Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. N

Heads UP 2002 Owners!!!!

Grand Cherokee I am driving my old 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee. It is my standby beater truck, but it has now become my main ride. I want sooooo bad to get another Explorer, but with all the problems I had with my 1991 and this 2002, I have lost all faith in this model of truck. Things broke on...
  2. N

Gear Shift Broke Off in Hands!!!

I wish this repair had been around when mine broke!!! I'm the original poster of this thread. As an update to replacing the steering column, it is still going strong at 185,000. But I just ended up selling the Explorer because of air bags deploying for no reason. Anyway, hope this Dorman repair...
  3. N

Heads UP 2002 Owners!!!!

Well.... With much much sadness, I sold the Explorer today. I didn't really want to sell it, but I just can't wrap my head around wanting to ever drive this truck again with issues this drastic. I decided to cut my losses. Got $1,200 for it. And Ford was absolutely NO HELP what-so-ever. I can't...
  4. N

Heads UP 2002 Owners!!!!

Already has Take a look here http://www.carcomplaints.com/Ford/Explorer/2002/seat_belts_air_bags/curtain_airbags_deployed_unnecessarily.shtml A lady in Australia was driving down the road and it deployed, almost killing her.
  5. N

Heads UP 2002 Owners!!!!

Just putting out this FYI for all of you 2002 owners. I only say this year, because this is what I have. Anyway, I was hooking up the trailer hitch to my explorer and got in and out of the truck several times to check the alignment of the ball. Put the truck in park, got out and shut the drivers...
  6. N

02 XLS clicking noise from front wheel(s)

It is most likely the bearings. If not that, then the CV joint. This is 4 wheel drive correct? If so, then check both of those things. Jack the front up and grab the tire and shake it from the 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock position. If there is a lot of movement, then the bearings are toast. On the...
  7. N

Looking at buying 2002 Exp. Eddie Bauer

As someone else said... I'm in it ankles deep.... so it would be stupid for me to get rid of my 2002 EB 4x4. With that said I am going to tell you that this truck has been the biggest piece of crap I have ever owned. I have owned a lot of Ford trucks. I will fix something, go about 5,000...
  8. N

keypad not workiong

I just had the same problem. I pulled the boot out like was suggested and found three wires totally cut in half. Repaired them and all is well again. :)
  9. N

My gear shift lever broke off in my hand!

This is my story with it. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=188761&highlight=broken+shifter This is the thread that I started back when it happened to me. The piece is pot metal. Don't even bother trying fixing it. Read the post. Get the part from the guy that made a bunch...
  10. N

Panels Fading

Paint So I'm assuming you have used this technique? Does it work and hold up? Will it match the colors?
  11. N

Panels Fading

Same here I have an 02 4x4 EB and I'm having the same problems. It looks like the plastic is actually being aroded away. I had an 84 Bronco that did the same thing.
  12. N

Sorry to hear it Wow. As these vehicles get older, this problem is going to happen more frequently. Unfortunately, we haven't been financially able to rid ourselves of this truck, but we are still planning to get rid of it. This vehicle has so many problems it should be illegal. Our new...
  13. N

yep There is one wire with a switch that the column activates. I'm not sure what it is, BUT I can tell you that if your not handy with fabrication and and metal, that idea is going to cost you more that just buying the shift column. I don't plan on keeping my truck much longer, so I'm not to...
  14. N

nope None whatsoever. It just broke off in her hands!
  15. N

not that I know of Not that I know of. Did yours break? If you look at the design of the unit you will see that it is made of pot metal. If you know someone at a machine shop, they MIGHT be able to design another one. However, the part was cast in pot metal as one unit. The design is very poor...
  16. N

Help Please!!!

Go to Mods Section. You might want to post this in the mods section. This is clearly a modification. :thumbsup:
  17. N

Thanks ;) Thanks for the offer, but I went ahead and "invested" in a new steering column. The part hasn't been been revised. They just upgraded the entire Explorer to the center shift style and abandoned the shift column style. I'm pretty sure that with all the problems I have had with this...
  18. N

DPFE Sensor Location ('02 V6 Ex)

I'm at work right now, but I will try and look them up in the morning. The view is actually looking from the passenger seat looking forward, or standing by the passenger door looking forward if you can imagine all the sheetmetal invisible. Basically, you are looking at the back of the engine.
  19. N

I'm not sure. I only have the shop manual for the 4.0. Sorry
  20. N

SES Code P1400

Most likely your DPFE sensor has gone bad. This is an EGR Pressure Sensor sitting near the EGR valve on your truck. It is an item that is being replaced by the dealer with some restrictions. I can't remember what they were, but mine was replaced out of warranty as part of their Customer...
  21. N

Here it is #2 is what you are looking for. ;)
  22. N

Is there a TSB On The Gear Shifter??? Is there any type of TSB on this Gear Shifter problem? I just ordered a new upper steering column and I am hoping that the part that broke is revised. Anyone have any clues to this? I don't see too many people on this forum having this problem?
  23. N

Newby Question

Not to be a downer, but I would quietly walk away from any 2002 model explorer. I have a 2002 EB in IMMACULATE condition, meaning it looks great, but the mechanicals are not up to par. My steering shifter just broke and now I have to pay $600 just for the part. A couple of months back my 4x4...
  24. N

Ummm.. ok. That's a big heli!:eek: Chrome Plated motor huh? My budget doesn't go that high, but it's good to see that I'm not the only person who loves tinkering with EVERYTHING!!! You finished the Heli yet? Sidenote: Gotta but a new steering colum because the metal piece is made out of...
  25. N

I'm getting ready to dive into helis myself. Here's my club's web site: http://www.newportnewsrc.org/ I'm going to start with the TRex and see how that goes. I have some experience with 'em and have flown my friends a couple of times. Just alot of money! Well, I tried putting stress on...
Back