Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. D

Rim Oxidation

Well I may have used the wrong terminology to describe what was done but something like you said but and yes $70 was bit high thats why I asked thanks for the replies..
  2. D

Rim Oxidation

My mother has a 05' merc sable. She had a chronic slow leak in the front driverside tire. She replaced them twice this year under warranty and had them re stemmed etc.Well she was about to replace the entire rim, when I convinced her to take them to a rim shop to see if maybe it was bent on the...
  3. D

Does anyone know how to read ABS codes without a tool?

Just wanted to throw my 2 cents into the discussion. My ABS light had been on for few weeks and I really haven’t had the time to look into it. I was in dire need of an alignment but before doing so I wanted to swap out my sway bar bushings and end links just to make sure they weren’t the culprit...
  4. D

Post you DVD system pics

Since were talking DVD setups, anyone with a sunroff do a drop down screen from the roof?
  5. D

are you offended by a confederate flag?

I agree hiding the past and the truth wont change it, if anything to remind us of where we came from how we got here and where we need to go...
  6. D

are you offended by a confederate flag?

Yankee! Im a "Yankee from New Yawk" and of course a YANKEE fan( hmmf yall thought they was done back in june!) and I am not offended at all by the confederate flag nor anyone who displays it on their property. Hey used to love the Dukes of Hazard General Lee! I think people get stuck on...
  7. D

Factory Alignment Specs?

There was a site I saw somewhere that had "factory" alignment specs for just about any vehicle you can think of, I believe all the alignment machines have these numbers programed into the computers anyway. You have to take into account that tire wear/inflation, steering gear and bushing wear...
  8. D

SOHC engine -- accessing spark plugs

Welcome aboard. After about 2-3 hours of frustration scraped knuckes, and various cuts and bruises, yes the "easier" way would be to remove the wheels and rubber flaps,the fender well if you have the time and go at it. Thats cyl 3 I believe is in a really tight spot and unless you have just the...
  9. D

Bad Puddle Lamp

On mine the blk/wht wire inside has a connector that might be a lil loose you gotta jiggle it a bit or wrap it tight with some electrical tape
  10. D

NY (Nassau County) Mechanic

I think I got the same issue you got, its a nasty sounding noise like valve tape or a bent rod, but from what has been posted it might be timing chain rattle. The front one isnt that difficult to DIY but for the rear one the engine has to come out! I've been putting off having it looked at for...
  11. D

Torsion twist question

Since were on Torsion twisting, has anybody encountered a stuck torsion bolt and couldnt get it to turn even after a good liquid wrench/wd40 soaking? I got my leafs rearched a lil while back so the rear is sitting level again but after months of trying to compensate for the sag by lowering i'm...
  12. D

Weird "Clicking" Suspension Noise, Please Help!

It could be a number of things occasionally I used get that clicking you describe not just over bumps but ireggularities in the road, sewer caps, uneven pavement, cracks etc and yes I know it can drive one crazy! Their are a few things that are easy and CHEAP you can replace yourself without...
  13. D

Suggested suspension mods for towing

Add-a-leaf or Spring helpers are a quick and cheap fix...JC Whitney and others have them, take a look and see what would satisfy your towing needs.
  14. D

Help Installing Front License Plate Bracket

Yeah thats what kills me, I believe NY is one of the few states that requires tags both front and back...and trust you WILL get a ticket for not having one
  15. D

If its not bolted down..and even then it might not have a chance,but you can be assured someone will figure a way to snatch just about anything. Its like a gift and a the curse! I say that to say NYC has more than enough boneyards to find exactly what you need on the cheap..Hunts Point being a...
  16. D

Not much better on my side of town, life in the big city! In the past 2 almost 3 years Ive had my front licence plate either stolen or lost due to the front bracket coming loose from someone parking TOO close. Also during that time I had my passenger side mirrors stolen twice, I had to put those...
  17. D

Update on EGR Valve/Component change

Geezum I dunno if the EGR vacum solenoid is the same as the DPFE but you couldve gotten that way cheaper($40-50) and the EGR valve itself(bout the same)...Installation yourself wouldnt have been that difficult.. oh just realized you got a v8 might be a different setup than the V6 opps but hey...
  18. D

Spark plug wires causing radio static?

Thanks all for the replies..I think that was the site or another one describing the issues with spark plug wire issues and EMI leakage...I will see if another set will fix the issue. I would think the "premium" wires wouldnt have these problems but we shall see..No problems as far as drivablilty...
  19. D

Spark plug wires causing radio static?

Well lets just get to the point I changed my plugs and wires a few weeks ago with Bosch Platniums and Premium wires....everything running smooth fars as I can tell with the exception of noticable static in the radio, especially A.M stations while the truck is running. I double checked the wires...
  20. D

KNocking noise from front drivers side (Right hand drive) over bumps

Also the sway bar bushings could be worn, they may look fine from a visual inspection but when I took the brackets off the driver side bushing had a small hole bout the size of a finger worn through, replaced both of them and so far the "clunk" is gone
  21. D

Coil pack issue?

Thanks for all the replies...I know this next question has been covered numerous times but since were on the subject...recommended plug and wire set?. I was leaning toward the Bosch brand this time around.
  22. D

Coil pack issue?

Much obliged, new plugs and wires are about due anyway but I never had anything like that happen b4 on any vehicle that I tinkered with under the hood.
  23. D

Coil pack issue?

A curious thing happened to me today. I had the hood up doing some simple routine maintanence, checking fluids, changed the air filter etc. I cranked it up make sure everything was running smooth..so I was about to wrap things up and just took a towel and was lightly dusting, wiping grime off...
  24. D

Power side mirror, fixable?

It shouldnt be too hard to fix you can get the plasic pieces that go in the into the mechanism and make sure they are seated,if not check a junkyard, if you want to spring for a new housing e-bay or even rock auto has replacements w/puddle lamps etc for reasonable prices under $50
  25. D

Any way to fix a torn leather seat?

look in the yellowpages usually places that do upholstry or leather repair can do it alot cheaper that replacing the whole seat, what your pics show looks like a simple restitch job as opposed to a gash
Back