Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. F

Low vacuum/rough idle post 5.0 swap

Now that the (2nd) rebuilt 5.0 is in the truck (my '99 Ranger) and everything is connected, I was excited to fire it up again last week. Unfortunately, it idles like hot garbage and I'm struggling to nail down what's going on. If anybody wants to help solve the puzzle, here's what I know: It's...
  2. F

Tall valve covers to clear 5.0 roller rockers

I'm looking for a set of valve covers to clear my roller rockers. The shop put on a basic chrome set, but the oil fill is in the back. Can anybody recommend a decent set that keeps the fill in the stock location and clears the rockers? I've got an intake spacer, so there's enough room to go...
  3. F

5.0 injector question

I'm waiting on a machine shop to finish sorting out the 5.0 from my '99 Ranger (swapped from a donor '99 Explorer). While it's there, I was going to have my injectors serviced, but I'm hoping someone can sanity check me. My build is relatively mild: Stock block and crank Cam is a Comp...
  4. F

5.0 cam bearing question

Quick question... I have to replace the crank and rod bearings in the 5.0 in my Ranger. It's probably a good idea to swap the cam bearings as well while I have the engine out (long story short - I screwed up and lost oil pressure on a brand new rebuild). Can the bearings be swapped with the...
  5. F

Low vacuum, poor idle

I'm at my wit's end with the final stage of the '99 Explorer 5.0 transplant into my '99 Ranger. Everything is installed, the truck is inspected, etc. If it ran right, I'd be done... But it doesn't. I'm getting about 13" of steady vacuum at the intake manifold. The engine is a fresh rebuild...
  6. F

Wanted - center dash vent

I'm looking for a center dash vent for a '95-01 Explorer interior. There are two styles - one design has a shutoff control on the outside edge of the vents. That one will not work for me. I need the narrower version without the controls. See attached pictures for clarification. The two styles...
  7. F

5.0 whistling noise

I'm nearing completion on a 5.0 Explorer -> '99 Ranger swap. Got to the point of cranking it up on Saturday and it fired instantly. However, there's an odd whistling noise coming from the right rear of the engine (general vicinity of EGR and the A/C evaporator housing). Here's a quick clip of...
  8. F

Shifter cable bracket for 4R70W (5.0)

Cable Bracket by fastpakr posted April 19, 2018 at 9:29 AM Cable Bracket 2 by fastpakr posted April 19, 2018 at 3:52 PM I'm looking for the bracket that mounts the transmission shifter cable alongside a 4R70W on a 5.0 Explorer. I believe it looks just like the embedded image. It should be on...
  9. F

5.0/4R70W Transmission identification

I'm looking for a 4R70W for a 4wd V8 swap in my '99 Ranger. This one's available from a seller in the region: Can anyone visually confirm that it's a 4R70W (vs one of the V6 transmissions)? The seller indicates that it's from a 5.0, but he's a couple of hours away and I'd love to positively...
  10. F

4.6 Engine differences

My parents have an '02 Explorer with the 2v 4.6 that apparently has bottom end issues. I've been looking around for a replacement engine locally and found this '00 Crown Vic: http://roanoke.craigslist.org/cto/1646507465.html How significant are the differences between the two engines? Are...
Back