Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. F

WHICH GASOLINE, BEST QUALITY???

I am not sure if this was just in Ohio, or all over, but all the gas stations around here had untill this summer to dig up their old tanks and replace them with new double wall tanks. So there should not be an issue with water, except from condensation. The best way to fight that is to buy...
  2. F

'94 Explorer?

The information I have gathered from various sources indicates the tow package for '94 included: 3.73 axle, transmission cooler, full size spare tire, and the wiring harness for trailer lights. The wiring has relays that allow your trailer lights to get power direct from the battery (via the...
  3. F

Gibson Exhausts

My Gibson is just slightly louder than stock, with a nice growl when you accelerate. What I didn't like about the intallation was there were several pieces,and they didn't have any alignment marks to show how to assemble them. The instructions were kind of vague. It was kind of hard to hold...
  4. F

#!@%$&# Thermastat!

As far as 230 goes, I don't think the engine ever gets that hot, but if it did, then the thermostat would be full open. Most of the time, the thermostat is only partially open. I could be wrong on the upper number, though. I'm going to school and I've got a lot of numbers swirling around my...
  5. F

best looking trailer hitch??

I have the Hidden Hitch round tube hitch, too. It looks great (what little you can see). It was actually the least expensive, only $114. It took over an hour to install, because I didn't have the right combination of socket and extentions to get to the bolts. I pull a 4400 pound camper with it.
  6. F

#!@%$&# Thermastat!

I don't know about the multistage thermostat, mine starts to open at 195 degrees, full open around 230. I got it from NAPA. The old one was going open around 175 and my gas milage was terrible. I was changing my serpintine belt at the same time, and I found that there was a lot more room...
  7. F

Getting sick of washing and waxing

You should thank your lucky stars that all they put down is sand on the roads. Here in Ohio, they use enough salt to turn Lake Erie into an ocean. Your truck ends up looking like a stalactite. I don't bother washing it though, it will just snow again and start the whole thing over. I'll...
  8. F

Towing capabilities

When you go to rent a tow dolly, try to get one with surge brakes. They operate on the inertia of the trailer running into the hitch. There is no extra wiring, besides the lights. For a single trip, I think you would be okay. Check the owners manual about what gears to use. When I was...
  9. F

hitch idea

I have a Hidden Hitch 2" receiver, with the curved tubes on my 94 XLT. It only cost $114 at a local shop. I've seen some catalogs sell them for over $200, so shop around. It tucks right up under the stock bumper hitch, so the only thing you see is the square hole. I'm not sure how the...
  10. F

Physics of air flow...???

I came up with 35 mph through a 3" duct. Part of that is because each cylinder only draws air on every other revoloution. Actually it would be less, because I assumed atmospheric pressure, not a vacuum. The main thing is that you want as many air molocules as possible to reach the intake...
  11. F

Tow Package/ Whats that mean exactly??

The 94 XLT four door tow package should include: full size spare tire, 235/75R15 tires, external transmission cooler, wiring connector under the rear bumper, 3.73 rear axle. The wiring has relays by the rear washer resevour that keep the trailer from overloading the truck's lights. The...
  12. F

Winter = Repair = Cold Garage = Heat Source

Just be careful about having open flames around vehicles. If you use any kind of kerosene or propane heater, keep a clear space around it, so nothing gets too hot. I just went to a fire where combustables were too close to a gas heater. The place was a total loss. Put your bare hand...
  13. F

retorquing plugs, wow

That explains it, I have the older version of the Haynes book. It covers 91-95, and makes no mention of torque for spark plugs.
  14. F

retorquing plugs, wow

Where in your Haynes manual did you find the spark plug torque spec? I searched all through mine, but was unable to locate it. I just went by feel, and have had no ticking.
  15. F

Changing Spark Plugs

I've seen some discussion about the best way to change sparkplugs, and since I just changed mine, I thought I would offer my experience. Don't forget to put anti-sieze on the threads. #1&2 were not too hard, just need a ratchet, socket, 3 inch extension, and universal joint. Stand on the...
  16. F

2.2 mpg increase

Try NAPA I got mine at NAPA for about $6 including the gasket. I changed the belt and the anti-freeze at the same time. While I had the air tube off, I noticed the inside of my throttle body and manifold were all gunked up from trying to run richer to warm up the cold engine. Right after...
  17. F

Exhaust for 94 XLT

The various parts suppliers had an aluminized Gibson for just over $200, but the stainless steel version was around $400+. I got mine for $200 from a wholesaler. No shipping because the driver dropped it off at my house on his way to work.
  18. F

6th spark plug ....

I changed mine from the top, but its been awhile, so i can't remember which extensions I used. Thats why I used platinum plugs, so I wouldn't have to do it for a long time.
  19. F

Thermostat and Temp. Sending Unit

The pink radiator fluid should not hurt the Explorer, or the aluminum, since just about everybody uses aluminum, now. It would be a good idea to change the serpentine belt, at the same time. Removing it will also give you a little more room to work. Removing the air tube from the air box to...
  20. F

Exhaust for 94 XLT

I recently installed a Gibson cat-back system on my 94 XLT four door. The installation was not as easy as some others, but I was able to make it work. It would have been nice if there were indexing marks to show how to line everything up. I needed to "adjust" the rear hanger, and I had to...
  21. F

"Don't clean the thottle body"??

I forgot to mention that when I cleaned my throttle body, I removed it from the vehicle and used compressed air to blow it out when I was done, so there was no chance of getting any debris in the engine.
  22. F

"Don't clean the thottle body"??

I thought my throttle cable was sticking untill I had the air tube off to change the thermostat. The build-up in the throttle body was causing the butterfly to stick when you first pressed on the gas. I cleaned it out with a wire brush and crocus cloth. Now the gas pedal moves light as a...
  23. F

Air Tank Question

High Pressure Cylinders A couple years ago, a Detroit fire truck experienced a sudden catastrophic failure of an air bottle. The bottle had been damaged at a fire scene and then placed back in the jump seat, behind the driver's seat. A few hours later, while parked in the station, the tank...
  24. F

Who, if anyone has the Jacob's DIS system?

A friend tried one on his 97 Blazer. It did something to raise the exhaust temperature to an extreamly high level, to the point that the heat from the catalytic converter caught the undercoating on fire. This happened while driving 60, not just idling in traffic. The Jacobs was the only...
  25. F

Bad T-Stat?

stuck open will kill gas mileage I had read something about this somewhere, and combined with a temp gage that barely moved, and some friends who get way better mileage, I changed my thermostat. Temp gage now comes up to the 'N', and mileage went from 16-18 up to 20-22. I cooked the old one...
Back