Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. T

Jefe's 700R4 swap

I looked up the part numbers. 82'-84' uses a 27 spline small bore pump. 84'-86' Uses a 30 spline large bore. 87'-up uses 30 spline large bore w/Aux valve feed tube (for 87'-up trannies with auxiliary valve bodies). 87'-up are the trannies needed, newer=better. I have an 85' because my...
  2. T

Jefe's 700R4 swap

Only the 4.3L V6 (which is what you might be thinking) uses the V8. This engine is a 350 with 2 cylinders removed. The 3.4L V6 is a version of the early Chevy 2.8L. Only place to find the RWD 3.4L is in the F-Body of the Firebird and Camaro. The RWD 2.8L was found in S-10/15, Jimmy and S-10...
  3. T

Jefe's 700R4 swap

700r4 troubles My transmission is having weird problems now. I believe to be related to the "shift kit" Mad-Dog installed. Anyhow I have concerns about what we are getting from these places. Since the transmission we are getting comes from small Chevy V6's, the 3.4L being the most...
  4. T

Jefe's 700R4 swap

Finally got it going. I finally got my Aerostar going. I had to use a remote oil filer because on the A-star there is no room between the exhaust manifold and the AA adapter plate. I have put only about 100 miles on it. Seems to be running well. I also got the factory(FORD) column...
  5. T

Jefe's 700R4 swap

The transmission is in. Just have to finish up on cooling lines and the tranny mount. For my application, I had a few driveshafts laying around from some GM cars. I found one, I believe, to be from a 79 Chevy Impala. I needed about 3" more (ON THE DRIVESHAFT) ;) My concerns now are on the...
  6. T

Advance Adapters 700R4 Conversion Parts Available NOW!!!

Yes, all internals are the same, its just a difference of the bell housing bolt pattern. Even the V6/60 (2.8l tranny) can be built to withstand as much horsepower it takes to twist the tranny (I've seen it done). With a 700-R4 built to withstand a standard 5.7l LT1(300HP,400TQ,approximated)...
  7. T

Jefe's 700R4 swap

Sorry that was so long, I didn't realize it until I posted. I just can never quit talking (typing)
  8. T

Jefe's 700R4 swap

Ok Jefe and other explorer enthusiasts. Here is something I see from Jefe's picture (so different years may differ from his). 1) The front O2 sensor is just after the factory header on Jefe's, my '97 Aerostars is after the "Y" pipe combines on the passenger side. 2)Jefe's front Cadillytic...
  9. T

Jefe's 700R4 swap

Thanks Jefe, You got me thinking. When I dissassembled my 5R, I did not remove a VSS. So I got out my Chiltons, and it said it was in the tail shaft. I looked, nope, just a solid place that could be opened to accept the VSS. The only plugs on the tranny are the shaft speed sensors. The...
  10. T

Jefe's 700R4 swap

Jefe, I AM doing this conversion on my '97 Aerostar. Tired of trying to find 5R parts, etc. 700r4's are everywhere. I am originally a Chevy guy. I just recently been getting into Fords. Yes it's true, GM does not make an auto tranny (to my knowledge) that starts in 2nd. Wish they did...
  11. T

How to: Project Frankentranny "AKA" A4LD / 4R55E / 5R55E Hybrid Project - A MUST READ!

Brain, Looking at the 5R bellhousing, Glacier was right on with it being from a 3.0. Think about this, how much force does it take to turn over a 2.9 vs 3.0 vs the long stroked 4.0. So the 4.0 has a larger starter, hence the larger starter housing. It seems the 3.0 had the starter on either...
  12. T

How to: Project Frankentranny - A4LD / 4R55E / 5R55E Hybrid Project

Brain, Looking at the 5R bellhousing, Glacier was right on with it being from a 3.0. Think about this, how much force does it take to turn over a 2.9 vs 3.0 vs the long stroked 4.0. So the 4.0 has a larger starter, hence the larger starter housing. It seems the 3.0 had the starter on either...
  13. T

How to: My A4LD Rebuild Diary - Pt 4 - Postscript

Well, looking at the ATSG book, and a parts book from Transtar, I found that the Reman forgot to put the bearing between the Center support and the Direct Drum (Hi/Reverse Drum). I was getting symptoms non-similar to others, and fixing slow reverse, and low pressure did not help, I see why now...
  14. T

How to: My A4LD Rebuild Diary - Pt 4 - Postscript

Thank you guys I recently bought a '97 Aerostar (not an explorer, but I love it anyhow). 3 weeks went by and the tranny went belly up. It has the 5R55E. Although Glacier did an A4LD, I found it a lot of help in getting my 5R apart. My Direct Drum and Forward drum were stuck together. The...
Back