Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. T

Stiff torsion bolts

My bolts are stiff and won't move with normal force, even when lub'd with WD-40. Just how strong are these bolts? I can get a really big breaker bar or possibly an impact wrench, but I don't want to snap the bolt. If there's a high chance of that I'll just take it to a stealership and have them...
  2. T

Good 6x8's? What to get?

I like my Boston Acoustics S85s. Highs just as good as the Infinitys but with more bass and mids. Can't go wrong with Alpines either. Infinitys have great highs, and so might sound good, provided you have some high reaching subs.
  3. T

Remote Wire ? Where ?

Run it off the switched power wire. And don't run the turn on down the same side as the RCAs, run it down the side with the power wire. Even the little turn on can cause interference.
  4. T

Subs in my F150

the f150online forums are pretty good. From what I remember you can do what you're wanting to do, but you'll have to actually mount the rear seats higher.
  5. T

Stupid blown fuses. Need help

I fried the amp. I replaced it with my old amp and that works fine, hooked it up on the test stuff at work and it wouldn't power on. I fried something inside of it. Luckily, it has a 2 year warranty and is being sent back Crutchfield for service.
  6. T

Stupid blown fuses. Need help

Amp won't turn on. Need help. I finished my box and reinstalled it complete with cap, full 2 subs and everything today. Was working fine, but now for some reason, a blown fuse I'm guessing, the amp won't power on. Before you jump to conclusions, I don't have a fuse on the power wire, that's...
  7. T

Pioneer Audio Troubles

They won't be able to switch out just the faceplate more than likely, I'd just rip it out and swap out the whole unit. Plus then if it isn't the faceplate(I've been wrong before), you'll still be covered.
  8. T

Pioneer Audio Troubles

The faceplate is probably broken. You don't want to see how those things come in on the truck. And Pioneers have a pretty high DOA rate anyways. As far as the XM goes, all you should have to do is switch the input to XM and it should play. You might have to adjust the setting when the HU is...
  9. T

Electrical upgrade for stereo

I would say put a civic engine in the back to drive one giant alternator, or better yet, just use this civic engine as an alternator. You'll need that much power :P With 6000W RMS you can go for a single REALLY big cap, or lots and lots of smaller ones. I'd personally so go with a single big...
  10. T

Amplifier Install, Will This Work?

Get a good alarm and a gun, or put a viper alarm sticker and an NRA sticker on the back of your truck. Or both.
  11. T

Sub box time... questions as well

Update time: Box is built, ended up being changed around some to fit in with Alpine's recommended specs, and I decided to fiberglass the sides to the rear(someday). Currently it's only holding the 1 Type-R and it pounds. Also dims the lights when sitting still. On Friday I'll be getting my...
  12. T

Need help picking a sub

Crutchfield's service is great. Unfortunately the Perfects are very succeptible to damage. I had a tear in the surround on my first one, and the second one kinda fell apart. The Perfects were out of stock when I sent mine back though, so I ended up with my new amp instead :)
  13. T

Mazda3?

What are y'alls opinions on them? Anyone have one? I have an annual review coming up very soon at work and should be expecting a very very large increase in pay. So I was thinking about getting myself a new car so I wouldn't have to worry about most things. My sup has the 3 hatchback, and I...
  14. T

99 Explorer Limited

Yes, and no. You can retain the controls with the use of a special wiring unit, Crutchfield and many other palces sell them. But your new unit has to come with an IR remote.
  15. T

Need help picking a sub

Personally, I'd go with the Alpine Type-E . But I'm a registered Alpine *****. The Infinity Kappas are nice as well, and with that little power going to it you should be fine. But like they said, it's really a matter of personal preference. Some people like the distortion that Sony subs make...
  16. T

Need Help!1995 Stock CD System

Pioneer and Kenwood both make nice double DIN units, they'll look closest to stock that you'll get. I'd say get an MP3 CD player and copy your cassettes over to your ocmputer, then burn them as MP3 files onto a CD. Finding a unit that does cassettes and CDs will be rough, as cassettes are...
  17. T

'97 XLT Audio Power Issues

Should be red.
  18. T

98+ has the internal amps.
  19. T

Replaced Factory Stereo

Nope, but I've fiberglassed over an opening like that and put in switches for interior cathode tubes and exterior lights. Came out OK, the last layer of matt looks bad because it wasn't laid on flat. My personal opinion is it'll look kinda tacky because you'll see exactly where the light is...
  20. T

95, 96, and 97. But you have to match it with the level of stereo it has now. Which will probably be Premium. It's easier and most cost effective to go aftermarket. Plus it'll sound better.
  21. T

Relay it off the switched power wire... which might not work if thats the problem. Just for fun, take a multimeter or test light and hit your switched power wire when the truck is in acc position.see if any power is coming through.
  22. T

Running a new wire off the battery isn't too hard. Especially if you've already done it a few times, then it's cake. Other than that... try hooking up another CD player in there or something. If you get the same results then you know it's the wiring. There's a grommet under where your parking...
  23. T

Stereo Stolen

"Weighs over 80 pounds" Dear lord. Two of those and a box is like having a really fat person in your truck at all times. The thing is massive. I don't think I'd even want that much bass. Guaranteed to rattle your car apart.
  24. T

Double DIN Install....

It's just a standard ford harness. If you go to Best Buy or CC and tell them what kinda car you have and if it has premium or mach soud or whatever they'll get you set up with it. They may also have the Double DIN Dash kit for it as well.
  25. T

Probably a bad power or ground wire. If there's a bad connection that could explain why it somestimes works and sometimes doesn't. That's my opinion, others might have other opinions though.
Back