Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. KillerB74

Speedometer Drive Gear

On my '92 five speed my speedo was bouncing but the gears looked good. I was finally able to fix the problem by tightening the tcase nut. Not sure if wear or vibration caused it to loosen. I was able to tighten it about 3/4 of a turn.
  2. KillerB74

Engine block heater cord broke off at 3-prong plug

Yup, because it is a heating element it will work either way and still be safe. The green wire is the critical one as it gives you your ground fault protection.
  3. KillerB74

You won't need any of this, buy a new end like for an extension cord. Cut off your old end, directly attach the new plug on the end of your old cord. The new plug has screw terminals inside for directly attaching the wires. White goes to the wide prong, green to the round ground prong, black to...
  4. KillerB74

Absolutely repair it yourself! Just as you mentioned, buy a cord end and wire it on. Most cars need this done at some point. It's like they don't make cords that can handle cold weather. I usually add some extra electrical tape to the cord and tape right onto the end to help reinforce the weak...
  5. KillerB74

Exhaust Manifold Stud Removal Tips..

My opinion is that the manifold warped causing the studs to break. If the manifold stays flat, I don't know where the force would come from to break the studs. I did this on the ground, supported by a jack stand. For the passenger side I removed the wheel and inner fender plastic panels. On...
  6. KillerB74

Thanes Big T and Prairie Engine Rebuilders. I highly recommend them, very fast and friendly service. I was initially told 2 days turn around when I dropped them off, which I was happy with. They called me 1 hour later while I was buying the drill and told me there was a free technician and that...
  7. KillerB74

I did it on the 07
  8. KillerB74

Mine is a V8. I believe they are an upgraded stud, they had a copper look to them, not sure if it is a plating or different alloy. Hopefully the manifold does not warp as much as before. This is not isolated to explorers. It is common on F150 or basically any 4.6, 5.4, and even v10 engines...
  9. KillerB74

Hi all, I just finished fixing up my exhaust start up put-put noise. The problem with broken studs is well documented on this site already. I created this post to document what tools and techniques I used for the repair. I did not document each individual step in the entire process but tried...
  10. KillerB74

Warning - sparkplugs on v8's, recoating with nickel anti seize.

The ford tsb calls for the use of a nickel based anti-seize. It is rated for a temperature around 1600F. I picked some up at a ford dealership.
  11. KillerB74

Repairing Door Wire Conduit?

I think you have several options. 1) If the connector is still on the wire simply reinsert it into the appropriate socket on the connector. 2)If the connector is still in the socket of the plug you can remove the connector (may need a special tool or paper clip or small flat scew driver)...
  12. KillerB74

2007 EB 4.6L 4x4 Front End Rattle

Hi guys, I have a metallic rattling noise coming from the front drivers side. It is noticeable when driving slow on gravel roads. If I apply gentle brake pressure the noise disappears. It does not seem to be present when traveling on pavement or at highway speeds. There is no feedback through...
  13. KillerB74

'92 Ex - Major Rust Repair Underway

I am going to coat it with asphalt undercoating for the underside and rubberized rocker guard for the visible parts. As well as seam sealer wherever required. I picked up the replacement panels from a Walkers Auto-body, just a local shop in the city. I am going to check out LMC as I still...
  14. KillerB74

Pics of Passenger side I have just started cutting away the rust from the passenger side, it is actually just a little better than the drivers side! Wheel well, quarter panel. Rocker Rocker/Dog Leg I know there is some good steel on this somewhere, it just takes a bunch of...
  15. KillerB74

Hi all, I have been busy working away at getting rid of the rust on the old beast. Here are some pics of the work on the drivers side. First it is hard to find good help. I said a spot weld!! Also note the red fender, a friend had it painted for his ex years ago and never installed it...
  16. KillerB74

2002 4.6L w/tow package & 6120 GVWR RV

I have been towing a 23' hybrid for 2 years now. I have a 2007 EB 4.6L V8 with a tow package and equalizer. The dry weight is 3633 lbs and the GVWR is 5504. Our Ex handles this very well, including windy days.
  17. KillerB74

:( Replaced everything... Still no charge

What symptoms does the truck have. Is the battery dead in the morning? Does the dash gauge show no charge? How many volts at the battery and alternator when the truck is running vs. turned off? I am trying to get a complete picture of the situation.
  18. KillerB74

help my truck feels like its on rumble strips

Maybe universal joints?
  19. KillerB74

Truck pull

How much do you like your paint and window in the back. The pulls I've seen have proved nothing but spit stones everywhere, took two years of life from the tires, and wear & tear on the vehicles. On the other hand they had nicely rubberized wheel wells after! Also make sure if you do decide...
  20. KillerB74

Blowing white smoke

White smoke is usually a sign of antifreeze entering the combustion chamber, so a head gasket or cracked head could be the problem. Is your coolant level going down? This could cause your idling and stalling problems as well. Depending on how long the truck has been doing this the engine may...
  21. KillerB74

1991 explorer stuck in low range

Are you using the proper method for shifting out of low range? You need to be in park or neutral, with your foot on the brake and then try shifting out of 4 low. If it is a manual transmission you need to have the brake and clutch pressed in before it will shift out of 4low.
  22. KillerB74

Comment by 'KillerB74' in media 'deer'

Nice Deer, are you going to harvest it this year?
  23. KillerB74

Cold morning, clutch needs to be pumped??

Check the fluid level and check the ground for leaks. A rusted or weak line or fitting can fail in cold weather. The fluid becomes stiffer and it takes more pressure to force the fluid through the line. Up at the mine where I work the hydraulic systems always show their weak points when the...
  24. KillerB74

Weird light problem

I would check the sockets with a multimeter to look for voltage and recheck the bulbs (test them with some alligator clips on your battery). I would also check the grounding points (if there is only a single wire running to the bulbs there will be a grounding connection). Bad grounds can do all...
  25. KillerB74

Is my block heater working ?

You should also see the pronged end of the cord spark if you slowly plug or unplug it in your outlet. You might have to try this a few times to see the spark and it is much easier to see the darker out it is.
Back