Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. J

Replaced O ring in T case, now no reverse???

I know right! I scheduled an appointment at the transmission shop for tomorrow. I found out today too that my transmission was leaking on the side of the pan. Looks like a gasket problem or the previous mechanic didn't seal it tight enough when they checked it out. They said it's a reverse band...
  2. J

I just bought some new BFG Mud-terrains KM2's too about a month ago so I'm really leaning towards to fixing my truck. Besides, I can't really afford a new car or monthly payments right now lol!
  3. J

Thanks for the response dexploder! I'm like whining here replying to my own posts lol! I just got my truck from the shop. Good news is that they replaced the seal on my transfer case that was leaking and free of charge. Bad news is that they don't specialize in transmission so they referred me...
  4. J

I've been reading a lot of threads with "no reverse issue" and most of them hear a loud bang or thud right before ruining their transmission. I never heard a loud bang or thud upon shifting from drive to reverse when i tried to back up to my driveway. FYI, I always make a full stop when shifting...
  5. J

Yup, I'm pretty sure that is a transfer case leak right there. Right above the fill plug and underneath the rear drive shaft. Looks like it wasn't the O ring that was leaking.
  6. J

So, I had the O ring in my transfer case replaced this morning cause it was leaking. I have a 98 4.0 SOHC 4X4 by the way. Picked it up at the shop this afternoon and as I got home, tried backing up in the driveway and nothing. It seemed like it was engaging with that little thud that you hear...
  7. J

Huge Before and After pics, Blacked out Rims, Lights, Grill

Paint front doors and roof white :D j/k!
  8. J

2in lift

140,000 on mine and kickin'! Just make sure you change oil on a regular basis! Mobil1 on mine. I pretty much have the same set up except for 30 BFG MT's on mine. :)
  9. J

Head gasket replacement question

How much would it cost for replacing the head gasket? My coolant is leaking on the right side of the head gasket. I went to one car shop and they charged me $2,000 for labor at $70/hour. It's in another shop now and I'm waiting for them to call me. I'm not a happy camper right now :(
  10. J

Los Angeles - Dallas

Actually it's "Hey Y'all!" :D I used the same BFG MTs. I noticed my right rear tire worn out more but even though. Must be the weight of the gas tank. I'll switch the right rear with the left rear to even them out. All 3 tires are still ok. Didn't even notice any wear but I'm sure I did a little.
  11. J

Los Angeles - Dallas

nope lol!
  12. J

Los Angeles - Dallas

I'm in Dallas now. 1,450 miles total, spent about close to $300 on gas. Price varied from $3.50 - $5.00 a gallon. Did an average and it was around $4 a gallon. My X did pretty good I guess..... 19.5 miles to a gallon. Did an average speed of 70-75 mph. :D
  13. J

Best battery for 98 Explorer 4.0

I got the Bosch battery from Pep Boys for $99 :D
  14. J

Best battery for 98 Explorer 4.0

So my battery is about to die..... what is the best battery for a 98 Explorer 4.0 SOHC 4X4? Should I get one from Ford or after market batteries are better like Die Hard or whatever from Pep Boys or Sears or Autozone?
  15. J

Los Angeles - Dallas

LOL! Thanks for the reply guys! :thumbsup:
  16. J

Los Angeles - Dallas

So I'll be driving to LA to Dallas some time soon. Are mud-terrains ok for long driving? I'll be driving approx. 1,450 miles. I got 30's on stock 15's.
  17. J

Need Help!!! 3rd Cylinder Misfiring

Is this the same for my 98 4.0 SOHC? I'm about to replace my spark plug cables. Misfiring on 1st and 4th based on the scan. I already replaced all 6 spark plugs by the way.
  18. J

The End Of The Explorer!!!!oh No!!

Yeah, I saw the Ford Flex at the OC Auto Show in Anaheim. Here are some pics of the Flex in the flesh lol!
  19. J

Need Help!!! 3rd Cylinder Misfiring

How about the firing sequence for a 98 explorer xlt 4.0 sohc V6? Is it the same? Mine's misfiring on the 1st and 4th.
  20. J

1998 Ford Explorer V6 SOHC That Idles Rough Only Part of the Time

Have you ever tried replacing your TPS (Throttle Positioning Sensor)? $20 at Auto Zone Same thing happened to mine about 2 years ago. The check engine light never lit up but eventually did after 6 months. I replaced the TPS and idle was perfect. Even gear shifting will be smooth as a Lexus. :D
  21. J

Show off your exhaust!

Nice truck! What size are your tires?
  22. J

Show Off Your MOUNTY!

oh, no, my X's levelled. it's the ground that's not levelled. right side by the curb is higher. i finally got rid of my running boards this afternoon. i'll take some pics tomorrow.
  23. J

Show Off Your MOUNTY!

Nice bro! 31's it is then for me! Here's a shot of mine from the back. I'll take some photos later of the front when it starts cooling down a bit. Too lazy to back up the X right now. I'll be removing my running boards too later this afternoon and see how it looks like with my 30" BFG MTs. :D
  24. J

Show Off Your MOUNTY!

Hey, the link to your "Black 98 Mounty AWD 5point-roll-K" is broken. Where can I check out some pics? :D
  25. J

Show Off Your MOUNTY!

Cool! I got 30's. I'm thinkin of getting 32's but 31's seem ok. Mine looks kinda skinny from lookin at it up front or from behind. Side view's ok. Kinda cool though... baja style! Do you have a pic of your mounty from the front or back. I wanna get wider tires. I know if I go for 32's I'm gonna...
Back