Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. R

Timing light skipping a fire.

I picked up a 1991 Ranger 4.0 5 speed a few months back. I am trying to get this thing to pass smog so I can daily drive it but it keeps failing emissions with slightly high HC and then gross polluter status for CO. NO is super low. Anyway I hooked up my timing light and notice every 5 to 30...
  2. R

My 1991 Ranger daily driver build.

Yeah I think the case was swapped at some point. I still haven't even tried to swap it into 4wd yet. Right now I am still trying to get it to pass smog so I can get tags for it. The HC has been high and the CO has been extremely high. I have tried twice and failed both times. Truck has a...
  3. R

For Sale Second Gen explorer front winch bumper

They are $400 shipped in the USA unwelded and without hardware. You will need to provide the 2x2 square tube as well. The USPS discontinued the box I shipped with so once I am out of the supply of boxes I have then I will have to revisit pricing.
  4. R

Completed Project Kirby's 1991 Ranger Build Up

With my 93 I fought for months the truck cutting out anytime I headed up the mountains to go wheeling. I could drive around town and never have a problem. I could wheel all day on the trail with never a problem. As soon as I hit the major climb up the mountain of 3000 foot elevation gain in...
  5. R

A long time. California smog laws are enough to keep me from dealing with it again after we did an engine swap in my wifes Jeep.
  6. R

I ran my code checker and keep getting code 41. I installed a new O2 sensor and it still comes back. Also as I was unloading it off the trailer I hit the wipers to clear the dew and now they won't turn off. So a new switch has been ordered and some reason the tilt column won't tilt. That...
  7. R

I picked up this 1991 Ranger a few days ago to become my daily driver and who knows maybe a few small off road mods. It is a 1991 4wd XLT standard cab long bed with 122k miles. Powering it is a 4.0 5 speed manual and an electric shift tcase. Inside is a near perfect 60/40 bench zero cracks...
  8. R

Rear bumper for our 2001 Explorer

My plan was to eventually add a swing out tire carrier to it. The ends are fully boxed and the piece that goes forward towards the tire also has an additional frame tie in point. I realized that I don't have the money or need for a 3rd off road vehicle so this build has stalled out. That tire...
  9. R

RockRangerII Refresh

Built the three doors with latches for the passenger side.
  10. R

RockRangerII Refresh

Progress has been slower then I would like as life has been busy lately. I managed to bend the upper tube to tie the cage into the rest of the bed. Then I started working on the frame around the doors for the first hatch. My homemade sheet metal brake was leaving a lot to be desired. Last...
  11. R

I had to use a different lower radiator hose. The single core came strait out the radiator and the duel core came out pointing down at an angle. My duel is an auto trans radiator and the single was manual trans.
  12. R

If you do that make sure you change the fan shroud as well. You will more then likely need the automatic lower radiator hose as well. I changed all three parts together when I did my swap.
  13. R

RockRangerII Refresh

Added a few more tubes to the side of the bed. I also started sheet metal floor for the new front compartment. Then I moved up the front section of the open bed up. It was always a catch for sticke leafs and dirt. The open area under will be enclosed and accessiblefrom the side it will make a...
  14. R

When I first put my doubler in, when using double low the truck would ovheat in just a matter of a few minutes of 2k pulls in the rocks. New fan clutch fixed that problem. Then in the summer on the long grade to the trails (1500 ft to 5000 ft in 8 miles) it would overheat. Swapped in the two...
  15. R

Hopefully that shifter boot is better then the Amazon one a bought that cracked and fell apart after a year or so. I can't remember what brand mine was but it was cheap. I want to see how you like the doubler compared to your old d.d machine setup.
  16. R

RockRangerII Refresh

Floor of one of the new storage compartments is temporarily held in place. Will start welding it in tomorrow. Way back in the day old school member DB1 told me to build as much storage in as I could. I thought I did build in enough but I didn't. Having a standard cab makes it hard to have a...
  17. R

RockRangerII Refresh

I extended the bumper towards the tire so that it aligned with the top bar.
  18. R

RockRangerII Refresh

If I remember right from last time I investigated it, it was coming coming thru the tail light circut wire.
  19. R

Finally- a decent Transfer-case option for us! The Behemoth Strongbox Doubler

Did you get this yet? I am still rocking my D and D doubler from like 2006 with a spare on the shelf. Once I plugged the factory vent hole and tapped the top of the case for a relocated vent and used great stuff sealant my leak issues went away. But with the cutaway case like I am running I...
  20. R

RockRangerII Refresh

Pulled out the reliable old blue tube on a roll to get a visual of what I was thinking. After a bit of looking at it I started on the tube work. I put a 5 degree bend in the main tube. This way it roughly follows the slider then cuts back to tie in with the bumper. I am designing this all...
  21. R

RockRangerII Refresh

I had the axle side track bar crack half way thru. I found it before it fully broke. It was the only store bought bracket that I used. Once I found it cracked I looked at the mfgs website and they had changed the design of the bracket. Maybe others had issues with it as well. I also...
  22. R

RockRangerII Refresh

I extended my sliders 4 inches closer to the rear tires. These sliders were one of the first things I built on this back when it was still ttb and on 31s. I also moved the rear support for the slider to tie into the side of my custom spring hanger. By extending the sliders and moving the...
  23. R

RockRangerII Refresh

Somehow all the bolts holding it on were loose. I don't know if I forgot to tighten them or if they worked looose themselves. The passenger side was fine and tight but the driverside was the damaged side. They had maybe 500 miles on them sense I had them off last. To install the upper shock...
  24. R

RockRangerII Refresh

Here is also a video I made of where I redid the front suspension. After 10 ish years of running the front suspension with limit straps I started having issues with the front springs coming out when I was on the Dusy Ershim trail. When I took it apart I found a coil bucket loose and the frame...
  25. R

RockRangerII Refresh

I moved the shocks that way maybe a year ago. @Stic-o got me the hookup on some Bilsteins all the way around. What fixed most axle wrap issues was when I went did my new spring hangers and removed the factory block. I was running FR36 Skyjacker springs till I snapped one in half on the...
Back