Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. ghh97eb

no passenger high beam

Hi, I'd give the LOM a close-up inspection with a magnifying glass--I have had to re-solder a couple of the connections on the LOM for my 97 Eddie Bauer to fix headlight lamp out issues. To me, the telltale sign is that you replaced the bulbs and the high beam still doesn't work. Both times I...
  2. ghh97eb

Seat Belt Receiver Removal

Replacing the driver's side seat belt reciever Hello all, Using the info provided in this thread, I recently replaced the driver's side seatbelt reciever in my good old 97 Eddie. I have done a number of fixes using the helpful hints from this message board (curise control switches, replace...
  3. ghh97eb

Highest original parts mileage

1997 Eddie Bauer V8 AWD -- bought in 2005 with 102,000 miles on it for $3,800. Now has 162,000 miles on it. :thumbsup: Love this truck!! Only things replaced have been alternator (Oct. 07) and radiator (Dec. 08). Tranny is original and runs great, no slipping (knock on wood). Replaced tranny...
  4. ghh97eb

P0133 Controversy??

Thanks, Dave, for your informative post. BTW, it looks like the mystery is growing -- the Check Engine Light that comes on when I get the P0133 code I mentioned has recently begun turning itself off on its own, for some reason. What I am going to do the next time that the CEL comes on is to...
  5. ghh97eb

P0133 Controversy??

Recently my 97 Eddie Bauer 5.0 AWD has started to repeatedly throw the P0133 code. According to my Actron PocketScan booklet, this code corresponds to "02 Sensor Ckt Slow Response, Bank 1". Ok, so it is an Oxygen sensor. The problem is, that according to some of the posts I've read, the O2...
  6. ghh97eb

Emergency brake issue

Hi, If you haven't already fixed the high mount brake light on your 96 Explorer, here's how I fixed mine last year when it finally gave up the ghost and held up my passing the VA state inspection (with pix): http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=182652 Just another option...
  7. ghh97eb

How many miles??

Around 145,000 miles on our 97 Eddie Bauer 5.0 AWD. Tranny had the 35-40 MPH shudder until I flushed the old fluid and replaced it with full synthetic, has run smooth with no shudder ever since (approximately 40,000 miles ago). Necessary upgrades / mods / fixes have been: 1) New...
  8. ghh97eb

'97 high-mount brake lamp LED conversion

Hello again, thought I'd post some follow-ups to posts made by Rizzjc and Joe Dirt: Rizzjc: Thanks for the compliments on my work. I would not have been able to knowhow to go about getting started if it weren't for your valuable info, though, so thanks again for your write up...
  9. ghh97eb

'97 high-mount brake lamp LED conversion

LED conversion alternative for '97 Ex Thanks in large part to the info from this thread, I was able to succesfully replace the neon bulb in my '97 Eddie Bauer's high mount brake light with two waterproof LED bars, available from superbrightleds.com, that nicely fit inside the high mount brake...
  10. Hi mount LED pix

Hi mount LED pix

These pix are what the hi-mount brake light on my 97 Ex looks like after I replaced the neon bulb with 2 waterproof LED arrays.
  11. Hi mount LED pix

Hi mount LED pix

These pix are what the hi-mount brake light on my 97 Ex looks like after I replaced the neon bulb with 2 waterproof LED arrays.
  12. Hi mount LED pix

Hi mount LED pix

13. Hi mount LED pix

Hi mount LED pix

14. ghh97eb

Explorer electrical issues? Or not?

Hi, I (unfortunately) know from experience that, from the symptoms you described (battery light on, ABS light on, airbag light on, dying when acceleration is attempted) that you definitely have a bad alternator. Does your Ex have the message center? If so, and the message "Check Charging...
  15. ghh97eb

Looking at buying a 3rd Gen Ex -- What to Avoid?

Hi, I currently have a 97 Eddie Bauer V8 AWD Explorer that I really love. It has about 140,000 miles on it. I am planning on keeping it for another 60 K miles or so, assuming things continue to hold up as well as they have. I baby it and have fixed a number of smaller problems myself, thanks...
  16. ghh97eb

How to: Blend door motor fix (2nd Gen)

Hello, Once again the Serious Explorations site has proved to be very, very valuable in helping me fix a problem with my '97 Eddie Bauer AWD V8 5.0, this time, with the HVAC system. By posting this message, I'm hoping to help the next person that experiences the problem do an easy fix that I...
  17. ghh97eb

Headlight Problem....

Glad you were able to fix it! ANd for so cheap! :cool: I was REALLY happy that I was able to fix this problem so easily on my '97 EB, too. And it only cost what I paid for the soldering gun!! This site is great, I think it has saved me like $2000 easily. On a different note, if you ever...
  18. ghh97eb

Headlight Problem....

Hi there, I just recently had this problem, and was able to cheaply and easily fix it (without being a mechanic or someone who regularly repairs small electronics). Your problem is definitely the LOM, based on the description of what works and what doesn't. The most likely issue is, based on...
  19. ghh97eb

Center console armrest repair

Hi, This repair was one of the first things I ever attempted with my '97 black-and-tan Eddie Bauer. I took off the lid from the center console and unscrewed the bottom piece from the top piece to get the damaged tan vinyl cover off. I re-upholstered it myself by cutting a piece of black...
  20. ghh97eb

Lamp Out Module fixed easily! THX!!

Informative posts on this board have recently helped me to perform an easy fix on my 1997 Eddie Bauer. A couple of weeks ago, my wife and I thought that the driver's side low beam headlight filament had burned out, because the low beam light would not come on and the message center gave us...
  21. ghh97eb

97 AWD V8 tranmission shifting too high

Hello, I also have a 97 V8 AWD Explorer with an automatic transmission. When I bought it in late 2005, it had 102K miles on it and soon after I began driving it, I noticed that the tranny seemed to "shudder" at around 40 MPH, just before (or after?) switching gears. The "shudder" was the same...
  22. ghh97eb

terrible gas milage

Driving habits and a host of other factors can affect MPG, but you might want to consider increasing the PSI of your tires. This is a cheap fix and may give you good results. I have a '97 Eddie V8 with AWD and 124K miles. When I increased the PSI in the tires last year from what the sticker...
  23. ghh97eb

Front End Noise?

Thanks alot for the info, Lazzman -- yeah, $15 sure is a nice price, plus getting grease fittings would be very helpful. I wonder if they are hard to install? :thumbsup:
  24. ghh97eb

Front End Noise?

I would also like to hear recommendations as to a good type of lube to use for this application (bushings). I'm trying to learn the "what's" and "hows" of things to lube dealing with the suspension, to get rid of a persistent squeak in the front end that seems to get louder when I back up. I...
  25. ghh97eb

Lube questions

Thanks for the info, especially about the CV boot. I really don't think that the CV is what is causing the squeaking noise, since other folks on the site seem to say that the CV makes a "clunk" or "grinding" noise if it is going bad, but I figured that if it is something I should lube, I should...
Back