Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. V

Occasional "lurch" at highway speed

For those of you wondering how control trac works, I dug out my shop manual CD. Here is the description: The Control-Trac transfer case uses an electromechanical clutch assembly to control torque to the front wheels. In the Auto mode, while at rest and under cruising conditions, the GEM...
  2. V

I just did another search. I found a couple of references that said dirty t-case fluid might be the cause. It's been a loooong time since my t-case fluid has been changed, so I think that's going to be my next step.
  3. V

LOL at the dog analogy....pretty accurate though!! How often are you experiencing the hesitation? I assume you're talking about something out of alignment/wearing out in the transfer case? I thought the transfer case was engaged electrically. In the other threads I searched, the 4x4 control...
  4. V

Ok. I drove the the truck for another couple of hours on the highway again today. The truck was perfect! No hestitation or lurches. Just smooth and steady. I was thinking about the possibility of the TCC going bad. Would I not have seen the RPM's rapidly rise momentarily if it was cutting...
  5. V

The filter/fluid (mercon V) along with the new EPC solenoid, separator plate, etc were all replaced last fall. I did not install the transgo shift kit or sonnex boost valve.....I just stuck with the upgraded Ford parts. No, I don't do any towing or offroading. That does bring up one point...
  6. V

Dang! Too bad I didn't replace it when I had the pan and valve body off last fall!!! I don't actually do much highway driving, mostly city, so I'll probably hold off replacing it for a while.
  7. V

What would a cycling TCC feel like?
  8. V

Nope no flare issues. I did the valve body rebuild last fall. I have 146,000km (roughly 90,000 miles). I have only noticed it at steady highway speeds (65 mph). It only happens VERY occasionally. It MIGHT have occured when I momentarily let up on the gas, but I can't be sure. It happens so...
  9. V

For the last couple of months when I've had my truck out on the highway at cruising speed, I've noticed a very occasional "jerk". Almost like the engine cuts out for 1/10 of a second. I've also only noticed this in cold weather (around -10C and colder). At those speeds, the truck is in 4x4...
  10. V

5R55e Valve body gasket

Udate! First off, the gaskets are bonded to the separator plate. Next, some background. My truck has 140000 km on it. I have changed the transmission fluid every 2-3 years in the past. For the last six months or so, my transmission had been shifting "funny". The shifts were often soft...
  11. V

5R55e Valve body gasket

Next week I'm planning on doing the valve body rebuild on my explorer. I've got all of the recommended parts on order. One thing that I couldn't find in the 5r55e rebuild diary is, do I need to order new valve body gaskets? Or do they come with the Ford TSB kit or the new separator plate...
  12. V

5th shock

I too replaced mine and noticed a nice improvement in ride. For the people who tossed theirs and it made no difference, the shock was probably already worn out, so of course you wouldn't notice a difference.
  13. V

Solved Transmission Band Adjustment Specification Chart

Thanks. The search function didn't turn up the symptoms or when you should adjust the bands. My truck occasionally has a very slight hesitation under load (going uphill or driving at highway speeds etc.). Truck has 138000 KM on it. Recent tuneup (plugs, cleaned MAF, new thermostat...
  14. V

Solved Transmission Band Adjustment Specification Chart

This may be a dumb question, but how do you know when it's time to make a band adjustment? What symptoms would you feel? Does the transmission simply start to slip a bit? Thanks
  15. V

New dipstick markings wrong? 2000 4.0 SOHC

That is the obvious work around. But I'd rather just have the proper dipstick in the first place. Anyone else?
  16. V

New dipstick markings wrong? 2000 4.0 SOHC

Hi Everyone, Last spring when I was changing the spark plugs, I broke the plastic handle off my engine dipstick. (changing #5 plug, wrench slipped, S#*t!, byebye plastic handle! LOL) So I just got around to ordering up the new dipstick last week from Ford. The new one arrives and I...
  17. V

Driving without Fenderwall Lining?

As long as you're OK with rocks flying up from your tires and denting your fenders from the inside out.......then no..... No Problem! ;)
  18. V

Overheating '99 SOHC

^^^ Yup. Change your thermostat. It's cheap and easy to do. I had very similar symptoms last month. A new thrermostat made everything go back to normal.
  19. V

$500+ to fix 00M12??

My truck was running like complete crap until it warmed up when the outside temp was below freezing. It was almost stalling. I did a search on "rough cold starts" and the first 5 hits that came up were on the 00m12 kit. The new seals totally fixed my cold start problem. My cam tensioner...
  20. V

$500+ to fix 00M12??

Definitely grab a Haynes manual. Here's the link that describes the procedure; http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61152&page=2&pp=20 There are a number of vacuum lines to disconnect. Just go slow, mark them/take pictures if you think you might forget what goes where...
  21. V

$500+ to fix 00M12??

If you're at all mechanically inclined, and it sounds like you are since you've worked on 5.0's, you should do it yourself. I did the 00m12 kit last December in under 4 hours hours. That included a lunch break and a quick trip to Canadian Tire to grab a big mother wrench to loosen the...
  22. V

2002 EB V8 towing question

I can't add anything to the shifting problem. Maybe call a couple of independant tranny shops to get their opinion? With regards to the weight. I've been researching this quite a bit lately as I'm looking at upgrading to a Gen III Explorer V8. From what I've read, comparing the towing...
  23. V

Torsion Bars?

Double check your sway bar end links. Put a wrench on them and see if you can tighten them up any more. They aren't tight until you bottom out the threads and you can't turn the wrench anymore. It doesn't take much slack to make an obvious clunk. I recently had an occasional clunk from the...
  24. V

Need info on the 5th shock

Monroe Part# SC2958 http://www.monroe.com/catalog_lookup/E_Catalog/catalog.aspx?sec=ocl&page=ocl_selector&VG=1&MK=70&MDL=821&YR=2000&LST=3048 It's listed under the "steering stabilizer" heading at all of the parts departments. Once you look under that heading on their parts computer, the...
  25. V

throttle body spacer

Popular Mechanics did a test on these devices; http://www.popularmechanics.com/automotive/new_cars_trucks/1802932.html Here's a quote from that article (the bottom of page 2); In other words, a complete waste of money.
Back