Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. L

How many miles on your 2ND GEN EX?

1998 and sort of still runnning at 260K
  2. L

Thermostat Housing 911

Wife's 98 stock expolorer is down. 4.0L SOHC had coolant leak that I traced to the thermostat housing. ( Yes it was a ***** to trace and take out) To replace the housing is big bucks wondering if I could use the later version (post 2001 model year) The box looks the same and should fit. I...
  3. L

Lower Intake Manifold Gasket

Not really a difficult job. A good set of wrenches and you should be set. They sell all the gaskets in a kit. I think they ran me about $90. I also think there was a TSB regarding the valve covers. I found it easier to just take them off. Again new gaskets here would save a problem later on...
  4. L

Fixed Truck now will not start

OK. Here is where I'm at. The car will still fire on starter fluid. But will not run more then 3 secs. I'm conviced no fuel is getting into the cylinders. I have had a positive result with the noid light but I back to the injectors and checked the voltage. I am only showing 2-3 volts. I'm...
  5. L

Makes a whole lot of sense but for all of them to go bad at the same time? I think I'm going to have to go back in and pull the rail keeping the sensor's attached to see if they spray. But I would think this is clearly a fuel problem.
  6. L

Still will not start. At this point I think I have it narrowed to the the injectors or the sensors to fire the injectors. Here is my reasoning. 1. Engine will fire on starter fluid for about 2-5 secs. For this brief time the engine runs smooth. 2. Old gas drained and new gas added. 3. 40...
  7. L

Update. I was finally able to get the CMP sensor out. Everything looks good on the drive unit. From my understanding when the drive goes bad you can see the mess when you remove the sensor. At this point I really need to check to see if the sensor is OK. Anyone have the procedures to...
  8. L

How to replace 94 4.0L camshaft Position Sensor

Does anyone know weather a 94 and 95 are interchangable. And is there a way to check the sensor off the car/drive unit?
  9. L

OK this is where I stand with this PITA problem. First, thanks to all for your help. I'm sure with your input we will be able to solve this problem. With fuel pressure, spark, injector voltage, I have decided that I need to both understand and check the CPM. My understanding is that this...
  10. L

Camshaft Position Sensor Testing

I have another thread open on my no start 94 explorer V6 auto but I figure I will open this up to everyone. Does anyone have the step by step procedure to test the Camshaft position sensor. My book is very confusing especially when discussing which leads to test. Thanks.
  11. L

Yeh, I was really starting to question the wisdom of dumping raw fuel down the intake. My problem is I have a full tank of the old gas. I was hoping I could still use it.
  12. L

Right now I have the upper intake off to check the injectors and CMP. Once I get everthing back together I am going to try the new fuel in the intake. I just check the IC and I have good resentence in the primary and in the secondary. Although it does show higher then spec in the secondary.
  13. L

OK guys. I can't try starting this thing until I get the upper intake back on. I had to remove it to gain access to the injectors and CMP. I'm still comfused with the check of the CMP harness. The book says I should be getting 1.5volts but I show 12 volts with the meter on the B+ lead and...
  14. L

Here are the results from the NOID light test of the injectors. Key on / Engine Off = NO LIGHT Key on / Engine Cranking = FLASHING LIGHT With the Volt Meter I can get 12 volts from the connector if I go positive lead to the red wire and use a ground at the battery. Any Opinions...
  15. L

I have 12 volts at the injectors red wire with the key on. It was not 2 volts as stated. What about the 12 volts at the CPM sensor connector? The books says I should have 1.5v?
  16. L

Ok, Thanks looks like I will need to do a little reading. Here is what I have found today. First a correction. I have 12 V at the injector connector. I think that is what I should be showing. This pretty much tells me this will not be an injector problem. right? I pulled the CPM connector...
  17. L

I pull one connector and I am only getting 2V any ideas where to look?
  18. L

Does anyone know what voltage I should have at the injector connector when cranking?
  19. L

Just to recap. I can get it to run for a very short period of time 30-45 secs on starter fluid. This is why I am leaning to a fuel issue. Although I am not conviced it is not a valve issue with the hydrulic lifters. At this point I have taken off the top of the intake to gain acces to the...
  20. L

I agree there it something else going on here. Although I also feel the voltage drop may be a function of the car not running. Anyway, I think your idea to explore the CPS a little more is a good one. I am going to try to check that today. Thanks Dennis
  21. L

Good question. When i pull the plugs I can smell fuel but are they firing? One thing. I had the injectors cleaned externally. Had them checked and spray verified. Everything looked good.
  22. L

Thanks. Just tried cranking it with the MAF removed. Same result no start:mad:
  23. L

OK, here is the latest. I have checked the fuel pressure at the rail (schrader valve) and it was 34 psi before I changed the filter. I still plan to change the filter but I don't expect any change in condition. To recap; My 94 XLT will not start after an intake gasket replacement. The car...
  24. L

I thought abut that but it was a pretty simple job and nothing would suggest that this is the promblem. I still think it is a fuel/delivery problem.
Back