Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. B

replacing 02 sensors

Do you have any evidence that it is the O2's? They're not that cheap, and there are lots of things that could contribute to poor mileage. Any codes?
  2. B

Engine Sounds Like It Is Choking and Starving for Gas?

hole in he EGR will definitley cause idle fluctuation. When the PCM calls for EGR (recycled inert gas from the exhaust) it gets cold unmetered fresh air instead. More O in the cylinder than fuel leads to a lean bank condition and nitrate polution. The EGR sensor is mislead by the incorrect...
  3. B

What Engine Will Work?

Don't mean to be negative here, but recommend swaping only exact match engines. Same year, same engine, hooked to the same trans. Whatever you save on some freebie eng you may loose with various incompatibilities. Just dropped a 98x into a 2000 and discovered the differences the hard way.
  4. B

EGR Tube question (stuck)

Just delt with that on my 4.0 It is technically held in place only by an o ring. We used a dull chisel, channel locks, and hammer to tap it out of the manifold. Very careful though, the manifold will crack easily.
  5. B

camshaft synchronizer answers

Answers re; camshaft synchronizers and position sensor. The truck will run with NO sensor or unplugged. It will waste fuel, may be sluggish, or may be too aggressive. It will lead to piston burn out. It can kick up lean and O2 sensor codes.
  6. B

idle stumble bucking solved

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=326624 All issues solved. Link to whole thread above. idle issue: stumbling, dropping rpm, flaring; EGR valve gasket missing; standard vaccum leak issue bucking and stumbling at less than 2000 rpm; cracked plugs, bad wires, poorly...
  7. B

2nd to 3rd "jerk"

I have a 2000X 4.0ohv. Same symptoms. Added Lucus trans fluid treatment. Shifts smooth as a baby's bottom. Been more than a year with no return of symptoms.
  8. B

2003 Explorer Emergency

On the matter of camshaft position sensor. My 98 4.0 ran (seemingly) just fine with the camshaft position sensor [I]not plugged in at all[I]. The book says the results of a bad sensor can produce a long list of possible behaviors including no start, stumbling, chugging, stalling, and more...
  9. B

Camshaft position or Crank position sensor problem

I thought there was only one camshaft position sensor. If it is bad you may be getting a code.
  10. B

New here. Engine stalls when gas pressed

Are you getting any eng codes?
  11. B

Rough Idle, Missing, Pulling my hair out.

Okay. Just to keep the juices flowing I'll tell you about my 98eng into a 2000. The camshaft position sensor on the 98 is a two wire Hall effect system. The synch on the 2000 is a three wire variable reluctance sensor. The 2000 sensor fits nicely atop the 98 synchronizer. The 2000 computer...
  12. B

Rough Idle Woes and More

yep.thx
  13. B

'99 explorer 4.0 #6 cylinder misfire

I've worked on cars in the backyard for 30 years but make no claims. This comp thing is quite interesting (as long as you don't need the truck in a hurry.) Here's an out of the box thought. You have to draw air in to compress it out. Is it possible that what should be a loading stroke is...
  14. B

'99 explorer 4.0 #6 cylinder misfire

...every 4th compression stroke? Really? Consistently no comp 3 comp strokes in a row and then one with compression!? Valve not seating properly, gets turned a bit each stroke and then comes around to seat well once...but consistently every 4th?
  15. B

Rough Idle Woes and More

well the heat not coming on could be simply low on coolant. Once enough has blown off from overheating, there isn't enough in the system to cycle through the heater core. Ford idle issues...arg. The vacuum lines and the vacuum in general is ultra critical. One melted or cracked hose...
  16. B

98/2000 ohv swap

EGR valve to tube gasket was missing. Solved the idle issues. Now it looks like it's all about the sycnronizer and campos sensor. This was an eng swap. 98 4.0 into a 2000X that had a 4.0. Turns out the synchronizer are not the same year to year. The sensor for the 2000 is a three wire, and...
  17. B

99 XP Runs rough after plug wire change

I had two wires crossed also and the truck still ran, though rough. Each plug fires twice per round so you can really mix them up and still get something out just from chance. Something not that good usually. Also, the comp learns better how to run with the plugs crossed, and then learns...
  18. B

Troubleshooting P0303 on 4.0 OHV

The thing about these codes is that they can be so misleading. The P030 indicates mis-fire, but the book even includes a clogged cat in the list of possibilities. Anything at all that causes the mis will throw the code. My #3 behaved this way for two years. Turned out to be failed head or...
  19. B

If not the Explorer, then what?

My 2000X 4x4 coughed up so many eng issues that I had to buy another vehicle while still working on the X. Picked up a 2003 Durango 4.7V8 4x4. Much more power. Gas mileage is about the same! X is clearly a lighter and more refined machine, but the Durango is a very good horse. One I like...
  20. B

IAC, TPS, Vacuum Leak?

Please tell me there is an ending to this story! I can not believe all the hard work that goes into solving these issues where the finale is missing. Did Gavin ever get his truck running right? Did the sannner ever reveal the secrets to the mysterious 401 code? Did Skyjumper ever go...
  21. B

P0401

abfan00....did you ever solve this problem? These 4.0 eng are notorious for mysterious behaviors. The codes that show up are only clues as to the cause. Everytime someone solves one of these problems and records it, we all get a better understanding of how to diagnose.
  22. B

EGR valve issues

Okay, one issue fixed. EGR gasket replaced. Idles smooh as a baby's bottom. Starts in at 1K and settles nicely to 600. What's still on the table...almost a miss at 1,500rpm under load. I say almost because it just feels like one cylindar is soft. At 1,700rpm it smooths out and at 2k...
  23. B

EGR valve issues

skyjumper, will be looking for a gasket tomorrow. Don't know if I can buy a gasket w/o the EGR valve...will see. Will disc for 30min and re connect bat before running for codes. I'll know soon enough if the truck runs smoothly or not. If there is still and issue, then the...
  24. B

EGR valve issues

skyjumper, Yes this is true. We covered the fuel rail issue. Checked at 65psi constant. 2000 rail with 2000 cpu. Mech said everything topside came off the 2000. I started the EGR thread because there were nobody but me talking on the swap thread. Meanwhile the crossed plug wires corrected...
  25. B

EGR valve issues

Yes. The leak was definitely coming from the joint between the EGR and the EGR tube. What do you think of the kink in the tube coming up from the exhaust? My mechanic said it wouldn't make any difference, but he's the one who assembled the EGR with no gasket!
Back