Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. F15E_WSO

Time to replace the '02 Explorer, do I get 2016 or 2017?

All, 4th Explorer may be inbound, had a '92, '02, '01 Sport for my son. Now am looking at the 2016 and 2017, hopefully both Certified Pre-Owned from Ford. I have looked at reviews from Consumer Reports, USNEWS, KBB and a few others and the 2016 is getting beat up in reliability, reviews...
  2. F15E_WSO

Size and "Font" of "Explorer" letters on door/side panel

All, I searched the body work & detailing threads and could not find the dimensions or "style" or font or whatever you want to call our Explorer letters on the side of the 2001 Sport truck. I googled "Chrome letters, emblems" and got a variety of sites happy to send me any letters I want at a...
  3. F15E_WSO

Thin cracks in sidewalls.....?

My wife drives on some Michelin's that are about 4 yrs old. There are some very thin hairline cracks and blemishes in the sidewalls. Some of the cracks or deterioration is linked to little bumps and raises that are the lettering, pattern, text, crosshatching on the sidewalls. I hesitate to...
  4. F15E_WSO

Removal of windshield wiper plastic "tray" for painting....?

All, the plastic "tray" on my '02 explorer is very faded and needs refreshing with some black Krylon Fusion. Has anyone ever removed this piece and if so can you provide some tips? Thanks in advance
  5. F15E_WSO

Oil Change "trick" or smart technique....

On the phone with my College Kiddo yesterday and he was changing the oil in his car and a buddies at the same time (economy of effort) last weekend. Well the buddy drains his oil and removes the filter. Waits a few minutes then drops one fresh quart of oil into the fill and lets it just...
  6. F15E_WSO

Dead Cigarette lighter/12V Power outlet.....

All, this didn't feel like a post for the interior/accessories forum. Mods feel free to move as needed. Here's a YGTBSM event. I go to plug in the Garmin into the 12v pwr in the center console of my 2002 Exp. Well the little black plug disintegrates while I am pushing it in the power...
  7. F15E_WSO

Mask/Repair minor cracks in Drivers seat?

All, My driver's seat in '02 EXP has minor cracks and blemishes from me sliding in and out, sitting for 90K, just wear and tear. The other seats are all pristine as about 75K of those miles I was alone. There are NO tears, full up rips, anything to "patch". I read many posts here about...
  8. F15E_WSO

Painted Center Console and Radio Bezel

Had annoying squeak in center console so when I finally got the console out (Big Thanks to ncranchero) elected to paint the console and radio bezel black. Motivated by postive results from others and new look it would give the truck. When spring comes will do some door trim and other plastic...
  9. F15E_WSO

Squeak from center console; 2001 Explorer Sport

There is a very annoying squeak coming from the center console passenger side front of our 2001 Explorer sport. We tried to remove this thing months ago and had no luck, we took off the storage box, removed the bolts at the back and got most of it loose or free but could not get the thing...
  10. F15E_WSO

Can you install an Aux jack on an OEM 6 Disc Stereo HU?

Was shopping for an Aux RCA adapter to wire into the standard Ford Head Unit (Model # 1L2F-18C815-LA) stereo harness and the guy on the phone was pretty adamant that with the 20 pin connector on my 2001 Explorer Sport the set up will not work. For the Aux connector to work you would need...
  11. F15E_WSO

No luck with a fuel filter removal

Got a CEL with a P0171 Lean fault, tried the IAC and Mass Air Flow sensor but it persists, others suggested replace the fuel filter so tired that next. Got the filter and the disconnect packet of plastic rings, could not get the 3/8th ring/clip to release the lines. The plastic removal...
  12. F15E_WSO

When Krylon Fusion and Plastic Trim meet on a 2001 Explorer Sport

Recently bought 2001 Exp Sport for my son, Gold. Grey and that's faded grey trim - tupperware all around. Not looking too strong. Saw some posts here that it was possible to remove the trim and paint with Krylon Fusion. So we plunged in. Did some Mx work on the truck first and each time...
  13. F15E_WSO

Turn Signal Arm won't stay engaged......2001 Exp Sport

All, I scrubbed this forum for this problem, found mention of the MFS but that was mostly about the buzzing, general misbehavior within the MFS and electrical problems. This seems to be purely mechanical or worn out. I have the issue that the turn signal arm won't stay "locked" if there...
  14. F15E_WSO

How many quarts on a 5R55E Filter change....

All, scoured the threads and am looking for how many quarts to needed to top off of a Filter change in the tranny indicated in the subject line? Manual says 10.3 qts capacity but as I understand not all will come out, some will remain in lines, case, cooler etc.... I have 6 qts in the bag...
  15. F15E_WSO

Tranny filter change on 2001 Explorer Sport, V-6, automaitc 4x4

All, have trolled the tranny section for 3 days now and still not sure on removal of the pan for my model. If someone will explain the door decal for me I will post that additional information in order to get some better information. My son's new Explorer has 91K, previous owner said he did...
  16. F15E_WSO

Left Rear Brake/turn light inop

All, My son had a friendly conversation with the local police yesterday about his left rear light assembly; got off with a warning. As this is the policeman near the high school suspect that is his only warning. I bought replacement bulbs last night and grabed the trusty phillips...
  17. F15E_WSO

"noisy" center console 2001 2 dr Sport; removal or tightening

All, Just bought a 2001 2 Dr Sport and it has the long center console. It has AC/Radio controls for the back and stretches until it comes in contact with the dash. COmpared to my 2002 Explorer this thing is a noisy rattle trap. It is empty (the car is new) and it just makes tons of squeaks...
  18. F15E_WSO

Urgent...Buying opportunity 2001 Explorer Sport....thoughts.

All, shopping for my son who just got a license. He is looking at SUVs and leans towards Jeep Cherokee (ugh). He has $5K to spend. Today we looked at a 2001 Ford Expl Sport 2 Dr. 4.0L V6 SOHC, 4WD, 91K miles, loaded--sunroof, power windows and locks, 6 Disc Changer stereo, leather seats...
  19. F15E_WSO

2002 Condenser & Drier R&R---need some words please

2002 Condenser & Drier R&R---Lessons Learned Lessons Learned on this job: Not too difficult, knocked this out in 3 hrs at local AFB Auto Skills shop with my 16 yr old son. Shop Techs had the hammer on everything evacuation and recharge, they used an automated machine where the Tech hooked up...
  20. F15E_WSO

EGR solenoid replacement 2002 Expl V-6; YGTBSM!!!

Folks, Need some help here please. I have the SES light on, Went to Advance Auto, took the diagnostic tool, got the 401 code; assured by counter rep that the EGR valve would fix it. Replaced that; got the part late Sunday so squirted some Liquid Wrench on the nuts and threads which made...
  21. F15E_WSO

Car Cover in my future

Moving to Washington DC and anticipate Explorer in driveway Mon-Fri while I ride the subway (4.00/Gal). Rental house has no garage so not an option. Does anyone have any good or bad news stories on storing a vehicle underneath a cover in what will no doubt be a rather wet winter and beyond? I...
  22. F15E_WSO

EGR valve/DPFE removal difficulties

EGR valve/DPFE removal difficulties//Added Final outcome w/ Lessons Learned Members, SES light on 2002 6 cyl,4.0 SOHC w/ 61K miles. Code P0402 indicated EGR but after reading numerous posts on subject will explore DPFE. Finally found the DPFE and my question is how do I get this thing...
  23. F15E_WSO

2002 Explorer AC CLutch will not engage

First post so hope I am not stepping on etiquette... I am overseas and limited repair and parts here. Clutch will not engage, checked diode in power distr box (good). Checked pressure switch and it has 12-14volts. Pulled plug on clutch and it has volts.... Ideas? No visible leaks in AC...
Back