4. J

squeeling belt A/C clutch

you should have some resistance on the AC compressor, as for the tensioner, if it is not under a good amount of tension to rebound back to the "HOME" position, I would look at that. Sometimes the spring inside wears out, or more likely, I had issues with the casing the spring was on warping...
  5. J

you don't happen to have a scan of the torque sequence for the valve body handy ( in case the new manual doesn't come in before the weekend? ) `Jon
  6. J

You mean the poor excuse for a gasket. That think might as well be cheap copier paper, or even cheaper notebook paper. ( ok maybe a little thicker, but not much. ). I remeber when I first took apart the valve body on the inital rebuild, The damn gasket was soo rotted, no matter where I...
  7. J

squeeling belt A/C clutch

My belt in my 96' started doing the terrible squeal, after doing the old imperical repair method, I first tried replacing the idler arm, The bearings on it were shot, but not the main problem. In the long run it turned out to be a bad water pump shaft bearing which was causing a slight...
  8. J

OK to drive without Driveshaft?

I had my double cardigan front drive shaft go out on me (twice during the course of 150K miles). The rubber or whatever it is in between the joint completely deteoriated, causing at first a little vibration, then so much excess vibration that even at 30 MPH it almost shook my car off the road...
  9. J

thanks for your quick response. woohoo, when I was a kid, I alsways wanted a gremlin, just this one doesn't sound cute and furry. lol, I installed the drain plug from the first time I rebuilt the thing, thinking the worst, although the worst really never came, until now. So your best...
  10. J

what tools for brake change?

Yeah good call, unless you want to rest your rotors on the ground., Always a good way to start a brake change. :confused: When it comes time to put the new pads on, I find it much easier to use a big c-clamp to compress the caliper, as opposed to bleeding the brakes, works very easily, but one...
  11. J

Ok, I have been reading this forum for a little while, and would have liked to make a first post as a helping hand, but it comes in the form of question, since this has to be the best conglomerate of human resources that happen to be all-knowing when it comes to the random quirks of the...
Back