Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. M

PTU and Rear Differential (RDU) fill plug access (N/A V6 AWD)

I have a 2018 XLT AWD w/ the N/A 3.5 V6, so the PTU only has a fill plug. Does anyone have any tips on accessing the fill plug of the PTU and RDU? It seems I can get my 3/8" ratchet in there but there doesn't seem to be a lot of room to remove the plugs and the ratchet together. Do I access the...
  2. M

Battery Management System / State of Charge accuracy?

Using FORScan or another scan tool capable of reading BCM PIDs, I noticed the SOC and battery voltage being very different from actual instrumentation used on the battery. My onboard BMS will say that my battery is only 69% SOC with a voltage of 11.9-12.0 VDC whereas my multimeter shows...
  3. M

Serpintine belt replacement questions for NA 3.5 V6

I have a 2018 XLT with the NA 3.5 V6, AWD, and towing package, at 22k miles. Recently cold starts especially when it is moist with precipitation or fog, have resulting in a chirping sound like the belt is going bad. Once the engine is warm or hot, there is no chirping sound. Has anyone...
  4. M

Wheel Well - Fog light access covers loose? (2018)

I have a 2018 XLT without fog lights. I understand 2016-2019 went to LED fog lights but I still see these access covers inside the front wheel wells (forward of the front wheels). They use a push-pin retainer on the top, but these covers are very loose. Loose as in you can push them in and...
  5. M

License Plate Light Housing - moisture?

I have a 2018 XLT with the stock license plate light housings and noticed moisture always gets into them. I leak tested them and nothing comes out, so I am guessing the water is getting through the O-rings for the bulb connector which also twists into the housing (idiotic design). See the...
  6. M

Enabling Remote Start on 2018 Intelligent Access (315 MHz)?

I have a 2018 XLT with the 315 MHz intelligent access fob - no options other than towing package, so I don't have climate control or heated seats or a heated steering wheel. I did a search here and found a thread that talked in-depth about remote start but said the 2016-2019 were 902 MHz remote...
  7. M

Uneven front pad wear?

I noticed that my front brakes seem to wear unevenly. This is after I installed new rotors and pads, and saw how the swept pattern doesn't seem to cover the outer perimeter of the rotor. I had cleaned and lubed the slides but this uneven wear is really apparent on the inboard pads. Is there...
  8. M

3.0 oil pan leaks?

Now that the 2020 STs have been out for awhile, I was wondering if anyone has experienced oil pan leaks on their 3.0? I believe it is still plastic, and the 3.0s for the MKZ/Continental were covered in the same TSB as the 2.7s so I was curious if there was a perma-fix for the 2020 ST. I hear...
  9. M

Oil vapor smell

I have noticed that if I drive the Explorer a bit harder (numerous WOT accel / or downshifts), I start to smell PCV oil vapor in the cabin. If you pop your engine oil filler cap after the engine is shut down from a hot drive, that is the smell I detect inside my cabin. It's not very frequent and...
  10. M

Chicago Idling due to impact from COVID19

Coronavirus leads Ford to close Chicago assembly plant over parts shortage They are idling for at least 2 shifts due to a supplier parts shortage. I suspect this will be happening soon at other US plants as well, possibly for longer periods of time. Makes me kind of glad I am not ordering a...
  11. M

Rusty trailer hitches?

For those with the ST or Explorer with the factory trailer hitch, are there any signs of rust? I was driving home from work and was behind a pair of 2020 Explorers. One was a XLT without the tow package, and the other was a ST (both were black). I can see how the blacked-out rear trim makes the...
  12. M

Stock LED headlights vs 2016-2019

How are the 2020s stock LED headlights in comparison to the 16-19? I love the LED headlights on my 2018 XLT. They light up the road even in the rain with great peripheral lighting, and i dont have foglights. My 2017 fusion sport led headlights pale in comparison.
  13. M

Tech Package Worth It? Specifically massaging seats

I watched the 2020 Explorer review by Savage Geese on YouTube (their reviews are awesome, totally spot on for a lot of the other cars) and he showed how horrible the 10 inch screen was with respect to the backup camera view. He briefly mentioned how the massaging seats were meh, and the 2 extra...
  14. M

Factory oil coolers on the ST?

Can anyone confirm if the ST comes with an external engine oil cooler and an auxiliary transmission oil cooler? Any idea about an oil cooler for any of the differentials or transfer case? The external oil cooler would be right next to the oil filter with 2 rubber coolant hoses assuming they use...
  15. M

2021 order availability and lead-time?

Does anyone know when the ordering will start for 2021s? I believe they opened up the ordering for the 2020 last January with pricing in early February. I thought they would do the same thing this year, but it seems like the final order date for 2020s would be April 2 (a bit earlier for the...
  16. M

Overall impressions of the 2020 Explorer?

Since the 2020 Explorer has been on the road for months, I was wondering if it is worthwhile to upgrade to the 2020 Explorer? I've got my 18 XLT AWD right now (N/A 3.5), biggest problem is lack of power. I managed to tune what I could out of the engine and trans. The difference is now night and...
  17. M

Radio not eligible for free Sirius XM offer ??

My 2018 XLT has the base SYNC APIM (the 4.3" screen, all mechanical buttons). Sirius XM worked fine when I first got the vehicle and I never resubscribed. Right now there's a free trial Sirius XM and all of my other vehicles with Sirius/XM work fine during the trial period, except for this...
  18. M

Police Interceptor delays

Cops wonder about Police Interceptor SUVs disrupted as Ford manages manufacturing issue The quality issues seem to be real, delays are even impacting the PIU.
  19. M

2017-up 3.5: PTU or water pump failures

Has anyone with a 2017-2019 3.5L Explorer experienced PTU failures or leaks? How about the internal water pump? I know these are still relatively new and low mileage but I am still curious.
  20. M

Explorer ST - oil pan design?

For those that have the Explorer ST with the 3.0, can you check to see what type of oil pan you have? Is it black plastic with a yellow drain plug? Or is it aluminum?
  21. M

Owner's manual notes

I was looking at the 2020 Explorer owner's manual to get an idea of what is in the SUV. The CD6 design looks a lot like the Mustang S550 from the engine compartment. In any case, the manual rated the 3.0 at 400 hp, 415 ft-lb with a max boost of 18 psi. Forged rods and crank, cast pistons. Looks...
  22. M

Windshield wiper smearing

The driver's side wiper on my Explorer is smearing on the return swipe. Upon closer inspection, it looks like the center part of that blade has more contact on the windshield on the return swipe, causing the smearing. I'm not sure which way to bend/twist/adjust the arm. It seems like I need less...
  23. M

Water Pump Re-Design

I recall reading in a thread on another forum where a Ford dealer mentioned a possible re-design for the infamous 3.5 water pump. Does anyone have any updates on this? I did some digging, and my 2018 XLT shows up in the Ford catalog as using AT4Z-8501-B water pump, which seems to carry a 2010MY...
  24. M

PTU and Water Pump failures for 2012/2016-up Explorers?

I tracked down the part #s and service cut-in dates for the latest parts and found that Ford used the same AT4Z-8501-B water pump from 2 JAN 2012 and newer. Doing Google searching, a lot of the water pump failures were related to pre-2012 engines. Has anyone with a 2013 or newer Explorer (or...
  25. M

Rubber bushing sound when cold

My 2018 makes a rubber bushing rubbing sound when turning while the car is cold. Like when I first turn out of my driveway after a cold start. My 2014 SHO did this as well. Once after it does it, I won't hear it again until the next cold start. The ambient temperature doesn't seem to affect...
Back