Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. J

tires

You can but make sure the load and speed ratings meet or exceed the manufacturers recommendations.
  2. J

Aftermarket Intake's

I had the k&n in my 2001 sport. The problem is they make 2 different types for the sohc engine and 4wheel parts sent the wrong one twice. I only netted a 1 mpg increase over a 1500 mile test I did. Defiantly Better ones out on the market other then the K&N which usually cost alot less.
  3. J

Wanna burn this thing! VENT!

I also live in the rust belt.....i like using WD-40 on my underside during the winter. Every time I have it on the lift or if its going to snow I use a bottle. This has saved me plenty of times when doing routine maintenance and major parts replacement.
  4. J

Cataclean. Anyone used it?

It does not work. A p0420 is an efficiency code, which means that the rare metals are no longer there or the entire honey comb is no longer in place. No chemical can fix that.
  5. J

Tow hook help?

My last explorer sport I installed some factory gm 3/4 hook to the front. I did a little fab work but they hung down low enough to make a hole in the front bumper for easy access.
  6. J

Went in for alignment...

My magical computer at work says 1675 and that's at a 95 dollar an hour flat rate shop. . All are very common problems and if not addressed can lead to other failures of parts.
  7. J

school me on hankook tires...

I have noticed low tread life with their passenger tires. 15/20k and they are smoked, but compounds could be different on them compared to the m/t's. I regularly work on a customers land cruiser that has the A/T's. They seem to last but he has a life time alignment threw my shop along with a...
  8. J

Aftermarket springs/shocks to lift rear

As a technician I see these so called "helper shocks" destroy more explorers then do good. They usually blow threw the upper shock mounting point and either pop holes threw the body into the rear cabin or cause excessive damage to brake lines and your evap system. I regularly tell customer's...
  9. J

stuck lug nuts!

Most shops dont want you to use anti seize because it can cause lugs to back out over time. Out of being in an army shop, then going to the civilian side of things they dont want you using a ntiseize on lugs. Most automotive schools teach you to clean with a wire brush then properly torque.
  10. J

stuck lug nuts!

They may look ok visually but the studs do fatigue with stress. Bare minimum I would clean the threads and remember to never use anti seize on them due to a potential wheel off situation.
  11. J

stuck lug nuts!

Get the lug nut covers off. They make half sized sockets that will aid in taking a lug off. I'd try soaking them in a good penatrant. If that doesn't work try using a propane torch to heat them up, you dont want them to glow, just get hot. Then hose them down with a penatrant while hot so...
  12. J

Hello Everyone, Explorer build front to back, few questions.

E85 in a vehicle that's over 20 years old will destroy every plastic and rubber seal. As for a megasquirt set up, it wont net any gains or even save any parts as it is a fuel only tuning controller. Mega squirt is early 90's technology.
  13. J

FNG - Other-Than-Explorer driver

**** is a forbidden word over here. Nice looking rig!
  14. J

Turbocharged Lincoln LS...Video and Pics inside...

Its great to have a map to know what your limiting factors are. Most aftermarket manufacturers come with one. My old shop had some problems a few months back with a r otory engine and a turbo a guy installed. Guys think they can slap an hx35 from a 6bt cummins and have enough backpressure to run...
  15. J

Turbocharged Lincoln LS...Video and Pics inside...

I had a ported to4 on my mazdaspeed 3. Maxed it out at 19 psi, anything over that it lost its efficiency. Nice build.
  16. J

Explorer Towing WOES

Some small ma and pa shops will rent uhauls if they are independently run. I have used them in the past with my 01 sport.
  17. J

Engine missing badly, need help asap!!

Fuel pressure can be misleading. Pressure doesn't equate to volume and volume doesn't equate to pressure. I'd start with a smoke test of the intake but if you dont have one a can of carb cleaner will do the same thing. Start your engine and while idling spray the carb cleaner around the intake...
  18. J

Primewell Valera HT- 31-10.50-15"s .

Working for Bridgestone you should be able to get the employee pricing. Most of February and March they have deals on the destinations. Talk to your manager for info or I can fax it to your store.
  19. J

Primewell Valera HT- 31-10.50-15"s .

Primewells suck. I am a tech at firestone and we stock them, get tons of complainants about road noise, traction and over all performance. Your better off waiting for the deals next month and getting the destinations or revo 2.
  20. J

Fish tailing!!

And as for tire pressure, I've always ran 35 psi. Lower tire pressures can lead to internal tire damage and lead to failure of the tire. The lower pressure also stresses the sidewall because of side to side flex.
  21. J

Fish tailing!!

Fishtailing can occur when too low or rear tire pressure but if its excessive it could also mean the rear brakes are not working correctly or not working at all.
  22. J

Alternator melted the wiring

Internally shorted battery or poor connection.
  23. J

Rebuilding 5r55e for abuse

A factory ford manual is a good place to start if you plan on taking everything out and a nice depth micrometer. As for parts I purchased everything for a small performance store and forgot the names of everything.
  24. J

Explorer alignment issue

Do you feel play in the wheel or just a pull when braking and acceleration? One of three things to check are your lower ball joints. You'll need to have the wheels off the ground and pry with a pry bar between the knuckle and the lower control arm. Just shaking down the front end by hand will...
  25. J

Both banks lean

When you have a lean condition it usually means that you have un metered air, check your intake manifold and all areas after the MAF for leaks.
Back