Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. 9

What rims fit?

Hi: Does anyone know if the rims from my x will fit different trucks/car and what year range? I am assuming that the ranger rims are a direct swap. How about the f150, or ford cars, or jeep, etc? There are several nice rims listed locally that I am interested in. I would like some ideas of...
  2. 9

Where is my coolant leak?! - Help Please.

Hi: As others have said you probably have a frost plug leaking. According to your picture I would expect the frost plug located in the the front of the head. In the picture posted by Xeek you can see the frost plug. Same height as the spark plugs but on the front of the head. To get to it you...
  3. 9

1994 explorer Auto hub question

Hi: Generally speaking auto hubs are NOT meant to be serviced. This means that grease should not be added to the hubs, they are not meant to be disassemble and therefore there are no replacement parts, etc. Some members have cleaned the auto hubs using ATF or brake cleaner (harsher) with...
  4. 9

Just can't seem to grip.

Hi: A couple of simple tests to try. With a front wheel off the ground, vehicle well blocked, turn the wheel axle. If the auto hub is working then they should engage and turning the axle will turn the wheel. Try both front wheels in case one hub works and the other does not. Remember, changing...
  5. 9

Bob and weave....

Hi: Glad you got it fixed. Thanks for the update PaMnd
  6. 9

Bob and weave....

Hi: A u-joint will display the symptoms you describe. You can test this by engaging 4wd, jacking one wheel off the ground, and spinning the wheel in the original direction of travel. If the u-joint is bad then the wheel should be hard to spin. Remember if you have auto locking hubs changing...
  7. 9

91 Manual Fix or Part out?

Hi: Just for added info. Bleeding the clutch can be a pain. Do a search on here for several writeups on procedures to bleed the clutch. Could save you a ton of agony. If you can do the work then the x is worth saving. PaMnd
  8. 9

Coolant leak in block

Hi: My 93 x has sprung a coolant leak. By the looks of it, the leak is above the drivers side motor mount. On the drivers side just in front of the mount there is a sender switch (low oil I think) and above that is where the coolant is leaking from. Anybody know if there is a frost plug...
  9. 9

stuck in 4wd

Hi: Another issue to check is the cover on the shift motor. It must be lined up correctly or the internal circuit will not deliver the proper signals. When you look at the cover you will see several gradients which lines up with a gradient on the case. Trust that helps PaMnd
  10. 9

Front Right Wheel Bearings - Help

Hi: Just for information. The Auto Locking 4WD Hub, on most x's, is held in place by the rim which is held in place by the wheel nuts. When you take the rim off the Hub usually comes off as well. If you are lucky you catch it before it falls then you prevent debris from getting into the hub...
  11. 9

High Beams come on after ignition and won't go off until headlight are on

Hi: While the manual is correct for a good working DRL unit you will find that is not the case for a failing DRL unit. The symptoms you describe, and the age of the x, indicates a DRL which has failed. The unit is located just below the drivers head light. If you replace that unit the problem...
  12. 9

1994 stopped running at 65 mph

Hi Your could also have a bad connection or ground at the fuel pump. There is an electrical connector up in the frame rail just behind the fuel tank. It is supposed to be clipped and therefore should not come apart. Mine did and the results were as you describe. A simple test is to disconnect...
  13. 9

What Rads Fit 93 Sport

Hi: Great info. Thanks PaMnd
  14. 9

What Rads Fit 93 Sport

Hi: Sable or Tarus, I would not have expected these. Thanks for the thoughts. As for Bronco/Ranger do you know the year range? I know where a 96 ranger is do you think that would work? Thanks PaMnd
  15. 9

What Rads Fit 93 Sport

Hi: I would like to know what rads will swap into a 93 4x4 sport 5sp? Will the rad from a 150 pickup fit? Thanks for the info PaMnd
  16. 9

4X4 doesn't work on '91

Hi: Therein lies one of the weaknesses of auto hubs. While in 4x4 changing direction will disengage the hubs. The book says 10 to 15 feet but it can happen within inches. This is a problem if you are stuck because you lose 4x4 when you change direction and this can be really hard on the hubs...
  17. 9

4X4 doesn't work on '91

Hi: Just to add one point of clarification. Assuming that you have auto locking hubs then as stated by Iron Weasel "You can shift into 4Hi at pretty much any speed or completely stopped, doesn't really matter.". If you have manual hubs then you must engage the hubs first then shift into or out...
  18. 9

Transfer Case Motor Question, Images

Hi: Somehow I missed that question back in Feb. Although I do not have a definitive answer I believe that the sensor can be bypassed. The 4 x 4 Lo will not engage if speed is sensed. That is you must be at a stop or virtual stop before Lo can be engaged. If you disconnect the speed sensor then...
  19. 9

Front Speed Sensor?

Hi: The answer to you question is in this thread http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=170890 where I had the same problem. Note: I did find the socket at several tool supply stores in town but they had to order them in. Trust that helps PaMnd
  20. 9

won't start, tried everything please help, going to tweak out.

Hi: The solenoid has three wires on it. A battery wire (faces front), a starter wire (faces rear), and a ignition wire (center of solenoid). There a re a couple of simple test that you can do to help narrow down the problem. Use an alligator wire to connect battery wire to ignition wire. A...
  21. 9

Clicking/Clunking in front End

Hi: The Clicking/Clunking sound is probably the hub. There is no difference between the drivers and passenger hubs. When you remove the hub all you should see is the spindle and nut which hold the bearings in place. A test you can run is to remove the driver and passenger hubs, do a short road...
  22. 9

94 Explorer Stalled on me (111 too)

Hi: As KobeJ05 says the fuel pump is located inside the fuel tank. Replacing it requires dropping the tank or cutting a hole in the floor board just under the rear passenger drivers side seat. If you do a search on fuel pump you will find detailed instructions. Before you do that you should...
  23. 9

Oil Pan Leak

Hi: It may be difficult to work on the pan in place but I do not see a reason to remove the oil pan or to lift the motor. I use a product called Quick Steel (same idea as JBWeld) and have applied it to fuel tanks which were leaking at the time of application. As long as the surface was not...
  24. 9

Oil Pan Leak

Hi: Yes you can use products like JBWeld. Although since the opening is on the seam you may find the crack will expand later. Try to buff up the surface as much as you can before applying the fix. PaMnd
  25. 9

Steering issues

Hi: I would like to revisit your symptoms before taking something else apart. You have spent enough money on this problem I think. When you say "..would be sticky when trying to turn left and right.." how do you mean that. Are you stationary or mobile? Is it only on full turns or when...
Back