Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. 5

Is regearing really that hard?!?

I asked myself the same question a while back and decided to go for it. We have a very very very limited number of specialty auto shops in Ottawa and I figure I could do just as a good of job as the auto shop that says they can do it but has only done it once in the last two years. We have the...
  2. 5

Removing plastic bumper piece

Dont worry.. If you need tow hooks than you've already managed to leave half the plastic air deflector in the bush already. Just rip whatever is left of it off. Oh and youll also want to loose the fog lights befor you hit the trail..
  3. 5

sasd 2nd gen on eBay

Provided it is a trail only rig than I suppose the steering setup would work in a pinch.. I mean if you were on a budget and wanted something quick and dirty then I would have to give some credit for comming up with something so simple. But as everyone else has said, it looks like a death trap...
  4. 5

Suggestion for Heavy Duty Shock Absorbers

I also run the 9000x's with add-a-leaf, shackles and TT. Much stiffer ride than OEM and the 9000's seem to handle the abuse ok. No complaints yet.
  5. 5

Gas tank crossmember relocation

Has anyone considered raising the cross member above the gas tank up 3" to match their body lifts. As it stands the gas tank is one of the lowest parts of the truck and I would like to raise it up 3". I was thinking that some 2"x3" tubing welded to the top of the frame, existing cross member...
  6. 5

Flyboycoe's AWD 5.0 to 4WD Conversion

What he said^^^^^^ I also have no sec cats. The only other thing that is a little to close for me was the gas tank. However, big hammer will fix that.
  7. 5

Rebuild 8.8 w 4.56 Gears

Thanks mountaingreen.. So far it looks its gonna be cheaper to get everything already packaged up in one shot. For those wondering the original bearings have 255000km on them. First front and rear diff fluid change was at about 250000km. Not bad.
  8. 5

Rebuild 8.8 w 4.56 Gears

I have a tendancy to want to stick with Ford parts. Too many problems with aftermarket stuff (Rancho 9000x in cab controller, alternator, starter, spark plug wires. You name it they have all in one way or another created some sort of problem). Started a list of parts to rebuild the front and...
  9. 5

Rebuild 8.8 w 4.56 Gears

Im torn. I just installed the 4406, and now I'm rebuilding the 8.8. I cant afford to do the D35 at the same time (will be pulling driveshaft). The question is do I even bother with the D35 or go all out and get a D60 or something for up front. Does it make sense to rebuild a D35...
  10. 5

Rebuild 8.8 w 4.56 Gears

I need to rebuild the 8.8 and figure I might as well go all out and get 4.56 to go with the 33's. Opinions on Yukon, Superior Gear, FMS, Precision Gear, Motive Gear and others would be appreciated. I have all the tools needed to make quick work of this job just lacking the brand name know all...
  11. 5

Rusted bolts on rear shackles...HELP!!!!!

I ended up using a 6' cheater bar to snap the bolts in two. Then an air hammer to buzzzzz them out, then a pry bar, some more air hammer, torch, pry bar, air hammer, foul language and them some more air hammer. It was no easy task.
  12. 5

Ya I suppose the front diff is more less fixed in one place anyhow. I mean it does flex a twist about the rubber bushings, but not much. I will leave her as is and see what happens. As for the Napa "Brute Force" U-joints I have mixed feelings. The rear U-joint on the rear axle has already...
  13. 5

410, MtnGreen and the likes. How much slip was left in the front driveshaft after the conversion? I have less than 3/16" before the slip yoke bottomes out under compression. Im afraid if it does bottom out Im going to be replacing pinion bearings or u-joints or something that costs me money.
  14. 5

I'm not really sure why I would ever put the AWD TC back in. I guess for now I just wanted to make sure that the BW4406 I bought wasnt a lemmon. If it was, I could at least put things back together as they were. I also changed all the u-joints on the donor driveshafts, I'm not sure if there...
  15. 5

It does if you want to put things back to stock form. I'm just saying that its not a bad idea to spend 2 minutes to mark everything. I’m pretty sure your not going to say "damn I wish I hadn’t marked the drive shafts, now I have this bad ass vibration". 3.5 hours is fast. I’m sure I could...
  16. 5

The conversion takes about 16 solid hours in -15C. The hardest part was getting the freaking AWD TC to break loose. After about an hour I ended up using an air hammer to pry the things apart. I wouldnt recommend it as it will score the tailhousing, but I was out of options. The body lift is...
  17. 5

Jigas 4406 Swap

Try to get a rear driveshaft from an air susp Navigator. I beleive, but am not 100% that they use the heavier duty 1350 U joints. The non-air susp uses the 1330. Something to keep in mind.
  18. 5

410Fortune goes low range was my guiding light. I more less hijacked the thread somewhere around page 10ish. Just finished my conversion and I have to say it was well worth it. The truck feels quicker off the line, the steering is much lighter, I should start to see better fuel milage, less...
  19. 5

Slip Yoke Lube.. Im stuck

thanks 410..
  20. 5

Slip Yoke Lube.. Im stuck

Whats the heck should I lube the slip yoke with.. This is not your standard exp rear driveshaft.. Its a Navigator drive shaft with a slip yoke that slides into the rear end of the BW4406. Are the splines self lubricated with Mercron from the transfer case, or should I put some general purpose...
  21. 5

How to: 4406 Shifting: How To

Ill have to post some pictures of my homebrew shift linkage.. It was a pretty ghetto operation. 1st i bought the shift linkage for 220, then i built my own from scrap I had laying around, then I returned the shift linkage and after I was reimbursed I showed the parts guy mine and asked if I...
  22. 5

Ill keep updating Post #1 so that all the facts are in 1 place and all the discussion below.
  23. 5

My TC was out of a 2001 F150 and the mystery Black/White wire doesnt appear to have ever been connected. It looks as thought it has some sort of factory plug stuck in the end to keep the dirt out. I also believe the mystery wire is mechanical lock that prevents you from switching into or...
  24. 5

I have also heard that if you are stuck in 4L and can’t get out that you should try putting the truck on a slight incline facing up or down, then with foot on brake put transmission in neutral, move from 4L to 4H, let of brake real slow and the TC should pop into 4H. In addition it is...
  25. 5

Ok folks. Need a little help here. How do you properly shift a manual BW4406 in and out of ranges: Here’s what I gather so far (I'm sure it will all make sense when I actually get it installed). What Ford has to say: The 4406 manual shift and electronics shift transfer cases are...
Back