Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. J

rear end humming

I had the same problem. Hadto have BOTH wheel bearings replaced. They said that they were on the verge of locking up, and at highway speeds locking up would cause the truck to become uncontrollable and probably roll. I had them both replaced as well as one of the rear rotors for just under...
  2. J

02' Rear Window

Mine cracked in half, like most everyone else's, so I had it replaced 2 weeks ago. Saturday night it started coming loose, so I had to re-attach it using GOOP (which holds MUCH better than the OEM black Urethane adhesive they used to put it on with. So, I'd suggest using either "Plumber's...
  3. J

Rear End Howl

I have a 2002 XLT 4x4. I had the same symptoms. Turned out to be BOTH rear wheel bearings.
  4. J

looking for 02-06

Generally, the newer, the better. The 2006 models are 4th generation vehicles, while the 2002-2005 models are all 3rd gen vehicles. The 02s and 03s had a LOT of problems (from what I've read and witnessed). The 04s and 05s seem pretty reliable. I don't know anything about the 06s, and they...
  5. J

Autolocks

My front doors can be opened from the inside at ANY time. The back doors can only be opened from the inside if the child locks are off. My '02 XLT auto locks just like my '95 Thunderbird does (with the exception of the TBird not having rear doors).
  6. J

Compass Problem

I would think the oonly time it would need to be recalibrated would be if the battery were disconnected for a period of time (possibly), or if the Earth's magnetic poles drifted or reversed directions (pray that doesn't happen!). :D
  7. J

Thinking about buying a 02-05 Explorer.

Get a 2005 with the 4.6 if you can afford it. I LOVE the 4.6 in my '95 Tbird (even though it blew up at 82,000 miles. The new replacement engine is great too). The 4.6 has been said to be "the best engine that Ford has ever made". It's VERY smooth and has plenty of power.
  8. J

Thinking about buying a 02-05 Explorer.

Buy the newest one you can! I bought my 1 owner (owned previously by a bank) '02 XLT 4x4 in October '05 with 51,000 miles on it (no factory warranty left) and in January '06 things started tearing up. First the rear wheel bearings went out (they had supposedly already been replaced by the...
  9. J

Factory Foglights

Thanks! :thumbsup:
  10. J

Compass Problem

My '02 showed "S" or "SE" constantly when I bought it. Calibration did the trick. :thumbsup:
  11. J

Thinking of getting an extended warranty on my 2005 Explorer any advice?

Are there any warranties out there that you can purchase if you already have 65,000 miles? I'm looking for something to cover me up to about 100,000 miles...
  12. J

This crack is getting worse. How can I fix it?(pics)

I got the panel replaced today!!! :thumbsup: It was delivered to the body shop from the local Ford dealer yesterday. They painted it yesterday afternoon. I dropped off my truck this morning and it was ready for pickup by lunch. The pannel was $47 and the entire operation was $200 out...
  13. J

Thinking of getting an extended warranty on my 2005 Explorer any advice?

I bought my '02 XLT 4x4 in October '05 with 51,000 miles on it (no factory warranty left) and in January '06 things started tearing up. First the rear wheel bearings went out (they had supposedly already been replaced by the dealer). That was an almost $1000 service. Then the intermediate...
  14. J

Factory Foglights

Anyone know the Ford part # for the foglight kit, specifically for a 2002/3rd gen Explorer? I'm having trouble finding it online. :(
  15. J

Help, 2002 roll over 50 mph

BOTH of my rear wheel bearings had to be replaced last September on my '02 XLT 4x4 with about 60,000 miles on it. Ran close to $1000 (parts. labor, plus 1 defective rear rotor) and took about a week because they had to send the hubs off to have the bearings pressed out or something stupid like...
  16. J

This crack is getting worse. How can I fix it?(pics)

I bought my '02 XLT 4x4 in October 2005. It was in great shape. I noticed the crack start forming in the top of the panel in January 2006. By March 2006, the crack had made it to the bottom of the panel, thus splitting the panel into two individual pieces. :mad: Over the last year I...
  17. J

How many miles will an explorer go for?

Yep. People are complainers by nature. They don't post to praise, they post to complain. Or, they post looking for an answer to a problem. Rarely do you see anyone posting solely for the reason of praising a vehicle or to talk about not having ANY problems. Before I bought my '02 4WD...
  18. J

problem with rear glass trim

Is this a "free" fix? Mine broke last night and is a '02 with about 54,000 miles on it, so it's out of warranty. :mad:
  19. J

Cracked Tailgate Molding

I just noticed that mine cracked - sometime between last night and this morning - from top to bottom, just beside the Ford oval. CRAP. It was only 34 last night. I might have to Bondo and paint it until I can afford $250, or at least to get it through the winter. :mad:
  20. J

Over drive light keeps flashing. Help

What does a transmission solenoid body do? If it's not necessary, why is it there to begin with? That worries me! :eek:
  21. J

3rd Gen Stock Horse Power

crap crappity crap crap! :mad: Oh well, I bought the Explorer to haul my family around. I've got the TBird for speed! :D I looked at a '06 Pathfinder a few months back. VERY nice. I couldn't justify losing 60% of the purchase value in the first 4 years, though, so I bought a 4...
  22. J

3rd Gen Stock Horse Power

My 2002 is a 4.0 with only ~215 HP! :mad:
  23. J

LED Puddle Light Tutorial Now Online

Hey, whatever works! :D I just did mine my way because I'm used to designing industrial, automotive, and electrical assemblies at work. It's kinda ingrained into me now. :confused:
  24. J

LED Wiring

The part number is: 82QBK-ND (plug it into the "part search" box). They're 5.6 cents each, but you have to order them in multiples of 5. J
  25. J

LED Wiring

82 Ohm resistors can be found at DigiKey.com. They're really inexpensive. The cargo light is much the same as the dome light, which is just another type of board. Different design, but the same concept. ;) Did you get the super bright LEDs, or the regular ones? You know what the mcd...
Back