Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. 0

o/d light flash on dash

The OD light flashed on my 99 XLT. I was 400 miles from home so I took it to the closest Ford dealer. The dealer said I wouldn't make it home and needed to replace my entire transmission. I asked for the code numbers they pulled and called my local shop back home. My local shop said it...
  2. 0

How many miles on your 2ND GEN EX?

Just sold my 99 XLT SOHC V6 with 215,000. Original engine and tranny both were still running smooth. I replaced it with a 97 EB V8 and with only 130,000 I consider it barely broken in!
  3. 0

Clicking Noise in Center Console when HVAC is on

Fix for ticking clicking noise in center console - 97 Eddie Bauer The ticking/clicking noise was really getting to me so I opened up the center console. After completely tearing apart the arm rest part of the center console I got to the blower motor. Attached to the blower motor housing is a...
  4. 0

Power antenna to fixed?

I know this thread is kinda old but since when I was searching I couldn't find a definitive answer and now since I just tried this I thought I would share my results. Survey says.... Yes, yes you can. I took a power antenna off a 97 Eddie Bauer and replaced it with a fixed antenna off a 99...
  5. 0

Center console arm rest ticking/clicking noise?

I watched you vid. I saw it shows that you found it was the flap, but did you ever figure out how to fix the flap? Thanks UPDATE: The ticking/clicking noise was really getting to me so I opened up the center console. Attached to the blower motor housing is a white box. The noise was...
  6. 0

Clicking Noise in Center Console when HVAC is on

I have 97 EB and also have the HVAC related clicking noise. Did you find out what was the cause?
  7. 0

Replace sub with storage pocket?

The factory sub set up in my EX looks just like this one. Only difference with the pic is that I have the tan interior. Link: http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/3/3520/3221/33799110043_large.jpg When I unplugged the black plug going into the top of the amp it cut out the sub...
  8. 0

Replace sub with storage pocket?

Yeah you read that right, I want to remove my sub and replace it with the storage pocket. I had a 99 explorer XLT for the last 10 years and recently purchased a 97 Eddie Bauer. The 97 has the sub but I got used to the storage pocket and found it really handy for holding my trailer hitch...
  9. 0

Same owners manual for all trim levels on 97 X's?

Thanks for the quick replies guys!
  10. 0

Same owners manual for all trim levels on 97 X's?

Does anyone know if the same owners manual was used for all the different trim levels on the 97 explorers? Thanks
  11. 0

Oil Pan 98 SOHC (rusted THROUGH!!)

I did this last weekend on my 99 with the 4.0 V6 SOHC. Thanks to this write up and some tips from other forum members I had no problems. Tips I used: I ordered the pan from www.fastpartsnetwork.com for $48.16, I used a scoop/funnel made from an old plastic bottle to direct the oil into my...
  12. 0

Fog Lamp Mod 2001 (1999-2001?) Explorer

99 XLT - Quick easy mod. I did this last night to my 99 XLT. It took less then 5 min and I love the results. Fog lights plus high beams really lights up the road. This thread has grown very long, but for anyone with a 99, looking to do the very simple "cut off one tab" version, the best...
  13. 0

Little boat on top of Explorer

I will have to see if I can find some pics but I have transported a 14 foot jon boat numerious times on top of my 1999 explorer. This was not just a trip around the corner either, I have taken it from the DC area to the Jersey Shore (200+miles). Other than really lousy gas milage (wind drag) I...
  14. 0

Towing mirror extender recommendations?

Found one! I looked around on the net for a while and didn't really find what I was looking for. Then the other day I was walking through Walmart and they had exactly what I needed. Straps on to the 1999 Explorer's existing side view mirror and works great. About $20.
  15. 0

4 PIN to 5 PIN wiring adapter

I originally posted this in the "Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers" forum back in March: I got my answer & I thought I would share with the rest of you. Here's the link: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1967686#post1967686 Quick version: Advance Auto Parts has one...
  16. 0

How?? 4 pin plug change to 5 pin -Need to tow boat

Update! I meant to update this a while ago, but anyway... I went to Advanced Auto parts and they had an adapter for about $6 bucks. It simply plugs into the existing straight 4 pin connector with an extra wire that you run to your tailight. It has a quick connect crimp on splice so you...
  17. 0

Towing mirror extender recommendations?

I want to get those mirror extenders for the side view mirrors on my 99 explorer. I tow a 20 foot boat with a 8 foot beam and would like to be able to see around it better. I'm looking at the temp kind that I can easily put on or take off to use only when towing. Anyone got any...
  18. 0

How?? 4 pin plug change to 5 pin -Need to tow boat

Hey Everyone. I'm buying a boat, it's trailer has a 5 pin flat wiring connector. My 'X' is a 99 XLT with a 4 pin flat wiring harness. Does anyone know where to find an adapter to go from a 4 pin flat to a 5 pin flat. I've searched all over the forums, and came up empty handed...
  19. 0

Replace Oil Pan on a 99 X ?

I'm pretty sure its not aluminum. I'll take a pic and post. Plus it seems I'm not the first to have had this problem... http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=158086&highlight=Replace+Oil+Pan
  20. 0

Replace Oil Pan on a 99 X ?

The other day I noticed a few drops of oil on my driveway so I decided to take a look under my X. What I found is that my oil pan is almost completely rusted through. So I need to change mine out. My Questions are, is this as straight forwards as it seems? Just unbolt, new gasket and new...
  21. 0

Michelin LTX M/S max psi?

Mich LTX M/S I am on my second set of LTX M/S's. I can't say enough good things about them. I've always run mine at the recomended PSI and I got just over 80,000 out of my first set. I've got about 60,000 on my second and they are still looking good. I mostly stay on the pavement but they...
  22. 0

WTF? Smoke from steering column, think it's turn signal

I had this problem a few years back with my 1999 Ex. It happened a few times, I never did anything about it. ( Well , I took it to the closest dealer the first time, they were clueless.) It hasn't come back.
  23. 0

Window Weatherstripping from jcwhitney?

Has anyone ever tried the weather stripping jcwhitney sells for the drivers side window? I have a 1999 4dr and the window is getting loud with wind noise. The dealer wants $160 for the stock replacement. Jcwhitney.com has a few from $10 -$60. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks
  24. 0

Help! Need advice on Timken Hub quality ASAP

OK, Here's my deal. About a year ago my front left hub went bad. I followed the how-to from this forum and it worked great. That is until exactly one day after the warrenty was up. Then that grinding/whirrrring noise came back. I though it was the same hub but sometimes it sounded like...
  25. 0

How To: Replacing Front Hub / Bearing 1995+ Ford Explorer IFS

I did this exactly 1 year and 6 days ago, I followed this how to and it worked great. That is until 5 days ago. Yup exactly 1 day after the warrenty was up the noise started coming back. Anyone have any idea what could make the hub go bad again that quickly? Thanks Oh yeah, My Ex is...
Back