Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. M

AC Compressor failed replaced

Update: I fixed it...well sorta. It was a1997 F150. I traded it in. :-) It also had what I believe to be the one way clutch failing in the transmission and I was sick of it. I only owned the truck for a year and that is a record for me, I typically enjoy working on things and learning...
  2. M

No, the hose blew off then I reattached it and re-vacumed iot.
  3. M

Yup, I e-vac it for just over an hour after the hose blew off before refilling.
  4. M

I know it is not a Explorer, but I own a 2000 Explorer that I have gotten tons of good help with and I recently had an issue with other vehicle, a 97 F150 so I thought I try here. Anyhow, I recently had the compressor fail on my F150 while on a trip. First blew hot air and got VERY noisy so I...
  5. M

4R70W...if truck coasts the tranny then slips

So if it is a failing pump , would it be possible to be intermittent? Please forgive my ignorance but it has gone several weeks again with no slipping. I have seen the pressure tap ports in the "rebuild" diary and would I hook a mechanical gauge to them and run into vehicle interior...
  6. M

As far as I know there has never been a VB kit installed, it is stock. I also own a Explorer with the 5R55E and knew of the VB issues with those but thought (hoped?) the 4R70W VB was better. I guess a kit & EPC would not hurt. (I have replaced the other electricals in VB other then the...
  7. M

I have not had the issue in about 2 wks of driving again, transmission shifts fine. I only drive about 4 miles to work but all city and thru the inter sections that make the tranny slip, and quite abit of weekend driving. I wonder if the one way clutch would be to intemittant. Any thoughts...
  8. M

I re-read it last night and sure enough he has added some info to it. Lots of good stuff there for sure. I would be lying to say I absorbed it thoroughly the 1st time thru. I had a guy on another board reply to the issue and said it sounds as if the one way clutch is still old style and...
  9. M

I have read it, I read it back in the day when I was first having issues and learning about the 4R70W. I believe at that time he was adding to it slowly though so perhaps a re-read is in order?
  10. M

I had some issues right after I bought the truck (used) about 10 months ago, it has 120k on it then. Guy I bought it from said the tranny supposedly was re-done at 115k by local shop. Anyhow about 3 wks of owning it I had a a issue where the TC was staying locked up, after some help of good...
  11. M

I have a 4R70W with 130k and lately I have noticed sometimes when I decelerate (like coasting thru rough intersection at around 30 MPH) and re-apply the throttle the tranny slips like crazy then up-shifts and acts normal. Only does it when it coats and then acts like it downshifts when it...
  12. M

Help O/D light flashing

Not all cheap scanners (Autozones) will pull the tranny codes. Spend the 50 bucks (that is what my local dealer charged me) to pull codes, and post results and go from there.
  13. M

Help O/D light flashing

The OD light flashing mean there is a trouble code and the transmission is in limp mode. Long term will do more damage to the transmission, so needs attention. Did mechanic say what the codes was? I think you need to get the code and post results here, there are many knowledgeable and helpful...
  14. M

9000+ lbs tow rating my a**

I want to help defend him, I bet if you hooked the 7??? lbs up it would still tow like crap. My 2000 is rated for like 5250lbs I think and when I tow my 3750lb boat in Florida it is crap. I know I am way under the max, rating and it is near unsafe. The tow ratings are outta hand, as much as I...
  15. M

O/D light flashing and Tranny warning

Yes, that means the transmission has thrown a "code" and is limp home mode. You need to, they are stored in the computer. Take it somewhere and have the codes pulled. Autozones will pull them for free but not all the codes will show up with their scan tools. The dealers can of course do it...
  16. M

4R70W OD light flash...1-2 shift error

Hum, I didn't think of pushing on them to see if they were harder than normal o-rings, I looked at them for nicks etc. but not at the durometer. I don't think I still have the old piston as I have cleaned up workbench since then but I will look to see if by chance I still have it. Are you...
  17. M

Fluid is clean and correct level...., thanks for advice. I calming down some since drove it home (we were about 15 miles away from home when it did it) and to work today..no issues either time. We leave tomorrow to cross the state towing the boat for a mini vacation and I was planning on using...
  18. M

The truck has been running/shifting good for ~2 wks. Yea. Tonight as I was rounding a curve about 40mph I went to accelerate slightly and it either shifted out of OD and down a gear and/or slipped terribly for about one second duration. Either grabbed or up shifted and was fine. No OD...
  19. M

Check Engine-OBDII question fm Newbie

Local autozones will scan it for free. Their scan tools are not nearly as good as the dealer ones but it is free.
  20. M

Torque Converter Not Unlocking

Does truck totally stall of just nearly stall? I had similar issue with 4R70W and it was the TCC. Electrically it was fine (resistance ) so never threw a code. The 4R70W has a hydraulic bypass that unlocks the TC is 1st so truck would nearly stall until it downshifted. If I started it and...
  21. M

Update: I think it is fixed. :thumbsup: I replaced the 1-2 accumulator cover with updated one and the solenoid pack. I drove the truck about 30 miles tonight as well as a ton of stop and go (1-2 shifts) in my neighborhood and no codes...shifts smooth and nice..best since I have owned it. I...
  22. M

I pulled the codes tonight. P0781....1-2 shift malfunction. I drove it home from work and 1st couple miles was AOK, then once I felt it slip slightly in the shift into 2nd gear and OD light flashed. I ordered the solenoid pack and updated 1-2 accumulator cover from local dealer....will try...
  23. M

I will pull codes tomorrow and post what they are. Hopefully my buddies has access to hand held scanner will gather them (his neighbor is automotive tech so it a pretty high end). I pulled them tonight before truck was back together and it had C1234 &C1148. (I think they are both RF ABS...
Back