Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. P

Anyone need a steering wheel??

I needed a on/off switch for cruise control. Bought a like new "tan" steering wheel. Leather is not loose and is still tight to steering wheel. Still has the "resume" button for cruise on the right side. Pay the shipping from Jacksonville and shes yours..email or message me...
  2. P

96 explorer 4.0 fuel pressure p.s.i.??

Upper intake gaskets done!! Truck running much better. I will test fuel pressure tomorrow to see if its better. Would a leaking upper manifold cause low fuel pressure?? I cleaned up the intake really good and inspected for cracks..looked good. I got a FELPRO gasket kit from Advanced Auto...
  3. P

28 psi fuel pressure on 96 4.0 explorer?

Yep..there was 10psi increase with the vacuum line off.. The pressure was 28psi with truck running and when I disconnect the fpr vacuum line it was 38psi... I will check tomorrow with the new upper manifold gasket. Thanks:)Nel
  4. P

Did upper manifold gaskets today... Truck running much better! Havent checked fuel pressure but I will test is tomorrow. Would a upper manifold gasket caused low fuel pressure?? I bought my gasket set at ADVANCED AUTO..they were FELPRO gaskets but I got 6 gaskets and the truck only uses 3...
  5. P

Hello:) Thanks for the reply!!... New filter a couple of weeks ago. I was leaning toward the fpr. My question is wouldnt the symptoms exist when I drive with a bad fpr?? When I drive the truck it accelerates perfect(slow or fast). Doesnt buck at all even if Im in 5th gear(manual) at 30mph...
  6. P

I did a fuel pressure test today. It was at 28 psi. When I disconnected the vacuum line from the regulator it stayed at 38 psi. I shut the engine off and it sat for 20 minutes with 38psi. Are these numbers low for a 1996 4.0 v6? I am chasing a slight rough idle(stumble) What can cause the...
  7. P

Is it the same for a 96?? If it is what can be causing it to be low?? Thanks:)Nelson
  8. P

Ran a test on fuel pressure today. I am getting 28 psi with engine running. I disconnect vacuum line at regulator and am getting 38 psi. Turned off motor and got 38 psi for 20 minutes. How are these numbers?? Chasing a slight stumble at idle. Runs/drives like new. Pull the vacuum line off...
  9. P

Need 96 explorer gas tank and fuel pump..truck fell off lift!

up and running but... I am up and running. Did some fuel pressure testing today but dont know where I stand. With truck running pressure gauge on I have 28 psi constant. I disconnect the vacuum line to fuel pressure regulator and have 38 psi constant. Turn off engine and held a 38 psi for...
  10. P

UPDATE...96 explorer that was afraid of heights.. I found a tank and fuelpump amazingly. It had to be out of a 96 only..no other year tanks would work. Then it had to be out of a 2 door..then it couldnt be mexican for some reason or the other because mine is a USA model. Well took it to the...
  11. P

Imagine this...truck was running near perfect. All I needed was a clutch. Took it for a clutch this morning at 8:00. By 10:00 truck was in the air leaning on a concrete wall! Luckily no one was killed! The garage had 2 lifts..the one my explorer was on from what I understand is for a car...
  12. P

catalytic converter installed backwards??

Had a new converter installed today at a muffler shop. I noticed it wasnt running right and tripped a 402 code on the way home. Went home to see if the muffler techs plugged the 02 sensor back in. They did plug it in but when I looked at the catalytic converter the arrow is going the wrong...
  13. P

Catalytic converter installed backwards..96 explorer

Got a "New" aftermarket(welded on) catalytic converter today and noticed the truck having a little rough idle. On way home got the 420 code (bank 1 efficiency catalyst below threshold) code. How?? I have gotten a new sensor before the cat and new one after the cat and now a new cat. Go home...
  14. P

Ignition pick-up assembly on 96 4.0 explorer

Cant remember if autoparts called it a crankshaft sensor or camshaft sensor. The box says ignition pick-up assembly. I cant find it on my 96explorer 4.0?? Thanks:)Nelson
  15. P

96 4.0 explorer..camshaft position sensor?

Just picked one up and cant find where it is on the engine? My haynes shows the v8 and doesnt show my engine?? Thanks:)Nelson
  16. P

check engine light on today..code PO420..96 explorer

Im going to get an aftermarket cat installed tomorrow. Cant drive truck like this..it stinks and burns my eyes when I drive! Thanks:)Nelson
  17. P

which 02 sensor? code 420 on 96 explorer 4.0?

Installed the 02 sensors After installing the one on bank 1 before the cat..I reset computer and drove around to get the check engine light. Bought the one after the catalytic converter and installed that one and reset the computer. Drove around for about 3 hours and no check engine light...
  18. P

check engine light on today..code PO420..96 explorer

Hollowed out catalytic converter.... Yesterday hollowed out the catalytick converter..was original and a mess..looked like someone poured concrete in both of them. Hollowed out both. Reset check engine light. Drove around for an hour and check engine light back on with same 420 code. Bought...
  19. P

Thanks again!! You have really made me understand this.. For the heck of it Im going to switch the o2 sensor they gave me "before the cat" and see what happens. If it trips Ill buy the one after the cat. If it trips again...Ill send them back and buy this "sim"...Thanks and Ill keep you...
  20. P

Thanks again.. Is this a plug or?? Does it plug inbetween the plugs that connect the o2 sensor to the wire harness for the truck? Which sensor would I plug it into? THanks..learn something new everyday:)
  21. P

What is an 02 sim? Thanks for the help!! What is an o2 sim?? Thanks again..Nelson:)
  22. P

98kmiles. Thought the cats were bad. Hollowed them out last night They were very clogged... Now the truck runs 100% better but got the 420code after about 3hours of driving. THanks:)
  23. P

Getting a code PO420 (CATALYST EFFICIENCY BELOW THRESHOLD..Bank 1). I know bank 1 is passenger side but I see 4 02 sensors all together. 1 sensor on driver side coming down off manifold another 1 on passenger side coming down off manifold. Then there is one that looks like it screws into the...
  24. P

Which catalytic converter would be considered bank 1 on 96 4.0?

Description of code "catalyst efficiency below threshold" Thought o2 sensors had their own codes?
  25. P

Which catalytic converter would be considered bank 1 on 96 4.0?

Getting a PO420 code and want to check converter. Which one is bank 1 converter? How many converters are under there? THanks Nel:)
Back