Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. Z

Vacuum leak & high idle

Hey everyone, I posted about this a few days back and I found the problem. Just need to know where I can find the part!! 96 Sport 4.0 OHV 5-speed. There is a vacuum leak where the metal tube that runs from the EGR valve to the upper intake manifold enters the manifold. I sprayed carb...
  2. Z

Idle problem

Just replaced the intake manifold gaskets 2 months ago due to the infamous coolant leak, but I had my mechanic do it, to the tune of €200.00. I live in Germany, and I don't know if the Ford dealer over here would honor a recall on a U.S. spec Explorer. Even if they did, they might not because...
  3. Z

Idle problem

Scratching my head on this one. The other day I got a CEL, and the codes were bank 1 lean and bank 2 lean. Idle is running at about 1,500 rpms too, even after coming to a complete stop. I reset the CEL, and it hasn't come back on (been at least 6 or 7 cycles since reset) but the idle problem...
  4. Z

AC is shot

Get a Haynes manual, (if you don't already) it gives detailed instructions on replacing the compressor. I have the OHV V-6 and it looks pretty simple on mine. BE SURE to have the A/C system evacuated by a shop before trying to replace anything. Would also be a good idea to replace O-rings if...
  5. Z

Rough idle

thanks! I will replace the IAC and run a can of this through it (that is of course if I can find it here in Germany) but the IAC will hopefully make a difference
  6. Z

Rough idle

Sea Foam? Never heard of it, but of course I have been living outside the US for several years now. Is this an addative?
  7. Z

Rough idle

'96 Sport, 5 speed, OHV V6. It is idling rough when engine is warm, but no CEL and no stored codes. New plugs, wires. (It did improve a little after that) Did a test on the MAF and it is fine. Otherwise runs like a champ and accelerates smoothly and gas mileage is where it should be. Any...
  8. Z

AC is shot

first of all, these idiots should have checked if the compressor was seized (which can take the clutch along with it in some cases) because in many cases the new compressor comes with a new clutch already on it. So I would tell them you want your money back since they did not troubleshoot the...
  9. Z

A/C Problem

ok there is more. I jumped the sensor, and the compressor kicked in, but the lines never got cold. There is definitely pressure in the system. What next?
  10. Z

A/C Problem

had my mech check it, he said there is pressure in the system.
  11. Z

Tire question

Going to get new tires soon, first time since I have owned my ex. I am looking at the BF Goodrich Radial T/A KO. can I get some opinions both positive and negative? It currently has GY Wrangler APT's but I don't think they make those anymore, just the AT/R's. Want something that will do well...
  12. Z

A/C Problem

fuse is good, already checked that. As for the relay, once I pull it, how do I tell if it is bad? Dumb question maybe, but I have never had to mess with them before. Also, the pressure switch that I should short to test the compressor, is that the one connected to the compressor itself or is...
  13. Z

A/C Problem

OK, here goes. A/C is charged but clutch will not engage. I am thinking possibly a relay or pressure sensor. Any ideas?
  14. Z

Parking Brake Handle

Yes I just overlapped the bolt with the release handle shaft. The 2 u-bolts just have to be long enough to get around both the bolt and the shaft and still get the nuts on. (not too long!) The knob I used is actually similar to what you might see on a table saw or similar power tool that would...
  15. Z

Parking Brake Handle

here is how i fixed mine: Go to Home Depot or Home Base etc, and get a headless bolt that is the same diameter as the shaft for the brake release and about 2 inches long or so(not sure exactly how long it is) Next, get a knob that is threaded to fit the bolt. Finally, get 2 u-bolts with...
  16. Z

Gas Mileage going South

since you already replaced 2 of the sensors, you might as well replace the others, too. Try replacing the plugs and wires; this gave me about another 2.5 MPG by itself, and not prohibitively expensive. A new air filter wouldn't hurt either. If these don't help, it could be a cat or a mass air...
  17. Z

Dead Temp Gauge

mine was doing this and it turned out the thermostat was stuck open. Replaced it and now its perfect, goes right to the middle, then drops a little when the thermostat opens. Could also be the temp sensore like some of the others in here have mentioned
  18. Z

how much does a stock 2001 sport weight?

my '96 sport 4X2 weighed in at about 1,860 KG which is only about 4,000. this scale is pretty accurate since we use it to weight vehicles getting loaded on to airplanes, so it has to be!
  19. Z

Exhaust Help

yup air force and work on Ramstein, and based on where you are i assume you are army? They still planning to close wurzburg? It sucks, they have closed all of the good bases in Germany, not that ramstein is bad, but rhein main and frankfurt were much better! Frankfurt was a never-ending party...
  20. Z

Exhaust Help

just curious where in Germany you are?? K-town here
  21. Z

Just put in the K&N intake!

Black, give me a day or two on the pics!
  22. Z

sorry bout that! Thought maybe just an intake wasnt enough to have it be considered "modded" my bad!
  23. Z

When you put your foot into it and get over like 3,000 it sounds more throaty than stock. Would probably sound even better if I threw a flowmaster on there too.
  24. Z

Yes and if you shop around you can get it even cheaper. Autobarn.com had it for like 165 + shipping (of course i found that out after I already had it and installed it!)
  25. Z

Just installed it, and a noticeable difference in performance. ('96 Sport 4.0 OHV, 5-speed 2WD) Too early to tell if the mileage wen't up, but I have been stepping on the gas a lot more just to hear it, so it probably will get worse instead of better!
Back