Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. M

Torque converter replacement

wow this thread is from 2005 :) but to answer your question when a torque converter is slid into the transmission there's a keyed area on the shaft for lack of better explanation that has to be aligned just right so it can slide all the way down or else the torque converter is not seated all...
  2. M

4r70w flare at WOT right before redline if...

Cool. I assume this can be down with the tranny in the truck? I'll need to get a small part of my exhaust redone. The exhaust guy took the driver's side pipe and curled it under the tranny pan so to pull the pan I had to unbolt that section of pipe. However I had constant leaks where it...
  3. M

Well I don't really want to dump a bunch more money into this tranny. I was hoping to save up some day to purchase a performance built one to handle the power of my new motor I'm building, 331 stroker with a roots blower. Progress is slow right now, will be more than a year, maybe two before...
  4. M

I believe it's only 2-3. I know never 1-2 that always works pefect, anything from light throttle to WOT and everything in-between. 3rd to 4th I don't believe ever happens. In fact I know it's not 3rd to 4th because at WOT that's shifting some where around 100+ mph (my speedo only goes to 85)...
  5. M

Hey guys, Been a little while. Thanks to everyone who helped me with 4r70w questions when I built my V8 AWD Ranger. It has a 2000 Explorer 302, 4r70w, and the AWD transfer case. I'm using a 92 Mustang ECC and the Baumman controller for the tranny. Soon after I got everything running I...
  6. M

Can I get rid of the CV on my AWD 4404?

The driveline shop that shortened my driveshaft supplied the yolk. It was nothing special. Just a standard yolk they had on the shelf. UPDATE - I read through this old thread and saw way back how I mentioned a vibe from my front shaft. Turns out this was a mild vibe from the rear shaft...
  7. M

The adapter and bolts you see above is all you get. A drive shaft is not included. At least not for $100.
  8. M

If you re-read my post with the picture that front drive shaft is from my Ranger. A 94 Ranger to be specific. BTW - been using that adapter for about a year and 18k miles. Still runs like a top.
  9. M

Testing Speedometer?

Seems a little bit more off than usual. When I do the 100 mile test my odometer reads 99 miles when I hit the 100 mile marker.
  10. M

Help my Motor is wrapping

I'd stay away from the junk yard especially if you're paying someone else to install the motor. It's a huge gamble. Let's say you spend $700 labor to get it installed and it's junk. Well now you have to spend another $700 to get it pulled, swapped, and try a new one. Second motor is junk...
  11. M

Any 5.0 engine bay pictures?

Thanks. It gives me some ideas but I can't quite see what I'm looking for.
  12. M

Brake fluid flushing

I had braking problems for a long time that was eventually cured by flushing the brake lines. Long story short my problem was the rear tires always locking up before the front under hard braking. Very annoying and dangerous. I purchased one of those harbor freight $10 venture vacuum pumps...
  13. M

Seafoam...Where to hook up on a 4.0 SOHC ??

I'm curious, how do you know your combustion chambers need to be cleaned? Or even the intake for that matter? I know you can pull the intake and see an oily film in there on some vehicles. Is that what you are referring to in the intake?
  14. M

Any 5.0 engine bay pictures?

Specifically I'm looking for A/C hose routing. My 94 Ranger hoses don't nearly fit the Explorer engine layout. The compressor is at a different angle etc. I found one shop in town that will build custom hoses but he mocks things up and then I have to wait till the next day because he goes off...
  15. M

Flywheel

Sorry I though I could count all the teeth but the bottom of the flywheel is covered by the tire the engine is sitting on. I was thinking the flywheel was over hanging. My engine hoist is packed away right now so I couldn't lift it. Of the 3/4 exposed I counted about 100 teeth. Sorry maybe...
  16. M

O2 sensors, check engine, stalls.98xlt,awd,302,a/t

http://www.scantool.net/
  17. M

The New Car Computer: CAN I & II

Speaking of laptops for diagnosis have you seen these http://www.scantool.net/ My local auto parts store wants about $800 for a scantool. I like the laptop idea for $100. I already use my laptop for the Baumann tranny controller. Networking all the sensors on a serial bus makes...
  18. M

Flywheel

I have a 94 4.0L OHV motor from a Ranger sitting in my garage. Is that the same? I can count the teeth on the flywheel for you if you want.
  19. M

added coolant, now temp gauge reads colder

No problem. Although by definition the gauge is real. It does vary with temperature. It's just not very accurate and that's why I call it a glorified idiot light. Notice how instead of degree F markings it just has the word NORMAL on it? Well that allows for a lot of tolerance and "slop" in...
  20. M

Rad Leak ?

Can you smell antifreeze from your exhaust? Start it up, probably after it's been sitting a while and smell the tail pipes while idling. I could actually smell it when the lower intake was leaking on my 95 Mustang. Also in my experience when you have a coolant leak it's pretty easy to find...
  21. M

added coolant, now temp gauge reads colder

You cannot put to much coolant into the cooling system. It will only draw as much as it needs from the over flow bottle. When warm the coolant expands and excess is pushed into the overflow bottle. If you had driven 5 blocks and nothing had expanded in to the bottle there's a chance you were...
  22. M

DIY Alignment

Firestone has lifetime alignment for $139 right now. No restrictions. You can stop by every time you hit a pot hole if you want and they will check it free of charge and adjust as necessary.
  23. M

POST YOUR GAS Milage

I don't feel so bad now. I have basically your drivetrain, 2000 motor, tranny, and AWD in my 94 Ranger. Running 3:73s, 31s and I seem to get an average of 17mpg. I'm surprised your summer mileage is lower than winter, mine's always lower in winter. I haven't put synthetic in the motor or...
  24. M

Well I got the adapter on Thursday. Here's what it looks like. Top side along with supplied hardware. Bottom This gives you an idea of how it installs. Four bolts recess into the adatper securing it to the transfer case and the four larger bolts hold on the drive shaft. I...
  25. M

Torque converter replacement

I'd have to agree with 97, it's probably not going to be as easy as just replacing the torque converter. I've recently replaced my transmission (several times) and it's not exactly some quick job. It's a lot of hard work not to mention the cost of a new converter just to be back to square one...
Back