Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. R

Shackle time

Alright, well I ordered my warrior shackles part number WAR-153 and they should be here in about a week and a half. I just got new rims and tires, 245/75/16 BFG Rugged Trails with 16' Rims off of a 1999 Ranger XLT. NOW I was wondering if I should go the full 2' inches, if I will have a problem...
  2. R

Got new rims and tires.

I am also worried about another issue which is the bronzing of them, I tire cleaned the wheels and tires and the rubber came out clean and great, the wheels became cleaner but I think after lots of mileage, break dust and neglect I need something stronger. I was told there is a kind of acid that...
  3. R

Got new rims and tires.

They fit fine, I wonder if I need an alignment though. I let go of the wheel and it drives straight so I don't think so but I don't want to ruin my tires. What are these equivilant to now between the increase in tire size and wheel size? They look like 31's I'd say. Should I TT and Shackle now?
  4. R

Got new rims and tires.

Ok well the debate for tires is now over. I have a roomate who has a 1999 Ford Ranger XLT 4wd. He has 245/75/16 BFG Rugged Trail tires with a good 20-30k left on them and I have 235/75/15 BFG Long Trails on my 1999 Explorer XLT 4wd. WELL I talked to him jokingly about swapping them out, I wanted...
  5. R

Tire help

I think I am going to get some 31x10.5x15 Rugged Trails, there cheaper and they look pretty sweet so unless someone tells me there pretty useless tires I think I will just go with that.
  6. R

Transmission help!?

So I may not have to replace it to fix it? I saw the sticky thread I am just wondering if this is a good fix though... Should I print this page off and show it to my mechanic because I sure as hell am not inclined enough to pull this **** off myself. How much is something like this?
  7. R

Transmission help!?

I have a 1999 Ford Explorer XLT 4wd, auto... WELL, I have been told that I need a new transmission within the next year or so, between $1,500-$1,800 I guess. I am having no problems besides 3rd gear I think, it hesitates to downshift or it will hesitate to engage into third and kind of bump a...
  8. R

Tire help

Will the 31's still be alright even on stock lift? or are they going to hinder me even more if I got into mud because there is not much clearance because of stock lift and the bigger tire. I heard mud just gets all bound up and it makes the snow and mud capability worse.
  9. R

Tire help

Alright I am in sort of a bind. Initially I was going to TT/Shackle my 1999 XLT 4wd however now I am thinking it may not be the right spot for the money. I am getting my tax return back and debating what to do with it. I have about $1000 on a CC and I owe about $800 on my Dell account still... I...
  10. R

1999 Xlt Vs...

I have a 1999 XLT 4wd 4.0 SOHC, as soon as Doug Studdard gets back I will be ordering bamachip and between now and summer when Epping opens up I plan on an intake and possibly a catback... I was wondering about my truck (spare tire taken out and damn near an empty tank)... out of the following...
  11. R

Lowering 1999 Explorer XLT

Well see, I was going to lower it if it wasnt going to cost much, as if I was lifting it... shackles, $100 bucks and thats it. I am not autocrossing this so I don't plan on putting lots of cash into a suspension set up I was just wondering if a drop would help me the slightest bit at the track I...
  12. R

How to: Lower your explorer (pics)

What parts will I need to do this? Could I get some part numbers and a list of all the neccessary tools etc etc. I have a 1999 XLT 4dr. Do you think I should bother lowering it with stock rims? Or am I begging to look retarted?
  13. R

Lowering 1999 Explorer XLT

I have a 1999 XLT 4wd 4dr 4.0 SOHC with soon to be bamachip. I was wondering if just like TT/Shackles for a lift, if I could do the same for lowering... also would this help me much at the track or are the aerodynamic benefits too minimal to fathom?
  14. R

What can I run with?

That is what I wish I knew, I want to be able to have the broadest powerband setting so it isn't too low end but not too high end because no matter where the power is, if it isn't spread throughout I will either get reeled in from the top end, or taken in the low. No matter what the power will...
  15. R

What can I run with?

Why are the 5.0 V8's so much faster than 4.0 SOHC they only make a rated 5hp more... and why would a modded 4.0 SOHC even have to worry about it? I live in Maine and there is hardly any 2wd SUV's. I just want to be able to shut my friend up and actually have some respectable power, for what my...
  16. R

What can I run with?

Well I was just wondering if my 4.0 SOHC, with bamachip, intake and exhaust could take my friends 2006 Tundra Extended cab because he is talking alot of smack, as well as friends with stock 4.8L and 5.3L Silverados...
  17. R

Where do I find this exhaust!

So buy the Flowmaster 50 series muffler from summit and then have them do the piping, tell them 2.5'? Will it sound different than if I bought the kit or is there really only one way to do it? I just wanted a kit so I could pay, ship and bolt on. Is this going to give me any hp gain or only if I...
  18. R

Where do I find this exhaust!

I am looking for a Flowmaster 50 series catback system for my 4.0 SOHC, I can't find it anywhere! Can someone give me some links or phone numbers on how to get it and how much it is. One more question I had was what kind of WHP gains could I expect from this system? I plan on getting bamachip...
  19. R

What can I run with?

I was wondering with a lowered TT/Shackles, Bamachip, Intake and 2.5' catback... what would I be able to run with as far as other trucks or SUVs? I know the SCT Xcaliber is good for almost 20rwhp and 20ft lbs but what about intake and a catback? I would just like to know what trucks or SUV's I...
  20. R

What will a power programmer really do for me?

Well I have money for an intake and the bamachip but not the exhaust, I don't have the green for a full exhaust with headers and I'm sure that a catback won't be anything but just as restrictive, is the ECU mod really that much or a performance difference? I wonder what setting I should chose...
  21. R

I checked out the site and it looks from 4.0 SOHC dyno sheets that stock form they make about 180whp and 200ft lbs... after SCT Xcaliber it ended up being 197.23 whp and 218.00 ft lbs... that is pretty significant for $325 dollars but I would like to know what additional power an intake will...
  22. R

I am in a dilemma as of the moment on what I should do with my explorer. It is a 1999 XLT 4dr 4wd in charcole with 105,000 miles. I have the 4.0 SOHC, I just installed my smoked tail lights, my windows are tinted 20% and I have a billet grill with bumper grill insert as well on the way. I was...
  23. R

Offroad tire sizing with TT and Shackles?

20+ MPG! HAH I only get 16-17 mpg stock with 4.0 SOHC.
  24. R

Offroad tire sizing with TT and Shackles?

Is the torsion twist hard to do? I heard the shackles are going to be the hard part because you have to free up the bolts that have been sitting for 100k but I just got brand new leaf springs so they should be easy, I just wish I knew where or how to make sure my truck is evened and leveled out...
  25. R

Offroading, lift and tire question. HELP?

One important question, when going about new tires and this lift... is it alright to do the TT/Shackle with my stock tires still on and then drive to get the BFG A/T's installed? I know it is only about a 2' lift but the stockers I have now are 235/75/15's a small tire compared to 31' AT's.
Back