Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. P

ABS light

On my 2002, the front right cable for the ABS sensor broke at the fitting that secures it to the suspension. That's why my light is on.
  2. P

02 Explorer XLS

Have your electrical system checked too (battery/alternator). My truck did what you described just before the alternator went toast.
  3. P

02 Ford Explorer XLS 4X4 87k Rear End Noise

I have the same noise and operating condition as you described. Been there for the last ten months. I have not changed/repalced anything. Noise is annoying but so far nothing bad has happened.
  4. P

Battery light won't go off

Okay, my thought is a long shot, but a similar thing happened to my '02. I suspect the battery got drained while at the shop. and the alternator is having a hard time charging a compromised battery. I wound up having a new battey and a new (remanufactured) alternator installed.
  5. P

Oil Milkshake?

short duration trips will cause this too. my wife's '00 taurus has had it since new, except when I drive the car on my longer commute and the condensation has enough time to burn off.
  6. P

Limited slip working properly?

I had LS diff in my Cherokee, to check it: raise the rear wheels off of the ground, tranny in N, spin one wheel forward, it should be difficult and the other tire should move forward also. In an open diff, as one tire spins forward, the other spins backwards. For the brake coaxing to work...
  7. P

TSB's Does anyone have these?????

Some public libraries as free full access to AllData, which will go into the diagnosis and steps to correct for a given TSB.
  8. P

Service Engine light on, then broke down!

Just my $.02: could be the alternator. A bad one will throw all of the gages loopy. Happened to my 2002 ex.
  9. P

PRNDL Stuck

Try turning the steering wheel. Sometimes when it is turned over at lock it will prevent the shifter from moving.
  10. P

Looking at a 2002

You absolutely did the right thing. 30 days after I bought my 2002 (w/ 37k miles) the alternator crapped out. A few months later the ABS light came on (and despite my efforts has stayed on). And I also have the airbag light flashing. I traded in a '99 jeep cherokee that had no problems at...
  11. P

Foamy oil filler cap.

Yes, it is due to the short trips since the engine does not stay at operating temperature for 'long enough'. I would politely ignore the quick lube places that recommend pricey flushes or work related to this issue. The vehicle can operate like this for years; just adhere to the severe maint...
  12. P

Airbag light is on

Ok, the fix by the dealer was under warranty. But if yours is an '02, it's out of warranty. Is there a separate warranty period for airbag/passenger restraint systems? Curious because my airbag light (LFC 34) is on, and it's an '02.
  13. P

Odd ?? 02-05

They don't call the auto manufacturing a "one-cent business" for nothing.
  14. P

Airbag light is on

I can give you a heads up that the very useful airbag code list may be off by one or two digits for our Explorers. I have 34 code come up a few times, I have unplugged and then replugged the pass side connection under the seat and the light has gone off. The connection under the seat is very...
  15. P

alternator died on me last night

xvprflyboivx, You are lucky. My '02, with 36k miles, had the same thing happen. I too was on the road a long way from home. I got the truck to a dealership in Milwaukee and got a new batty, and a refurb alt for $600.
  16. P

ABS Light and Cruise Control Question

I got my rear wheel speed sensor at Napa. I don't remember their p/n. But the Partstrain p/n isN6030264174DEL. Simple swap to do, dust off the top of the diff, raise the rear of the truck slightly and do the swap.
  17. P

No, I replaced the rear speed and still have the ABS light on. The local Ford dealer said it would $100+ just to have me bring in the truck and them to scan it. j4s0ni2ice: Where did you get it scanned at?
  18. P

The light means the ABS has a malfunction somewhere and it will not activate the pump. You still have your normal brakes, only the ABS pump will not kick on. A serious brake problem is when the Brake light illuminates. BTW: I'm picking up a rear speed sensor later today in hopes that it...
  19. P

Subject Vehicle: 2002 XLT, 4WD, 37k miles Problem: ABS light came on, but the cruise control still works, so does 4WD. Question: If the rear speed sensor is at fault, the cruise control will not work either. Is this a solid fact for the 2002 MY? If it is, then I may be screwed and have to...
  20. P

2002 Explorer WORST YEAR???

I have a 2002 xlt, 37k miles. ABS light went on a couple of months ago (and is still on). When I get to a heated garage, I'll check the rear speed sensor, then there's a module near the brake fluid resevoir, then there is the aforementioned under-seat module.
  21. P

02 XLT problems

Get to a Sears and have the battery and alternator checked.
  22. P

what to look for in buyying a 2002 ford explorer?

For datallguy1313: I just got a 2002, 35k miles, $14500; runs very good, fuel economy is the same as stated on the sticker. It has been mentioned here before that the shifter seems to 'stop' before getting all the way into park and mine has the same situation. Check the battery and alternator...
  23. P

Tail light replacement

The owners manual describes how to replace the tail light bulb and thus how to remove the lens cover.
  24. P

Honest opinions of your Explorers?

Ditto. I have a '02 XLT V6 with only 33k miles and my ABS light just went on. The alternator also crapped out last October. But I will abstain from making a recommendation for either the ex or pilot.
  25. P

Why does engine shut off?

My '02 did a similar thing, it was the alternator.
Back