Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. R

I want to supercharge my 5.0 Exploder!

I'll definitely be doing exhaust upgrades one way or another. Probably 1 5/8" shorty headers as I can get those in 50 state legal, high flow cats and 3' single exhaust so I'll remain compliant. No big deal there. I don't really care about equal length, just a little more volume should suffice...
  2. R

What kit are you adapting, do you per chance have a build thread?
  3. R

You're referring to the exhaust ports on the stock heads? Those would likely be the next upgrade anyway. (or the first if i give up on forced induction) Trick flow twisted wedge heads are 50 state legal, and they flow great so that's kind of a no brainer. If i don't do the blower, I'll just...
  4. R

Thanks for the info Don, knowing that I'll keep a look out for something 2L and up. Chances are it'll end up a stroker with some heads later if all works out. That 94-95 mustang kenne bell kit seems to be about as much of a unicorn as the explorer express kit, I can't find anything except 10...
  5. R

I was ready to pull the trigger on an Explorer Express Xcharger for my 5.0... Then I discovered that they have been out of business for 15 or 20 years and the website was apparently a ghost from the past :( I've searched high and low and I can't see to find any kits available for them at all...
  6. R

1993 power loss and wont run right

Wow, I just stumbled onto my own old thread while googling for something else completely!! I see I never posted what the fix ultimately was for this problem.. well better late than never! Eventually scanned it and found a lean condition for one bank, and a rich condition for the other... It...
  7. R

TDS Anyone?

Had a great time! ended up taking my explorer and glad i did. I saw that white explorer with the tire on the back, too! I wish i had gotten a chance to check it out a bit, I haven't seen any other SAS'd explorers in person. might be nice to see how someone else has done one even got some video...
  8. R

New build, 92 XLT just finished it!

Thanks for the compliments guys. And agreed, you do get a lot of bang for the buck with these first gen exploders, probably my favorite all around vehicle. This one came out so nice I think I'm going to install the same lift and tires on my '93 which has been my daily driver for the past few...
  9. R

New build, 92 XLT just finished it!

Over the last couple months I've spent a few weekends building up a '92 for my wife... not sure how much use it'll get but I thought I'd share a few pics of it and a brief story on the build. As usual, I wish i took some before pictures.. this '92 has been sitting since 2011 with a bad fuel...
  10. R

TDS Anyone?

Heck yeah i'll be there!!! Only thing I can't decide is which truck I'm gonna bring! I could bring my explorer, which I have brought the past few years and is always a blast.. as seen in these clips from TDS https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUQuaQ8KQ4s...
  11. R

1993 Explorer sitting for over 2 years. Doesn't start

I've had several ford fuel pumps go bad from sitting (for a year or more) without being run. especially if the tank is "empty" i think moisture condenses in the pump and jams up the vanes. replace the pump, it'll probably fire right up. just don't get a crappy autozone pump.. i had 2...
  12. R

AWD vs 4WD

The tires are stock size (235/70r16) and they are all warn out (to the wear bars) but fairly evenly warn. I will be getting a new set of tires soon, probably BFG rugged terrain 245/75's. i know, i know.. not stock size, but the stock size looks too small IMO :) about the speedo being...
  13. R

4x4auto T-case binding..

recently picked up a 2002 explorer. once it's warmed up (noticed after driving a couple hours) it seems the transfer case is binding up a little.. when i make a sharp turn it hear some clunking/bumping and it just feels bad. I've read a little about a "viscous coupling" but I also...
  14. R

AWD vs 4WD

Update. so i changed the rear dif oil and put in 85w140 with about 1/2 quart of Lucas. the ring and pinion whine is now barely noticeable. I'll consider this a victory for the time being. I have noticed a couple other problems since i got it though. there seems to be at least one wheel...
  15. R

AWD vs 4WD

Well it was in really good shape so i went ahead and bought it today. $5k. it does have the 4x4auto/4x4/low buttons, and it appears to work correctly, as it goes into low range fine, and i tried flooring it in gravel and there was no rear wheelspin (so it must have engaged almost...
  16. R

AWD vs 4WD

I'm looking at a 2002 explorer on craigslist, the owner says it is 4x4 but "it's awd when not in 4x4".. i know very little about these "newer" explorers. in my '93, it's 2 wheel, 4 wheel, or 4 wheel low. my understanding is that this is AWD, 4 wheel, 4 low. Am i correct in that...
  17. R

is it worth putting money into my explorer

If you want a v8, i'd start looking for a second gen with a 5.0 in it. it'll have MAF, roller cam, the good heads and everything already in it. and i don't mean a second gen to cannibalize for your first gen project, i mean sell the first gen, and buy the second gen with the v8 in it...
  18. R

the vast majority of those who go down the "if only i had a v8 in my first gen" road end up with a pile of parts that never go together, and all their time/money wasted. swapping a v8 into a first gen explorer is not an easy task. many people think it's simple like swapping a different engine...
  19. R

I bought my '91 for $250 with a bunch of dents, a knocking engine, and a blown trans. then i spent about $6,000 on it, doing the work myself (Except the trans rebuild which was a steel at $500) it's got the stock 4.0, auto trans, and i'm running 1 ton axles with lockers and 37" tires. i...
  20. R

Loud bang, now lower gas mileage !!!

I'd say its likely just time for a good tune up, as mentioned above.
  21. R

Loud bang, now lower gas mileage !!!

is it possible you just ran over something, and you noticed the mileage drop as a result of "looking for something wrong" so to speak?
  22. R

Hungry Valley/Gorman Ca 8/18-8/19/2012

my X has no a/c (at the moment).... it'll be nice temps by evening. but sounds like only the OP is going, and he's only going for a couple hours and leaving. if this is the case, i'll probably just stay home and work on my rigs. they need plenty. maybe we can get a bigger group?
  23. R

Hungry Valley/Gorman Ca 8/18-8/19/2012

I might go.. just need to fix a hub and put my skid plate back on first. ... sounds fun :) be more specific about timing.. I'd probably head up Saturday, camp saturday night and head home sunday. so, maybe meet Saturday at like 3:00 at the obstacle course area? do you have a CB?
  24. R

Does FORD motor co. HATE the USA???

Agreed, and trucks (for now) are exempt from the plastic bumper laws. (although they do still have crumple zones) It's cars that have plastic bumpers.. compare any of the new "retro" cars (camaro, mustang, charger, etc) with the classic muscle cars they are modeled after.
  25. R

Does FORD motor co. HATE the USA???

To name a few.. CAFE. 5mph bumpers airbags, abs, and other safety requirements crumple zones bumper heights emission restrictions you may feel that the government is doing "the right thing" with some of its mandates, but that doesn't change the fact that those are all hurtles for the...
Back