Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. D

Replacing Freeze Plug '02 4.6L

I think I've got a rusted out freeze plug on my '02 Explorer 4.6L EB. It starts dumping coolant out the back of the engine after being cold started in a couple of minutes. I was told that this engine has three freeze plugs, all on the rear of the block. I was also told that I'd have to remove...
  2. D

4.6L V8 coolant loss

Could you replace the heads with Mustang heads without much modification so you'll have three valves per cylinder and about 40 more horspower? I've heard it's the same engine except for the head and valves.
  3. D

I must admit that it does not look good

I've got an '02 EB loaded 4.6L Explorer bought new for $34K and never abused. I fortunately bought a 100K extended warranty through the dealer. It's had a huge amount of problems that fortunately were covered under the extended warranty. Since it's expired more major problems have cropped up...
  4. D

Idler Pulleys on 4.6L

As far as asking my local Ford dealer's shop about anything, it's a waste of time. Only after you commit to a $200 checkout/diagnostic/estimate charge that they'll remove against any work done will they tell you anything. They will under no circumstances let you talk with a mechanic until...
  5. D

use the third row for first time.

I like the 3rd row seating arrangement. When my children were younger, we'd leave it up unless we needed the extra space for groceries or luggage on trips. The kids liked it since they had all the extra room to spread out and sleep on trips. In recent years we've not used it as much because...
  6. D

Can someone explain 4x4 auto to me

The quick and dirty answer is: not very well. If they offered a system like the Toyota 4Runners of a few years ago with a completely manual 4WD system with rear locker and yet no locking hubs to deal with, they would probably have the best American 4WD brand outside of Jeep. I hope that you...
  7. D

Cleaning a MAF: do it or not?

For anyone to automatically buy a replacement MAF Sensor before cleaning it and testing tells me they've got more money than sense. Once you figure out the scheme for removing it, buying the appropriate cleaner (CRC), cleaning it thoroughly and allowing it to dry thoroughly, reinstalling it...
  8. D

Have a 4.6L? Here's a problem I bet you all have...

Any other users had problems with the 4.6L in an '02 cracking head, leaking coolant out when cold & etc.? Mine did this out of the blue and I'm afraid it's toast.
  9. D

Tranny Code P0741

Easy Rhino: re: the spark plugs. The back three on the passenger side of the engine are completely covered by the air intake assembly/hoses/lines. You can't even see the back three coil packs as it is. The front one that I did change on that side was a major bear due to the multiple hoses...
  10. D

Tranny Code P0741

I've got an '02 EB Explorer, 4.6 V8 with about 170K miles. After coming home from a trip last week, about a mile from home the O/D light started blinking and 'Check Transmission' came up on the systems display. I noticed nothing unusual about the way it drove or shifted. I did notice the...
  11. D

I want to flush my Transmision fluid

I got a quote from my dealer about a month ago for $179. They do flush the entire transmission. Mine is an '02 4.6L. This seems to be a lot of money considering it doesn't even have a filter to replace, only a screen to clean.
  12. D

Need a bad MAFS

Have you tried cleaning your existing one with MAF Sensor cleaner? You can get it at about any parts house for a few bucks and will fix most that don't have actual physical or electrical damage (which is rare).
  13. D

Keyless Entry Dead

CB900fguy: what is the reprogram procedure? My auto headlights, auto seat, remote and inside door locks and liftgate release all quit working all at once. When it was a week old, this happened and the dealer fixed it saying that it had to be reprogrammed. Now well out of warranty, it's...
  14. D

02 Explorer 4.6L Oil On Top Of Plugs

Jakedrew, I thus far haven't had to do anything with the fuel rails but a universal joint and a short and long extension are definitely called for. I couldn't find a 9/32" socket to remove the coil bolts in 3/8" drive, only 1/4". I had to buy a 1/4"M X 3/8"F adapter, adding to the length in...
  15. D

That engine is made freakin' odd after being familiar with V8s of years ago. I can't even tell where the valve covers really are on it. I'm sure my PCV is due for replacement but after disconnecting the hose, only a short white nub of what appears to be plastic is showing. This whole coil...
  16. D

I've got a '02 Explorer EB 4.6L V8 and finally got around to changing the spark plugs after 150K miles (I know, I know). After pulling the left bank (from driver's position), I found that the back three of the plugs wells evidently had noticeable amounts of oil in them. This wasn't apparent...
  17. D

Power Steering Fluid Changeout

How does one go about changing out the power steering fluid on an '02 4.6 V8 Explorer? Mine has about 135K on it and it's quite dark. Thanks in advance!
  18. D

vibration/rumble when turning at low speeds

How does one go about removing the front drive shaft to the transfer case? Any photo or video explanation would be most appreciated.
  19. D

Replacing PCV Valve, '02 4.6L

I'm sure I need to change out the PCV valve on my '02 EB 4.6L. I've found the valve on the left side of the engine but I can't figure out how to remove it. I'm used to the ones on older cars that basically pulled out of a rubber grommet in the valve cover but this one looks quite different...
  20. D

What repairs have you done to your 3rd gen so far?

Bought my '02 EB 4.6L V8 new. Problems started within the first week and seem to never end at it's now current mileage of 139K. 1. Tranny clunking, improper shifting with less than 250 miles on it. Low ATF fluid level from the factory on the fabulous sealed system. Dealer added fluid and...
  21. D

I thought auto transmissions had some sort of pin locking arrangement to keep the drive system from turning. I know Park acts different on my X than on any other vehicle I've had that when you put it into Park and let off the brake, it will allow the vehicle to roll a couple of inches before it...
  22. D

2002 4.6L Rear Bearings Axle?

Mine on my '02 cost over $600 to be replaced at my dealer. Fortunately it was still under an extended warranty. Mine sounded like I had big off-road tires on it, a lound "zinging" noised that changed in relation to speed and went away with side loading like on an exit ramp. I thought I had...
  23. D

Do you think it would be okay to just remove the drive shaft permanently? I never need 4WD where I live and really can't afford to spend much on it.
  24. D

4x4 high

You might want to check to see if your tires all have the same tread depth. Even a small difference between front and back tires seems to cause the wheel speed sensors to think there's a wheel slippage and engaging the 4WD when climbing any sort of grade.
  25. D

My '02 EB 4.6L V8 has recently started doing the same thing. It's especially noticeable if the wheel is even just slightly turned and you apply any power starting at 0 MPH in both forward and reverse. You hear a rapid pulsing kind of vibration and also feel it in the steering wheel. When you...
Back