Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. J

Rough Start - For About 30 Seconds

I have a 2003 Explorer 4.0L XLT 4WD with 301,000 miles. Has a rough starting process that the RPM’s jump up to maybe 1500 and then dip and sometimes stall, it does this RPM cycling a few times but after about 30 seconds, it idles fine and will be fine throughout the day as long as the engine is...
  2. J

Limited slip posi ?

What would I have to do to upgrade a 3.55 4x4 non-LS to LS? --Joe
  3. J

03 Problems

What type of oil filter are you using? There have been several complaints of poor quality oil filters restricting flow and causing this type of noise. Fram has been mentioned as one of the vendors that can result in this problem. I saw this once when I used a lower quality filter and after...
  4. J

98 Ford Explorer O/D Light Blinking

To reset the PCM remove your positive (red) battery wire for about 15 minutes then re-attach, this will reset the computer. I just recently had this issue and it fortunately turned out to be as simple as low transmission fluid. Good luck --Joe
  5. J

Infamous O/D Light Flashing

Thanks for all the responses to date. As a quick update I did degrease the housing and the signs of leakage had not returned after 2 days. At that point I decided it was time to change the fluid and set the level correctly. Being in the NH and having no garage, I decided to have the local...
  6. J

Could Seafoam do this???

The Seafoam works great BUT don't drive more than a couple of local miles at low speeds with it in the crankcase. Seafoam is a very light distillate oil product and WILL thin out your oil in the engine resulting in low oil pressure. Your oil pump and related oil channels in the engine are...
  7. J

Update Today before committing to ordering parts for a VB and an solenoid assembly, I decided to check the transmission oil level, which in these newer Fords is not easy as there is no dipstick (ARRGH!!). To my surprise, I did find that I was down ~ 2.75 quarts. After topping off the fluid I...
  8. J

Update... I was able to scan the codes and got the code P0741 Can anyone help out with the troubleshooting of this issue. In my reading on this site it seems that it has something to do with the torque converter. How can I determine if this is the TCC solenoid or torque converter? Thanks for...
  9. J

I have a 2003 Explorer 4x4 4.0L with 165k and today it began flashing the O/D light. The tranny has been services with Amsoil fluid, a Wix filter, Fords friction modifier and clean the pan out every 50k; I do a complete flush using 12 quarts at that time per AL's writeup. With today's issue I...
  10. J

Thinking of an Upgrade

I have a 03' 4.0L 4x4 and am thinking of upgrading my rear differential as a way to solve the infamous rear end whine. I have 160k on it and it is becoming quite loud at this point. How hard would it be to upgrade the rear differential to a limited slip style? Would it be easier to purchase...
  11. J

water in taillight

The water in the taillights is not from driving them in water, but a manufacturing defect in the mating of the 2 plastic halves. During the manufacturing process, the thermosonic welding of the 2 halves is poorly done allowing for water to enter the top of the housing and accumulate resulting...
  12. J

water in taillight

I had 3" inches of water in my drivers side taillight, there were no obvious cracks in the housing or issues noted with the connector gaskets. I ran a bead of clear Silicone II around the peripheral joint where the red plastic meets the back shell and this solved the problem. --Joe
  13. J

My quest for 30 MPG - Ford Explorer Gas Mileage Tips

ShadyGrady you mentioned in your post here that you used a better fuel injector. Can you provide some info on where to buy these? I am at a stage of needing to replace 2 of them and I would rather replace the set with something better than factory --Joe
  14. J

2002 Electrical issues: door ajar, autolamp, interior lights

As far as the 3rd gen explorers having the door ajar light with the puddle lights not functioning, it is almost always the infamous broken black wire in the wire harness leading to the door inside of that rubber boot. I have fixed 3 of these now and the issue for these at least was not the...
  15. J

Highest / Lowest Mileage

2003 XLT 4.0L 4x4 155k Doing Great! --Joe
  16. J

Idle Problem When Coming To A Stop

How do you troubleshoot the TC? --Joe
  17. J

Idle Problem When Coming To A Stop

I have a 2003 4.0L 4x4 that has been developing a minor issue over the past 6 months. When the temperature outside is roughly 60 degrees or colder and I am coming to a stop, the engine RPMs will dip and sometimes stall. If I catch it in time and put the transmission into neutral I can avoid...
  18. J

Seat Belt Return Mechanism

Thanks for the replies, they are simply not retracting after unbuckling them. Trey will to some degree is coaxed but they will not retract fully so they often get caught in the door --Joe
  19. J

Seat Belt Return Mechanism

I have a 03 4x4 V6 Explorer. The problem I am having is the return mechanism for the seat belts, they really do not work well at all. Can these be cleaned or lubricated safely so they will work? If so how --Joe
  20. J

Front wheel bearings

Yes for the 2003 Explorer 4x4 or 4x2 you will be replacing the hub bearing assy. Rock Auto has them for about $134 . That is the only option. Good luck, it is a pretty easy repair --Joe Order TIMKEN Part # SP470201 $ 134.00 each
  21. J

right or left rear bearing?

Yes all you need is the kit TIMKEN Part # HA590259K, then take the removed knuckle to an automotive machine shop. The kit contains everything they will need to give you back a knuckle with a new bearing and hub. --Joe
  22. J

Front Wheel Bearings (I've searched, I swear)

3rd gen = Third Generation" meaning the late model Explorers are the third major release of the Ford Explorer since its inception in the early 90's. The Explorer essentially replaced the Ford Bronco As far as the procedure the fronts are pretty easy to do. 1.) Remove hub cap and slightly...
  23. J

right or left rear bearing?

Yes you can replace just the bearings, however I would replace the hubs also. There have been several people reporting problems with the hubs after having the bearings pressed in / out. They can sometimes have issues with maintaining their round shape. Given that these bearings only fail ~...
  24. J

What oil do you run?

Amsoil Signature Series 5W-30 15k interval with Wix filter. Currently at 150k, the engine is quiet and runs like new. I initially used Mobile 1 fully syn until the engine had 30k then switched over to Amsoil --Joe
Back