Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. J

My door doesn't close. The latch is stuck in the closed position.

This is exactly what I have done before, get a screw drive on the latch portion put a little pressure and pull the handle should open right up and be able to close properly.
  2. J

How to: 5R55W transmission servo piston removal

Got these in the mail either from Friday or yesterday when I picked it up last night. They look great, OE part modified very prefessionally.
  3. J

NOT a snow day for my X

My wife drives the explorer but she didn't go in to work today because our daughter is sick. Anywhere we decide to go today would likely be in the S4, 340hp, snow tires and quattro can go pretty much anywhere.
  4. J

Oh Noes! (Transmission)

I ordered a set. I got the shipping announcment yesterday. Not sure when I will try to install them, depends if I decide to try to do it in the heated bay on the lift at my office or do it on the garage floor in the cold of Michigan.
  5. J

Well I ordered a set, we'll see how this goes. It woudl be ncie to not have to pull the trans and rebuild the whole thing.
  6. J

Has anyone tried this guys fix? http://www.fordservoboretransmissionfixsolution.com A pretty big price bump from the stockers but wondering if it is worth it.
  7. J

Oh Noes! (Transmission)

Problem is back. After the fluid swap early last year we stopped getting the Check Transmission and O/D Off lights but they have started coming back and more regularly I guess. Looking around I am still hearing that the servo bores issue, solenoid pack and possibly valve body are the common...
  8. J

3rd gen Explorer Blend Door Actuator Replacement

I just used this how to and it worked great. Maybe an 45 minutes -1 hour start to finish if I hadn't also been doing some other work at the same time and taking my time for a brew ever so often. The small gear on the smaller of the two black gears was bad. If anyone needs the big black gear...
  9. J

2005 XLT 4.0 with 40k miles for $12k -- deal or no deal? Or get a Grand Cherokee?

Hmm seems a little high to me. I bought my 2004 XLT (leather, remote start, sunroof, basically all the XLT options aside from 3rd row seat) with like 30k 2.5 years ago form $12,500. Now at 70k it is doing great (sell you this one for $10k). Had a little scare with the trans but a nice cleaning...
  10. J

Oh Noes! (Transmission)

Thanks for the details. I will hit him up if it comes to that, which I sure hope it doesn't. I would rather give them $1.6k with a warranty than the junk yard anything with no promises. I am going to do the fluid Saturday morning before taking off for a buddies bachelor party in canada and...
  11. J

Oh Noes! (Transmission)

Hmm lifetime warranty eh? I might have to check them out, if things don't turn positive after some minor work. I live right near telegraph and Maple in Bloomfield so R.O. is close enough. I could always get the wife to drive my Audi and I could take the cougar out for a week or two if this does...
  12. J

Oh Noes! (Transmission)

Thanks for the help guys. I will be checking things out this weekend, hopefully I can get it fixed up enough to keep ticking another 70k So if I am going to be doing component replacement (sol block etc) should I gof ro the full fluid flush first then I should have fresh fluid and can just...
  13. J

Oh Noes! (Transmission)

Thanks for the ideas. I will look into the valve body. I should be fine to do most any work myself ( a few engine swaps/rebuilds and a mechanical engineering degree and 1/2). I will look into the valve body rebuild/sol. valve change. Might start with a fluid flush and go from there once I know...
  14. J

Oh Noes! (Transmission)

The wife came home telling me the Service Transmission light and O/D off light came on today on her way to work. Didn't come on when she came home. I told her to get it serviced 6 months ago but with a brand new baby she didn't find the time. The Ex (2004 4.0l) has just under 70k on it right...
  15. J

2004 Explorer 4 X 8 of plywood fit?

Ya, I will have to consider grabbing the trialer. But then I either need a hitch to put in the reciever or to wait till my buddy gets back with his Jeep to use the trailer with that. I won't be doing the roof thing. 20sheets of 1/2 inch OSB si not exactly something I watn to toss on the roof...
  16. J

Thanks Jad, not exactly the answer I was looking for but maybe I will just call my friedn and grab his trailer for the afternoon tomorrow or something.
  17. J

I was just assumign someone around here has hauled some plywood before. I will pull measurements when I get home tonight and see. I have a trailer I could use if needed but would prefer to avoid that since it is at my friends and he is out of town until next week. I know my old spot didn't...
  18. J

I am working on accumulating supplies to redo my roof this summer. There is someone semi locally (25 minutes) with a good amount of OSB that he is looking to ditch cheap. I am just wondering will a 4x8 of plywood fit in my explorer with the seats down?
  19. J

got my 06+ taillights!! need option...

leave them the way they are. They look much better already than stock does.
  20. J

saw this on the news today ..damm methers

I saw something on that the other day. In my home town (parents still live there I don't) about 4 years ago when I was living at home for a summer during college there was a problem with someone using a "portable" plasma cutter (running off juice from a car I believe was what was happening)...
  21. J

05 Tail lights

Are you talking visible part of the body trimming or just behind the light a little needs to be trimmed out?
  22. J

Transmission fluid/filter changed!

Spring I will be out doing this on the wifes new explorer. We just bought it with 42k miles. I want to keep it for her until about 100k and then have it around for those really bad winter days and an extra car for me after that for a long time. With those plans I figure all fluids (front and...
  23. J

05 Tail lights

I have wondered that as well. I like the 06 tails better than the ones on my wifes ex.
  24. J

E-85

I bought my wife her new explorer right after christmas. She gets between 15-18 with mostly city driving on gas and the one tank of E85 we have used so far was about 12 so there is a drop in fuel economy. The E-85 if about 50-60 cents cheaper the unleaded here. I also like that the money isn't...
  25. J

Remote Start Triggers Alarm After 20 mins

You need it to run for more than 20 minutes before you get into the car? We have that say system in the explorer I jut bought my wife it is a little strange. If you start it with the remote once and then accidentially try again the alarm goes off. I have never needed it to run more than 5...
Back