Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. T

Awkward shifting tranny

You should flush it, But I am sure that is not going to fix it. I have noticed that our 02 does the same thing. I believe its actually the Torque converter not locking up to help things get up to operating temperatures faster. The 02 does it and same with my 06. I wouldn't worry to much. Still...
  2. T

2002 tranny question

You eigther have the 5r55w or the 5r55s. I am almost positive you will have the 5r55w as most 02s have that trans. The only difference is the 1st to 2nd gear ratio. I personally like the 5r55w better, seems to have a firmer first to second shift. My 06 has the 5r55s, the only difference is from...
  3. T

2002 Explorer Transmission Problem..Need Help

Fluid and filter change is probably a good place to start. I would also replace the solenoid block in the transmission. They tend to start having issues around 60 - 70k so you are past due. Just do a search on them and you will find that they are pretty common to start to cause minor issues.
  4. T

Groaning from the front end

It could also be just that that front wheel bearing/ Hub assemblys are just bad. Its also pretty common on explorers. Check out the 02s section.
  5. T

2006 Stereo Delay wire

Found my own answer to this. Talked to a tech at Crutchfield.com and he found that I would need PAC C2R-FRD1 (http://www.crutchfield.com/p_127C2RFRD1/PAC-Ford-Radio-Replacement-Interface.html?search=C2R&ssi=0) if I want to keep the RAP (retained accessory power) for the aftermarket radio since...
  6. T

2006 Stereo Delay wire

Hey guys. I currently have my xm commander hooked up to my factory Single MP3 cd player in my 06. I have the power for the XM coming from the battery lead off the stereo and then 12 switched source coming from the 12 volt switch for the stereo. The question I have is when I shut off the car the...
  7. T

In dash DVD / navigation

I am thinking about doing this, fordeb07, does your delay still work when u shut off the car until you open the door?
  8. T

Tire Wear Question

Even if the truck is 4 wheel drive the rear tires will wear faster. Explorers are rear wheel drive trucks when they are not in 4x4 mode. If its no 4 wheel drive then its only rear wheel drive. If the tires are warn evenly on the rear then I am going to guess that the PO never rotated the tires...
  9. T

Would you buy an 02

I agree with EasyRhino. Our 02 is at 155,000 miles now with no issues. Still on the original trans too. We replaced many of the same parts has EasyRhino, but I don't consider them major parts by any means. The engine still runs great and the trans is shifting perfect. I think the biggest thing...
  10. T

Battery Light On, Yet Alternator is Charging?

I don't know if I would trust the Gauge in the cluster. You may need to actually go to an auto store and have them test the alt. You can either have them bench test it (if u take it off and bring it to them) or you can have them do a load test on the while system. Every auto store I know does...
  11. T

Engine revvs when braking. Any Ideas?

Just to let you know there is no throttle cables on 03 and above explorers. It is all drive by wire. The pedal is just attached to the firewall with an electrical connector coming out of it.
  12. T

Trans pan leaking

Where is the leak coming from on the Pan? Is it from the front of the trans? It may not be your pan gasket thats leaking. It might be the front pump seal in the bell housing of the trans. It could even be the bell housing to trans gasket too. I have never seen a pan gasket leak that bad, seep...
  13. T

My first post, and I already have a tech question.

Yeah think it is normal, Mine does the same thing. I only have 43,000 miles on it now and it has done it since I got it at 37,000 miles. I don't think anything is wrong. I wouldn't worry.
  14. T

How do I press in upper ball joint? PICTURES

On rock auto you can buy just the upper ball joint and not the whole arm. I wonder if they can be pressed out. I may be testing this here soon.
  15. T

Front suspension(?) noise

Yep that would be the noise that I herd. I replaced the Sway bar links and have not had a problem since.
  16. T

Considering Purchase of 04 XLT... BUT

In our 02 we had the trans solenoid block replaced at about 90,000 miles and we are up to 145,000 miles now and it is still running great. Just flush the fluid regularly and you really shouldn't have a problem.
  17. T

rebuilt shift motor, replaced hubs, still no 4x4

Yeah that is the cam. I am going to guess that is the problem then. There are little ears on the end of the points on the cam that tend to break off. Those cams are hard to come by. Might be better to just upgrade to manual locking hubs. That is what most people tend to do. I accually have my...
  18. T

pulls to the right....

Could be a ball joint or even the radius arm bushing on the Pass side. Those tend to go faster since they get dried out from the heat of the cat being right there.
  19. T

rebuilt shift motor, replaced hubs, still no 4x4

When you are replacing the Hubs are you replacing the cams that are behind the hub too? The cam could be broke, they are plastic so it wouldn't suprise me.
  20. T

Yet another 4WD failure

Sounds like the 4x4 control modular (sp?) to me. When ours went out we didn't get the 4x4 lights at start up and no 4x4 eigther. It is quite a common issue on the 02s. There is an updated part from ford, but is still about 200. But is really easy to change out our self. Do a search for it, very...
  21. T

02 transmission/chugging issues (clueless)

How many miles are on it? It sounds like the brake light switch on the brake pedal. I had that go out on my moms, you couldn't get it out of park unless you used the shifter bypass thing under the steering wheel. The "chugging" issue may be related to the solenoid block, it is also quite common...
  22. T

02explorer dreaded 4X4 control module

Nah the 4x4 module dosen't need to be reflashed. I replaced ours on our 02 a couple years back. It is righ behind the glove box attached to the blower motor. I just unlpugged the old one and plugged in the new one. That easy.
  23. T

$975.00 battery

You accually can get a gen 3 out of park with no battery. Look underneath the colum shifter there is a little metal pannle that us slide open then stick a key up there and pull down.
  24. T

Broken Band

You can pull the trans very easily without a trans jack. I have done it twice and put it back in twice without it. I also just used regular jack stands too on the highest setting. Worked for me, but I am also pretty skinny. lol.
  25. T

trans temp guage question

I have my gauge hooked up in the same spot. My readings are right about what yours are. I don't think that is a bad reading considering it is right out of the tranny before any coolers. I still plan to maybe add another external coolder next to the factory one infront of the radiator. I figure...
Back