Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. K

PTU Cooler Pump and Relay

Thanks for the info.
  2. K

PTU Cooler Pump and Relay

I recently purchased a 2015 Police Interceptor Utility Explorer that has the PTU cooler. Per the owner's manual, Slot 8 in the engine compartment fuse box is a 20 amp PTU Cooler Pump fuse and Slot 10 is for the PTU Cooler Pump Relay. Both these slots are empty in my fuse box. I understand that...
  3. K

Foam Piece from 2015 PIU

Thanks for the responses. Like a puzzle piece, I'll try different placements until I see where it fits.
  4. K

Foam Piece from 2015 PIU

Hi, Does anyone know where this piece of foam goes in a 2015 PIU Explorer? Part number BB37812003AB. Google search returns no hits. I recently purchased this former law enforcement vehicle at auction. When connecting the wire to enable the rear door power window switches, I found water in both...
  5. K

heads 95TM vs. 90TM

What engine do you have (year, size ,etc.)? I'm sure you have seen this link already, but I'd thought I would pass it on in the event you haven't. Some good info the different heads used on the Explorer. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86106&highlight=casting
  6. K

How can one tell visually if a cylinder head is cracked?

Hi: I've read that the 4.0 OHV cylinder heads are prone to cracking. I can confirm that having two Explorers--91 and 98--that I've had to replace the heads. I've also read that most cracks are hairline cracks not visible to the naked eye. If that is the case, how does a mechanic know a...
  7. K

Subs under seats?

You could do what I did and mount a sub inverted on a box that goes inside the storage area. I mounted a JL Audio 10W3v2 on a JL Audio Stealthbox, and it sounds incredible. There is no comparison between this sub and the W1 that came with the Stealthbox. Also, I've seen a Rockford sub mounted...
  8. K

Inverted 10W3v2 sub on JL Audio Stealthbox sounds incredible

Here is a pic of the inverted woofer in my 98 4-door Explorer. http://rap.midco.net/the_kid/Inveted%20W3v2%20on%20Stealthbox_1.JPG Here is another pic with the interior panel removed. The amp is currently mounted behind the panel in front of the speaker connections on the box (where the...
  9. K

Pics of my new HU

I have the 9833; too cheap to spend $100 for the Biolite display. These units are nice; woke my entire system up. Isn't possible to save all the settings--eq, crossover, time correction, etc.--on CD by using Alpine's iPersonalize site so that one doesn't have to tweak it every time power is...
  10. K

98 Blinking 4WD High / 4WD Low Lights (fix)

Same thing: 4wd hi and lo blinking six times every two minutes. Disconnected battery (and obviously reconnected), and lights no longer flash. Problem now is when I turn 4wd dial to lo, the 4-lo light is not coming on, so I'm guessing 4-lo is not engaging. 4-hi light comes on when 4wd dial...
  11. K

Anyone have sub up front?

What is the benefit of using two 8s over one? Or two eights over a single 10? thanks
  12. K

Thanks for the reply. I posted this inquiry on a car audio site. Between the responses there, here, and further research, I think this is definitely workable. I simply forgot about bass not being directional. I need to decide what would be the best combination of size of subs. Should...
  13. K

Hi: Does anyone have sub--8 or 10 inch--up front on the floor "hump" between the console and ash tray? Clarion used to make down firing powered sub for that location called the Camouflage. I'm not interested in a powered sub, so I thought I would make my own enclosure. Any...
  14. K

Sub firing into MTX Thunderform. Work? Pic.

Hi: There currently is an Explorer for sale on eBay that has a Rockford sub mounted on the outside of a MTX Explorer Thunderform box, firing into the box. Seller says it sounds great. Below is a link to the auction and partial description of the sub set up. Anyone see anything like this...
  15. K

subwoofer spacer ring

A local stereo store made me two 3/4 inch mdf spacers for $25. After seeing the spacers, I am concerned that since they are only one inch thick (inside diameter is 9.25 inches and the outside diameter is 10.25) they will not hold up once the subwoofer is screwed into the spacer. There will be...
  16. K

How to check transfer case oil?

Hi: I have extremely limited mechanical skills. How does one check transfer case oil on a 6 cylinder DOHC 98 Explorer XLT with an automatic transmission? Thanks
  17. K

Cracked head or am I being took?

It is the 4.0 OHV. There were no other problems that I noticed other than the rough running. The vehicle was not overheated, no leaking onto the ground or white smoke. thanks
  18. K

what is "service engine" code 304?

Hi: My 98 Explorer's "service engine" light came on, and the vehicle was running rough. The Ford dealership service technician said the code is 304. I have looked at the below website but do not see a 304. Does anyone know at a code 304 is? Thanks...
  19. K

Thanks for the quick responses. I have since called the service manager and asked about the quick diagnosis. He said that the plug was pulled and it had coolant on it. I then said that could just mean a blown gasket, not a cracked head, and he agreed. He said that there is no way to really...
  20. K

Hi: How does a mechanic tell if a head is cracked? This morning I dropped my 98 Explorer (86K miles) off at the Ford dealership because my "check engine" light was on, and the engine was running rough (missing). Just twenty minutes after driving my vehicle into the service bay, the...
  21. K

Man sued for libel for venting about poor service at dealership

I came across this. That the forum members might find it interesting. It makes a person stop and think. Man Sued For Venting Auto-Service Blues On BBS http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/6/22973.html
  22. K

Anyone use orbital polisher clay holder?

Below is a link to an orbital polisher clay holder. I am curious if anyone has used it. If it actually works, that would be great, but it looks like one of those to good to be true items. Thanks Dead Link Removed
  23. K

Mb Quart install

I did the same in my 98 except have the QSD 216 (6.5 mid). Mounted the tweeter in the same place as you.
  24. K

Remote Engine Start kits??

I have had three different brands of remote starts - Auto Command, Polar Start, and Astro Start. Like anything else, you get what you pay for. And in the case of remote starters, it is range. By far and away, the best one I have owned is the Astro Start. The Auto Command was the first...
  25. K

best sub to fit in stealthbox???

Could you provide some more info. I would be interesting in doing this to my Stealthbox.
Back