Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. D

Trans oil change

There is no dipstick on the 5R55X transmissions. They are sealed. hence the cleanliness of the fluid when changing. You have to drop the pan to change the oil.
  2. D

front end vibration/rumble

Get your front bearings changed. Jack up the car and see which wheel has play in it. The garage can find it easy. You can drive 10k miles on a bad bearing, but it may eat up your spindle, and then you're in big bucks. Pay the $300.00 and get it changed, unless you have the tools and know how. I...
  3. D

Flashing O/D followed by Servcie Engine Soon light then NO Warning lights

I believe you'll find that code is the solenoid block. If the tranny didn't slip or not shift into OD, then I don't think it is the OD servo. Did the car ever hesitate when backing up? How about when you shifted from rev to D, did it ever hesitate and then go into gear? D
  4. D

Trans oil change

The transmission pump will not "suck" up any oil into the tranny. I would take it to Ford and flush it, with a filter change. I think you all are being paranoid, especially with the fluid showing no sign of overheating and still smells OK. I just traded in an XT that had the 5R55W in it and had...
  5. D

Anybody yet at 200,000 miles

I traded my 02 XT in at 286,108 miles for a 2012 F-150 Screw. The dealer gave me $700.00 for it. The exploder was starting to lose a lot of little things. The vents wouldn't work unless you parked up hill/down hill/hit the brakes and hit the fan control or speed up and hit fan control depending...
  6. D

servo-bore fix, 5r55w

Mine was broken the same way. I did the o'ring fix and it's working fine now. I did not see or feel any wear in the bore. I took the new servo piston without the o'rings on it and placed it in the bore and tried moving up and down (where the wear happens). I got absolutely no movement...
  7. D

high miles

I think it's better to get a reman engine and put in. Get a good one with a known company (Jasper, etc.). They should all have the bug fixes already done. For your info, I have the same car with 262k miles and original tranny and engine. They will last if you take care of it. Do the services...
  8. D

Solenoid Block versus Servo Bore Problem - 2005 w/5R55S Tranny

Thanks for the feedback. After seeing the rolled up attempt at beveling for the servo 0'ring fix, I think I would find another local mechanic. I just did the servo fix with the car up on stands. Worked out well, but I did check the hole and bevel before inserting the pin. Flush or change, I...
  9. D

The dreaded transmission topic

Your call, but the solenoid block is easy to fix. Are there any codes set? Autozone sells a code reader for cheap, that works well. You can reset the codes also. Actron Auto Scanner. D
  10. D

Who knows whether having it overfull hurt or not. It certainly didn't help. The solenoid issue is just what you are describing. It works fine when cold (may clunk a little) but doesn't work at all or slips bad when warm. It's not as bad with synthetic fluid because the vi is higher with...
  11. D

It sounds to me like yu have the solenoid issue George. that is the drive-reverse issue. Tightening the bands will do no good if you have no pressure to activate the servos to start with. D
  12. D

Replaced Driver Side Front Wheel Hub, Still Hear Noise, HELP

In 262K miles, I've had 9 wheel bearings put in my '02 Explorer. I've had various and sundry noises or symptoms. I can tell you that you can drive thousands of miles with a bad one, but it will cup the front tires if it's on the front, and make horrendous noises if it's on the back. I have also...
  13. D

Solenoid Block versus Servo Bore Problem - 2005 w/5R55S Tranny

You can be losing fluid pressure anywhere in the circuit and have a 775 code set (low pressure sol B). I had the code because of a broken OD servo. Put the o'ring repair in and all is fine once again. No codes. Had nothing to do with solenoid block, had to do with the press switch B not seeing...
  14. D

Slow shifts out of first, flashing OD light

One other possibility is the OD servo worn out. Don't know about your year. Worth using as search word and checking out. I just did my 02 Explorer and fixed mine. The 5R55W tranny uses the OD band when taking off. If the band doesn't tighten (servo doesn't provide pressure) then there is a slip...
  15. D

HELP! No heat/ Overheat

If the engine overheated, then it is either your water pump or the thermostat. I don't know of what else could go wrong that would cause your engine to overheat. D
  16. D

Transmission Issues in a 2002 Ford Explorer

New valve body will take care of the hesitation from D-R more than likely. You should read through some of the stickys above to find out more about it. Braking issue I don't know about, have never had that particular problem. D
  17. D

Just bought an 02', What to look for? What to check?

I own an 02 with the 4.0 and have 262K miles on mine. All original and have ran Amsoil all the way through it since 24k - 30k miles. Flush the tranny on a regular basis (I do mine every 50k with filter every 100k) and keep the diifs changed when required by the book. I have had 9 wheel bearings...
  18. D

Can't fill gas tank

It didn't work. The plug is tapered, and has a spring behind it. I could shove it back about 2" or 3" OK. There was nothing in the hose from the fill hole to the tank either. I guess I'm looking for the vent now. Anyone know where it is located? D
  19. D

2005 reverse hesitation

You've gotten twice the milage most have without having the OEM valve bank go out. That, along with wheel bearings are the two worst problems you'll have if you take care of it right. THe wheel bearings are an ongoing thing, no matter who you have put them in. The valve block replacement is a...
  20. D

How many miles on original 3rd Gen Tranny?

It is mostly highway miles. However, I do tow a couple trailers with it hauling fence posts and the like for the farm here. I tow a Ven Trac tractor around to the church for work sometimes (only 15 miles but hilly). I am a small business owner (of which I am the chief cook and bottle washer)...
  21. D

2005 reverse hesitation

In the 02's and 03's that was typical valve body problem. The body is easy to replace. You can pick one up for a couple hundred dollars. D
  22. D

How many miles on original 3rd Gen Tranny?

Sorry Provokr, You'll have to make a few more trips.;):D I have ran Amsoil every where in the car since 60k ( I did a valve block replacement then) and I now flush every 60k. Filter change every 2nd flush. Have flare between 1st and second just started Saturday. I'm going to do the OD servo...
  23. D

Transmission code scan

I've got a 2002 with 261k on it. Original tranny and engine. I had to replace the valve body (did it myself) at around 60k. But other than that, have not anything other than flush every 60K (I use Amsoil in everything) and replace filter every 2nd flush. These trannys are pretty well bullet...
  24. D

Can't fill gas tank

I've used seafoam for quite some time. Hasn't helped. I'm going to drop the hose off of it and feel around down in the tank to see. Still having the issue. It went away for three fill ups, but is back again. Gas drips out of the rubber boot that is halfway down the fill tube. Don't know what...
  25. D

Can't fill gas tank

Thanks XLT03. :thumbsup: I'm thinking along those lines too. I have read somewhere that when you top off the tank (which I do) and gas gets in the vapour canister it turns whatever is in there hard or something. Or maybe I'm wishing:p: I will get out my CD and see where the raqscal is.:) D
Back