Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. G

Explorer Engine Swap

I don't think I have any valve damage, but I have 140k on my 97, and I can get a 2003 from a wrecked X for cheap. Less than it would cost for labor to change the timing chain tensioners probably, and I could probably fix any problems with the 03 while its out of the vehicle. However, im not...
  2. G

Explorer Engine Swap

I am thinking about swapping my 97's engine, with a 2003. Would the computer work with it, or would I need to get the computer from the 2003 also. Unless there is an easier way to fix mine. It has the Loud Rattle, and it idles rough, and when its cold it hesitates for the first couple minutes.
  3. G

ATTN: Flowmaster Dual 40 Series Owners

I have a super 40 series flow master, with dual inlet and single outlet. Very good sound. the guy at the muffler shop cut an extra inlet in the muffler, because it has a space that is made for another inlet that is not cut. If you want to go with a single muffler this is a good setup. super...
  4. G

Sticking Gas Pedal

I had that same problem about a month ago, mine would start running real rough, and i could smell fumes bad and all, and the gas pedal would do that. But it would only do it intermittantly, and then it just quit, and hasnt done it in a month. :confused:
  5. G

Loud Clicking Noise when Cold

The clicking noise i have been talking about sounds different than a valve tick, unless all my valves are clicking when i started it. However, just today I was messing around trying to figure out how to fix the idle, and my front valves on the driver side of the engine, at least thats what it...
  6. G

Replace the 5R55E with a Manual Tranny??

Just wondering if this has ever been done. I hate automatics and would love to match my SOHC up to a Manual Tranny, but do not know how hard this would be to do. I know how i could run a shifter and all, but would i be looking at a task thats not really worth it? Let me know what ya'll think.
  7. G

well if thats the problem i'll just let them break and give me an excuse to throw a V8 in it. It'd prolly cost about the same in labor to tear down the engine as it would to buy a v8, plus i could get rid of the sorry tranny, 5r55e, that came with it.
  8. G

flashing o,d light

Mine is doing the exact same thing, i have a 97 with the 5r55e and i had the solenoid replaced and the transmission started acting up again, doing the same thing, hard shifts, and not locking in the torque converter. Let me know if that additive works and what its called. I need something done...
  9. G

Whats a wrist pin? and where would that be located? easy to get to without pulling the engine or must you pull the engine to get to them, and how serious is that? Thanks.
  10. G

A/C On = erratic idle when stopped...

Mine does the same thing. I think what the problem is, is just the idle is low enough that when it kicks on the a/c your engine isnt idling high enough and its causing the rpms to drop. The a/c will cut off the rpms arn't high enough. I had an aftermarket a/c put in a ranger and it did the...
  11. G

I do not know if the timing chain tensioners have been replaced. I just recently bought it from a dealer who I am pretty sure got it from an auction. It had 123,000 miles on it when I got it. So im not sure if it has or not. But I have thought that it could be the problem, but I dont want to...
  12. G

Thanks guys.. Im going to check to see if the starter is hanging sometimes, and if the IAC is dirty.. I'll let everyone know if these 2 things fix it
  13. G

The oil appears to be pumping fine, but then the explorer has a dummy gauge so i'm not real sure how much oil its pumping. I know its getting enough to send the gauge up to normal however. I know i have a valve tick every now and then, but this sound is more like something would be grinding...
  14. G

I have searched everywhere on the internet for something that would help me to figure this out, but can't find anything. When I start the explorer i sometimes have a loud clicking noise, almost like 2 pieces of metal rattling together. It goes away usually when it gets warm, and sometimes it...
Back