Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. D

Just got some bad news

We recently had the torque converter go out on our 1997 EB, 160K miles, with the 4 L SOHC engine and 5R55E transmission. We opted to have the entire transmission rebuilt for a total of $3200 which is right in line with your quote. So far, the transmission seems to be working properly. We're...
  2. D

P0303, P0302, P0301

C420sailor - Great information, thanks for sharing it. All three of the O2 sensors were replaced about 75K miles ago. I'll order all three of them and install them in conjunction with the injectors. Thanks again, Dick
  3. D

P0303, P0302, P0301

boominXplorer - To clarify, I didn't suggest that because we're not in a position to pull the engine to deal with a possible right-side timing problem, that it couldn't be the source of the problem. We're only in a position to do what we're capable of doing. Your suggestion that it could be...
  4. D

P0303, P0302, P0301

boominXplorer - There are no O2 codes or any other codes except for those noted. Understood that it's likely something unique to the right bank, but we're still going to replace the injectors. We don't have the ability to pull the engine, so any work on the right-side timing (camshaft) is...
  5. D

P0303, P0302, P0301

C420sailor and Mr. Alligator - Thanks for the responses. I don't have any fuel trim information, and the only codes set are the ones that I identified. It's not losing any fluids. It's curious that there are no drivability symptoms and once reset, the codes don't recur for days if not weeks or...
  6. D

P0303, P0302, P0301

C420sailor - Thanks for the reply. I should have mentioned that when only the P0303 was popping up, we replaced the plugs, wires and coil pack. That didn't seem to have any effect on the P0303 frequency, but now the other two codes are popping up as I noted. BTW, we're having problems finding...
  7. D

P0303, P0302, P0301

Hello Forum! 1997 EB Explorer. 4L SOHC engine, 160K miles. My step-Grandson is now driving the rig and he's reporting the above error codes. Actually, the P0303 has been around for a while. It pops-up with no driving symptoms, and then doesn't recur for weeks or even a few months. Recently, it's...
  8. D

1997 SOHC EB Explorer Vibration

Good thought on the U-joints. The rig has 160K miles and they have never been replaced. What's the best way to determine if they need replacement? Looseness, or??? Is it difficult to replace them? Thanks, Dick
  9. D

All - Thanks for the responses. Since it's easy to rotate the tires, we'll do that. However, it isn't clear to me why the vibration would go away after driving for a while if it was a tire imbalance. J_C - You bring up a good point about the bearings. They could be affected by heat related to...
  10. D

Hello forum - I haven't posted in a while, but we have recently experienced a noticeable vibration (possibly front-end?) at around 65 MPH when initially driving. After backing off the speed to 60 MPH, the vibration stops. After driving for a while, increasing the speed back to 65 MPH+, the...
  11. D

1997 EB SOHC Fuel Pump Replacement

Thanks for the responses, that's what I was afraid of. How long can I reasonably expect the original fuel pump to last? Will it give any early symptoms of an impending demise, or does it typically just crap out without any warning? For reference, I have always kept the fuel tank above 1/4 full...
  12. D

1997 EB SOHC Fuel Pump Replacement

I'm thinking of replacing the fuel pump on my rig. It has 150K miles, so I think I'm near EOL on it. Can anyone advise whether this year and model has an access plate to get to the fuel pump, or will I have to drop the tank? Thanks, stepdadbob
  13. D

Overdrive Light Flashing

Thanks to all for their inputs and suggestions. Unfortunately, the truck died last night. My Grandson was driving it and it bit the dust. The rig would barely move with the engine racing and in all forward gears. We had to push it into a shopping center parking lot (not easy), and I'm currently...
  14. D

Overdrive Light Flashing

Thanks very much for the information. For the time being, does it make sense to turn off the O/D via the pushbutton at the end of the shift lever so that the tranny doesn't even try to go into O/D?
  15. D

Overdrive Light Flashing

Thanks to all for the responses. I just spoke to my Grandson who reported that the truck seems to run fine. Around town at lower speeds, the light goes off. It's only at highway speeds that the light illuminates. Even at highway speeds (65 mph) it runs smoothly. He scanned it and there were no...
  16. D

Overdrive Light Flashing

1997 Eddie Bauer 4 Liter, SOHC engine, 5R55E tranny. My Grandson reported that the O/D light is flashing at a constant rate. The check engine light is not illuminated. Could there still be stored codes? I have a basic code reader, but haven't connected it yet. If the check engine light isn't...
  17. D

Automatic Climate Control blowing hot only

r1cardo97 - I was able to do it without removing the dash, that's for sure. It wasn't the easiest thing I have done, but it worked, and still is working. As I remember, I was able to do it from under the dash, but it's been a while. I think I had to remove something to get access to the blend...
  18. D

Automatic Climate Control blowing hot only

r1cardo97 - It may not be the actuator, but rather the blend door is just partially stuck. I had this problem years ago, and used an epoxy designed for plastic to fix the door's pivot points. I suggest checking this out before purchasing the actuator. Good luck, stepdadbob
  19. D

1997 Explorer Eddie Bauer 6 cyl SOHC Engine 5R55E Transmission

I changed the transmission fluid, gasket and filter recently by dropping the pan. It took about 4 quarts of Mercon V fluid. The fluid was quite dark with about 50K miles since the last fluid change. My grandson, who drives the vehicle, said it was driving fine. This last weekend, we attempted to...
  20. D

Do I have auto or manual AC controls?

Blend Door Replacement BurnTheLight88 - I have a '97 with the automatic temperature control. My blend door failed, and I was puzzled about which one to buy, since there didn't seem to be one listed for the automatic control, only the manual. Another member advised that the door was the same...
  21. D

Slightly Rough Idle

I have a '97 Ex, EB, 4WD, 4L/SOHC engine. I have been chasing the problem in the title for a while. Other than the idle, the beast runs beautifully. Can anyone out there advise what the symptoms would be if the crankcase ventilation housing, located on the rear top of the engine were leaking...
  22. D

Rear Differential Venting

IZwack, Ray and Stic-o - Thanks very much for the suggestions. That little bellows is a clever idea. I had to open the differential a few years ago since I was getting a screeching noise from it. It turned out that the clutch pack on the driver's side was installed incorrectly at the...
  23. D

Rear Differential Venting

I have a '97 Ex, 4WD, EB, 4L SOHC engine. The rear differential has a rubber vent hose that heads up towards the upper reaches of the underside of the beast. The open end of the hose currently faces parallel to the ground, as it came from the factory. Now that I have a SeaDoo, I have to back...
  24. D

cam chain guide noise

dr pepper - The answer is a qualified yes. As I understand it, the new parts are more robust. However, since all of the chains are constantly rubbing against the plastic guides, there will always be some wear. As I wrote, my OEM guide lasted for 100K miles, so the new designs should hopefully...
  25. D

cam chain guide noise

dr pepper - I replaced mine a year ago at 100k miles with a technique suggested by 2000streetrod, who is the acknowledged (in my opinion) expert in this area. I was able to replace the left side guide without the use of any special tools or alignment fixtures. I suggest checking his many posts...
Back