Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. L

Huge fuel leak

Went to work on getting my truck up and running today. It's been 2 years since I've started it, and 3 or 4 years since it was really driven. Got it fired up. and let it idle while I was checking things out. All of a sudden it started POURING gas from somewhere near the pump area around the top...
  2. L

2" Drop Pitman Arm

My truck has a 2" lift utilizing stock axle pivot brackets. Obviously the steering doesn't sit level. With so many pitman arms out there designed for 4" of lift, which really only provide 2" of drop, it would be easy for me to swap in one of these and level out the steering. BUT, would that...
  3. L

J706 Winch Standards

Does anyone have a link to the J706 Standards, I can't seem to find one? I'm looking at winches, some of them meet the standards, some don't, so it would be nice to know what they have to do to pass the J706.
  4. L

Power Steering Pump Cooler

I've got a cooler and all the hose/fittings to put a power steering pump cooler on the X. It would make my life 100 times easier if I mounted the cooler behind the radiator, in front of the fan. I'm just worried that the heat from the radiator might increase the temps of the steering fluid...
  5. L

Tinned Cables

This thread could have gone a few different places, but I figured you Audio guys would know the most about wires. I'm planning out a dual battery relocation. I've started collecting some of the parts that I need, and now I'm starting to look into what wires I'll be buying. I began looking...
  6. L

How to: build the shift linkage for a manual t-case

Since the stock shifters are made of unobtanium, many people who swap in a manual case will have to make their own shift linkages. This might scare some people from the swap, but if you have enough mechanical knowledge to be able to swap t-cases then you should be able to make a linkage for it...
  7. L

Gas Tank in Cab??? Safe?

Can you put a regular gas tank in the cab instead of using a fuel cell? I'd assume that it would hold in vapors and whatnot, and pretty much function the exact same as a fuel cell. But, I've never seen anyone do it. The reason I'm asking is because I just picked up a 35 gallon tank from a...
  8. L

8.8 Aussie Center clearance

I just finished installing my new-to-me Aussie locker in the 8.8. Everything looks good, and it's operating as it should. But, the center clearance is only .140, instead of the .145-.170 it should be. Perhaps caused by used springs? Since it seems ok I was planning on buttoning up the rear...
  9. L

Show me your aftermarket fuse blocks

Like it says, I want to see your aftermarket fuse blocks, where they are located, what brand they are, how much you paid, where you bought them, what's the max amperage one circuit can hold? I'm tired of the rat's nest of wires I have under the hood with wires and fuses running everywhere. I'm...
  10. L

steering pump filler neck / O-Ring??

Does the power steering pump have an o-ring that goes on the little dip stick you pull out to check/add fluid? I noticed my cap fits on very loosely, as if there should be an o-ring on it to keep it tight. Can someone run out to their truck and check it for me? Thanks guys.
  11. L

Engine never warms up

My truck used to always warm up to the "O" in "Normal" on the coolant temp sensor. A while ago it started never reaching the "N" but staying to the left of it. I figured I had a thermostat that was stuck opened. I replaced the thermostat last week. Same problem. I tested the old thermostat...
  12. L

Water in Diff causing vibration like bad u-joint?

Now that I know that there was water in the diff I thought I'd rename the thread, and edit the 1st post with a new question related to the original (instead of making a new thread). So, the reason I decided to pull off the rear diff was because I already had the truck up high on some tall...
  13. L

XP8 4 Sale

Saw this on e-bay. Thought you guys might want to drool at it for a bit. e-bay
  14. L

Little X's 1354 T-Case Rebuild

If you read this thread then you know that I was pretty much given a broken manual 1354. So armed with the pdf schematic at the bottom of this page I started the break down to see what was broken and if I could fix it. I have pretty much completed the brake down so far, so I’ll be writing the...
  15. L

Rockwell's are going in.

This should be sweet. I don't remember ever seeing an explorer on here with rockwells. A few people have talked about it. Correct me if I'm wrong. Click Here
  16. L

Testing a t-case before installation

I just got a manual t-case off e-bay for a good price. I was messing around with it while it's sitting on my coffee table and noticed something alarming. I can select the setting by hand, but no matter where I put the selection lever, when the input shaft spins, only the rear drive shaft...
  17. L

How to: In-Dash Winch Controls

First a disclaimer: what you do to your truck is your fault and no one else’s. Even if you follow my steps to a tee, if you mess anything up, including yourself, it’s your fault, not mine, EF’s, or any third party’s. I always wanted to put in-dash winch controls in my truck. But I had...
  18. L

What is a front D-44 worth?

A guy around here is selling a pair of axles. He wont part them. I really want one of them, and the price for both isn't bad. I was thinking of buying them both and trying to sell the one I don't want. It's a full width D-44 Front with good brakes, 5.13 gears, and welded spider gears. I'm...
  19. L

Trunk Light Diagram Help

This isn't my X, but DC current is DC current, and a relay is a relay, no matter what vehicle, soo: When I got my civic the PO had disconnected the interior trunk light, and had put in a 12” red neon in its place. This is cool with me, but the 1 neon just isn’t enough light to see squat at...
  20. L

How to: How to: Push Button Starter

First off: What you do to your truck is done by you, not me. This is just an overview of what I have done to my truck. If you do the same and it F’s your truck up, or someone steals it, or you kill yourself, It’s Not My Fault! This is a write up of how to install a push button starter on...
  21. L

Ranger leaf spring hangers & shackles on explorer?

Is the rear frame of a ranger/explorer the same? I have a 91 4-door. And I want to do a SOA without gaining 5-6" of lift. Could I steal the spring hanger and shackle assembly from a ranger and move my springs to the outside of the frame so as to do a SOA and gain little to no lift? . . .just...
  22. L

5 pin relay wire guide

help-5 pin relay wire guide? I'm in the middle of doing a direct relay to my headlights. I am using 2 5 pin relays. I've only ever used a 4 pin, so I wanted to double check this: 30-Power from Battery 85-'trip' wire 86-Ground 87-Power out #1 87a-Power out #2 Makes since, because the...
  23. L

Double Clutch

I had been having some difficulty shifting so I recently started double clutching. My truck still drives ok down shifting normally, but I figured I could make the starting to fail syncros last forever if I never use them again. I think that from now on I will always double clutch my vehicles...
  24. L

How to bed line your floor

This is an article I wrote up on how to bed line the floor of your truck. sXc DIY Bed Liner
  25. L

How to remove your doors

This is a how to article I wrote up on how to remove your doors and put them back on. xSc DIY Doors
Back