Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. R

Buying a new Explorer - need tribal knowledge

In my search for a new(er) 3rd gen Explorer I have driven ‘04’s and ‘05’s and they seem pretty much the same to me. If I were driving blindfolded (bad idea) I couldn’t tell which was which. I looked through a Consumer Reports magazine the other day and it listed the 05’s as having a much better...
  2. R

Info-Setup-Reset What would you buy?

The plot thickens, the one dealer calls me back this morning and complicates my decision, I was set on the V6. Now he has a clean ‘05 XLT V8 with the in dash computer thing on the lot at a grand more because it’s extra clean. I did go look at it at lunch time and it is very clean and I do like...
  3. R

Info-Setup-Reset What would you buy?

I'm looking at two 2005 XLT Sports, the one I like with the V8 does not have the Info-Setup-Reset feature, the V6 does. Does this really make a difference? Does anyone use it after the first six months? I guess I could go either way on the engine, but this feature has me wondering if it's that...
  4. R

A/C overcharge?

Thanks for the advice. I’ve got access to a set of 134 gauges that I used for filling my leaky system in the past. Is there an r134a chart that calculates what pressures I should have a set temperatures? If so, would it be possible to check the system myself and see if I’m in the ballpark?
  5. R

A/C overcharge?

Hi All! I just had the A/C repaired on my 97 Explorer, after not working for a year what a treat. They replaced the leaking accumulator and refilled the system. It seems to be working just O.K. the air is cool, but not cold. I was looking over my bill and I was charged for 36oz. of r134a and...
  6. R

Power steering Mercon V

This may or may not be a problem. I just drained and refilled my 97's power steeing with Mercon V thinking it was regular Mercon. :eek: I'm not that up on all the different flavors of AFT. I was reading the Explorer specs and they say Mercon in the p/s, the back of the bottle says it's...
  7. R

Cold weather starting issue

Just FYI- I went to NAPA and bought an IAC instead of the MAF based on their recommendation. It took all of 15 minutes to install, and it starts like new. Problem solved. Thanks for all the help along the way!
  8. R

Well, yesterday when I left work it was 14 degrees. I left the key turned on in the ignition for a good minute before I tried starting it up. No change, it actually took three times to get it started? Last night while I shoveled the driveway for 45 minutes I had the battery unhooked. I hooked...
  9. R

That's a good question? When I had the manifold o-rings replaced at the dealer they took it upon themselves to replace the supposedly faulty MAF at $280 bucks. :confused: It never started the same after that. I mean, I used to just touch the key and it was running; now I have to hold the...
  10. R

I'll give this a try, the price is right! If I can just remember to not jam the key in and turn. This would be great if it solves the problem. Thanks for the help. ;)
  11. R

Keep it or get rid of it

If you want to keep the full coverage and save some money why don't you raise your deductable to $500 or $800. I just raised the deductable on my '97 from $250 to $750 and it saved me $125/yr.
  12. R

Does the MAF affect the start-up mode? I’m thinking mine might be going bad. Ever since I had the MAF replaced the engine takes a split second longer to start. I might be on the wrong track. What sensors affect cold start-up?
  13. R

What would cause this or has anyone else run across the same problem. Whenever I start my 97 Explorer on a cold morning (20 degrees or below) or after it’s sat for more then about 6-8 hours it fires up for about 1 second then dies. The second time I hit the key it starts just fine. This is...
  14. R

Alternator - Slow idle?

If it is the alternator, does anyone have advice on "new vs. reman" or a brand name to look for? Just doing a quick search I see a vast price range. thanks for the help
  15. R

New tire time: suggestions sought.

aldive, I shopped most of the major tire centers and ended up at Firestone. I bought a set of the Destination LE's to replace the BFG Long Trails that served me well for 52K. I'm very pleased with the smoother ride and the price for a top rated tire was very resonable. I paid $79 for the...
  16. R

Alternator - Slow idle?

Yes, it does drop the battery gage a little. I notice that the lights also dim a bit at the same time. I don't notice it when I'm driving, just at idle. I just replaced both belt tensioners because I thought they whining. It cured about 50% of the noise, but I think the alternator might be...
  17. R

Alternator - Slow idle?

Check this out. Lately when I put my windows up I can almost stall the engine at idle? The RPM's drop from about 900 to under 300 when the window hits full up. Is this some type of electrical draw on the alternator or does it sound like the alternator is going bad? I just replaced the original...
  18. R

Steering boot replacement

Hi All, I was just digging around under the hood when I spotted something shiny… that’s odd! My steering boot on the rack & pinion was torn in half. I imagine this is an area that needs to be covered if I want the rack to last. How much of a job is it to replace? How do you replace...
  19. R

Firestone LE or AT

Destination LE or AT Hi all, :) It's time to replace the BFG Long Trails with something new. I got 35K out of the BFG’s with lots of tread left but one tire has developed some kind of tread tumor. Shakes like crazy at 40 and 70 MPH. (then don’t drive at 40 or 70!) I’ve been looking...
  20. R

Ungodly Noise Under Hood

I just replaced the idler and tensioner pulleys. It was making a whining noise after it warmed up. About $30 and an hour of wrench twirling. I’d check the pulleys?
  21. R

Tire Thumping

When I said it has a flat spot, I should have said it 's more out of round. As I spin the wheel it looks fine for 95% of the circumference then it has this slightly depressed area. I'm amazed that this doesn't throw the whole wheel more out of whack at highway speeds? Does this sound like a...
  22. R

Tire Thumping

It's right on the tread of the tire, about 5" or 6" long. I would image they come with a standard BFG 50K pro-rated warranty, I don't think that'll do much at this point. I'm thinking I can't just replace one, especially on the rear. As small as it may be I'll have two different diameter...
  23. R

Tire Thumping

I've noticed this vibrating/thumping at highway speeds and a sort of sideways wobble at 5-10 mph lately. I just had the wheels rotated and balanced about 500 miles ago. So, last night I jacked up the back wheels and started turning them around as fast as I could and discovered flat/depressed...
  24. R

Shock Upgrade for Better Ride

I just put a set of Reflex shocks on last weekend...I can't believe the difference. At 69K it was ready for something new. The OEM shocks were gone. They weren't leaking, just worn out. Now at highway speeds it doesn't drift and wander like it use to. The really made a BIG difference. I think...
  25. R

re-Painting Spare Tire?

7 years and the spare has only been down twice, once to get the Firestone tire off and last night to install new shocks. While I have it off does anybody have a good method of re-painting the spare wheel? I'm thinking wire brush and some rust-o-leum? or would that texturized bed liner paint be...
Back