Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. W

Steering Column Rebuild

Thanks!
  2. W

Steering Column Rebuild

I am having issues with my steering column, something is binding when I turn the wheel and the ignition key is not returning to run from the start position. I replaced the lock cylinder and still have the same issue with the key. What I am wondering is are there any rebuild kits available for...
  3. W

95 Transfer Case BW4405 Question

Thanks Thanks guys. I was worried that maybe the Tcase was bad as I was unable to shift into 4wheel drive. Pat
  4. W

95 Transfer Case BW4405 Question

I am unable to shift into 4 wheel drive. I pulled the transfer case ( I am also replacing the transmission) and tried to manually turn the shift lever using a pair of vice grips. I can not get the thing to shift into high or low. Will I feel it click or lock into 4wd? The shaft turns really easy...
  5. W

Flex Nuts

What is the size of the flex nuts on a 95 4R44E? Is there any special trick to getting at them through the starter hole? IE flex head ratchet or some other tool combination? Thank you Pat
  6. W

How many miles on your 2ND GEN EX?

347XXX and still going I have 347XXX on her and she is still motoring on. The transmission finally died and I am changing that out. Engine is original except for plugs and some sensors. Change oil every 3-5 K (I try for 3 but sometimes...) Replaced a/c compressor at 65K, brakes, rotors other...
  7. W

I can see the damn bolt but..

How do you get the top bolt off the starter motor? I can see it but don't have a wrench long enough to reach it and there is no room to get a ratchet and socket on it. Talk about a pain in the rear end. 1995 Ford Explorer stock Pat:mad:
  8. W

HELP! Steering issue

Steering shaft I did, it seemed to turn easily enough. I got the foaming out but the new pump still whines way to much for my liking. I jacked the front wheels off the ground and tried the sterring, still is not right. What else in the steering is there to replace? My ball joints are fairly...
  9. W

HELP! Steering issue

I'm scratching my head on this. I was having binding issues when I went to turn the wheel. I replaced the rack and pinion, new power steering pump, new ps lines. I replaced the intermediate steering shaft. Same issue still remains. The power steering comes and goes and the pump is whining like...
  10. W

Steering Intermediate Shaft Question?

I did some more research, the 95-97 use the same part. I found that out the hard way, I pulled one off a 98 and it did not fit my 95. So now I have a very nice one with the boots intact that I can't use so I will ebay it I guess. The parts that albi1cnobi1 listed won't work for me as they are...
  11. W

I think the 2nd generation 95-2001 are the same. Note I said THINK! Mine is binding. It binds than releases, makes driving it kind of a challange. Pat
  12. W

Intermediate shaft Ford no longer carrys the part. I have been told that 95-2001 use the same part. I am seeking clarification on that. I know that the Ranger, Aerostar and Explorer have a lot of common parts. I found 3 97 Explorers that have the shaft in place. I started pulling parts from one...
  13. W

Parts Interchangeability

Are the intermediate steering shafts the same on a 1995-1997 explorer? My 95 is binding like crazy and I have to replace it. It is obsolete according to Ford and I have been to all the auto yards but have had no luck finding a 95 part. I did locate 3 97's today. What a ***** to get at them. So...
  14. W

Replacing 95 Tranny with a newer heaver duty

My 95 tranny is now slowly dying with 335k miles on it. I am thinking that maybe I could put a 97 to 2000 5 speed heaver duty tranny in it. Any thoughts? Where would I go if I just rebuilt the existing tranny and replaced the parts with heavy duty componets? Thanks Pat :us:
  15. W

Transmission life span

I've got 304k on my 95 and no real problems. I've changed fluid and filter 3 or 4 times.
  16. W

What's wrong? (maybe the 02 sensor?)

If you run a diag on it, if it is the o2 sensor it will say so. The left one is easy to change out, the right one is easy if you have skinny 3 foot long arms. You can see it but it is kind of hard to replace unless you remove stuff. FWIW
Back