Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. A

Frustrating ignition problem.

Solved. The van ran better for two weeks after finding the wiring problem, but it still had problems when it was cold. Then after that, it started missing all the time. I checked all the wiring and there were no further connection problems. About two years ago, I brought the Aerostar in...
  2. A

I checked on the CPS... over a year old and out of warranty. Late last week I started checking wires one by one. I got through all the wires and found nothing, so I started the engine and started wiggling. One of the first things I grabbed was the coil pack connector. Now, the coil pack...
  3. A

I spent a couple of days testing the fuel system to find out why it's only reading 28psi. Although the fuel pressure regulator seemed fine, I was just about to test it when I thought about the fuel pressure testing tool itself. I hooked it up to my wife's Taurus, which I know is running...
  4. A

Yes, the coil pack was replaced. No change... I replaced the fuel pump and fuel filter today. Before, the fuel pressure stayed at 27psi... now it stays at 28psi, while randomly jumping to 30psi every minute or so. I drove it to the gas station to fill up and I wasn't even sure it would make...
  5. A

I pinched the fuel return line closed... if the regulator was at fault for the low pressure, the pressure should have spiked. It didn't, so I don't think it's the regulator. Also, the fuel pressure held after I turned the engine off. It goes up to 35psi, but then sits there not moving. I left...
  6. A

Yes, the fuel filter was replaced about two years ago... only put about 7,000 miles on it since. A correction though: I looked up the fuel pressure specs... with the key on and engine off, it should be 35-45psi (mine was 7psi). With the engine running it should be 30-35psi (mine was 27psi). A...
  7. A

I was looking through my tools trying to find the part for my compression tester when I came across my new fuel pressure tester. I bought it last year, but forgot all about it. Just for the hell of it, I connected it to my Aerostar along with a vacuum tester connected to the intake manifold. Key...
  8. A

Thanks! Been busy, so I didn't get chance to work on it until the other day. Up until Thursday, my van was running pretty bad... starting it cold, it idled horribly. I'd let it warm up for 6-8 minutes then drive it for about 3-4 before it smoothed out. The last week the MIL went off a half...
  9. A

The plugs and wires are Motorcraft and the CPS was replaced 5K miles ago. Thanks.
  10. A

I have a '97 Aerostar with 4.0L/4WD. For the last three months my Aerostar has been having intermittent problems with misfiring that has been driving me crazy. Out of a seven-day week, there will usually be one or two good days where there is no evidence of a problem at all... the rest of the...
  11. A

Persistent Engine Missing

Solved I didn't have any time to deal with it last week, but I ordered a fuel pressure tester Friday and was awaiting it's arrival yesterday when I decided to take another look at the plugs. When I brought the van in to the shop, they had put new plugs in, and since the problem was the same as...
  12. A

Extended wheel base and towing

The maximum towing weight of the standard Aerostar is 4800lbs... increase it to the extended length, that number drops 200lbs. Add AWD and you'll have to drop it another 200lbs, so you're talking 4400lbs for the AWD XLT. This was most likely due to the fact that the vehicle itself increase in...
  13. A

The scanner is telling me the catalyst monitor test is incomplete. Looking at the PCED manual, it's part of the PCM's software to monitor the effectiveness of the catalytic converter. In order to complete the drive cycle for this test, I must: Start the engine and drive the vehicle for 25...
  14. A

Yes, it also means that I would have to purchase an entire PCM if the ICM was causing trouble. I checked the I/M monitors... the Catalyst Monitor is the only one coming up incomplete. I know what it does, but where is this located? Is it part of the PCM as well? Could an exhaust leak cause...
  15. A

My van doesn't have an ICM. The ignition system is described in the factory manual as follows: Ignition Components, Electronic The electronic ignition (EI) for the 4.0L engine consists of the following components: Crankshaft position sensor (CKP sensor) (6C315) and 36 minus 1 tooth...
  16. A

1997 4.0L, AWD. Yes, it reads I/M monitors, however I can't remember what it displayed. I'll check on that in the morning. O2 sensors are only about 6 months old. The whole 'no CEL' problem is very strange indeed. With all my other vehicles, the CEL always let me know beforehand of any...
  17. A

I thought you were refering to the coil pack. Where is the spark control module? I wasn't aware that the Aerostar had one. Once again, thanks for all the help!
  18. A

I swapped out the crankshaft position sensor today... no change. So I took it for a drive. Misfires during idle, but once you begin driving, the entire van shakes constantly... ranging from a moderate shake to violent. Full throttle, I can feel the engine shake like mad, but the power seems to...
  19. A

The cat seems fine. Power and grounds are good... checked them when all these problems started. No vacuum leaks that I could see (or hear).
  20. A

Yesterday, my Aerostar was even worse... seems to be getting worse each day. Instead of periodic hesitation, it was occurring very regularly... at all times (idling, cruising, accelerating). Ford didn't have the EGR valve in stock, nor did any local part stores. I ended up going home and...
  21. A

No, I didn't have the fuel system checked. I always use good gas, change my fuel filter regularly, and use fuel system cleaner from time to time. I would be shocked to find out it was the fuel system, but I'll see about have the system cleaned professionally. I think I'll pick up an egr valve...
  22. A

Thanks for the responses. This got bad real quick... this morning's ride to work proved that the missing/hesitation was 100% back, if not worse. Misses occationally during acceleration, but it seemed to occur more when I had my foot on the gas only enough to keep the van at a specific speed...
  23. A

About a month ago my Aerostar began missing/hesitating while accelerating every now and then while cold... ran almost perfect when warm (usually). The plugs and wires were only a couple of months old. I didn't have time to deal with it myself, so I brought it to a shop that found a tear in one...
  24. A

Unknown Module on Auto Dimming Mirror

I went to the junk yard yesterday and pulled an auto dimming mirror out of either a Sable or an Explorer (can't remember which one it was). It's a Gentex GNTX-187. The mirror has a module located at the base of where the mirror mounts to the windshield. The mirror itself has a three wire harness...
  25. A

Airbag code 42?

It's behind the trim at the bottom part of the b-pillar.
Back