Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. B

Test Drivers Wanted

Hey, everybody! I just learned about this! Awesome! I sent my email a few minutes ago. Hope I can get in on the test.
  2. B

How to remove shift cable for Band adjustment

Although it's a bit of a hassle, you should be able to make the adjustment without removing the DTR, and I suggest you not take the DTR off if it's not absolutely necessary. There are two small (I think 8mm) bolts that also help to adjust it, and, of course, the larger nut on the lever. Hold...
  3. B

o/d on, no move; o/d off, moves. Any thoughts?

Interesting read, BrooklynBay. So, you're suggesting that the OD isn't working due to a problem with an end plug? Please explain. I'm still not sure I understand the connection between the two.
  4. B

I have never had a CEL with this overdrive problem, nor has the OD light blinked. Thinking that my problems might be related to the overdrive band, I referred to the band adjustment thread, torqued the tightening bolt as directed to 180 in lb, loosened and retightened 120 in lb. Then I backed...
  5. B

Took the ranger to a local mechanic. He did a line pressure check, and we found that the pump was erratic at between 15 and 20 psi. He suggested a flush. After the flush, the pressure improved to a solid 25. Still have problems with od, though. When on, low/reverse is very poor, but off...
  6. B

How to remove shift cable for Band adjustment

Just wedge a relatively thin flat-head screwdriver behind it and with a twist, it will pop right off. It won't break.
  7. B

I haven't been able to find a pressure gauge to rent. Instead, I bought a cheap ($14.00) after-market 100 psi mechanical oil gauge. I hooked it up to the pressure port and started the engine. WOW! Pressures even at idle are apparently WAY over 100 psi. The needle jumped beyond the 100 mark...
  8. B

I took the Ranger to the neighborhood trans shop today to get a diagnostic evaluation, advised them of the problems I was having with low gear and reverse, and how the trans. performance improves when OD is turned off. I suggested (several times) that they run a pressure test. Oddly, when...
  9. B

How To: Upper Control Arm / Ball Joint Replacement (Lots of Pictures)

Stems on ball joints on both control arms were larger than OEM, and wouldn't fit into the knuckle. I took the arms back to Autozone and bought the correct ones from Advance Auto Parts. Had to order them from Advance, but they were delivered next day, so not too bad. Part No. 10929 TRW...
  10. B

Thanks for the reply, guys. In April, 2006, I installed the ford mod, superior upgrade, and sep. plate. During the upgrade, I ran into problems with the coast clutch valve (as shown in the original thread): I decided to skip the coast clutch upgrade, as that step appeared to be optional, and...
  11. B

Glacier991 or BrooklynBay...please help!
  12. B

How To: Upper Control Arm / Ball Joint Replacement (Lots of Pictures)

trouble fitting the b/j stem into the knuckle I'm putting new UCAs on my son's 98 Ranger (2wd, 4cyl). I bought them from Autozone (part #FA4054 for LH side; #FA5055 for RH side). I can't install the LH UCA, because the ball joint stem is larger than the slot on the knuckle. I compared it to...
  13. B

With much appreciated assistance from you guys, I rebuilt the vb on my son's 98 ranger using the Sonnax rebuild. That was about a year ago. The trans worked okay for a while, but we're having problems again. It will move in reverse, but we have to gas it to make it move just a little. 1 and 2...
  14. B

replaced 4R tranny - no gears engage

Thanks for your responses. My son's driving back to Baton Rouge this weekend and I'll take a look then. He say's it's "kind of...like...yeah...shifting hard...like...in reverse and stuff...and into Park" (lol) Thanks for the offer, Toy, but I'm gonna pull one off my other vb that i'll be...
  15. B

error Sorry my "slydexia" kicked in. The trouble code from the CEL wasn't P1719, but P1716. Sorry if it was "consufing."
  16. B

5R55E VB rebuild (2nd try worked!)

Nice write up, Bill. Should be very helpful to others! :thumbsup:
  17. B

Cel: P1719 Mark called me last night from school (why is it my kids always call after I've gone to bed?) and told me his CEL came on. I asked him in a fog what he thought I could possibly do about it at 11:30 at night! (LOL) Anyway, he had the code pulled today at Autozone...P1719. I...
  18. B

If you want to ship me the "BAD" VB and let me have a try on it I will be happy to do so and see if i cannot get it apart Sure! Give it a go! IM your mailing info and I'll send it UPS on Monday. Screen name is RLawre1002.
  19. B

Good idea! Then maybe instead of a MPITA, it'll become a "piece of cake" Thanks BB
  20. B

Success!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's all finished! :chug: This morning I decided to abandond the upgrade on the vb out of my son's truck...just couldn't get the coast clutch valve to cooperate. So I pulled the vb out of the used tranny sitting in the carport (remember that one?). I cleaned it...
  21. B

Appreciate the response, Chris. What about applying some baby physics to this? What if apply heat to the bore with a propane torch, do you think it will expand enough to free the valve, or would I risk damaging the vb. It's subject to a bit of heat under normal operation, so I figure....
  22. B

OK Chris...I'm gonna wait for you to check it out. Thanks, ya'll.
  23. B

Couldn't get it to spin and was afraid that it would twist the node off. Is there a way to get it from the rear? I notice there's a notch in the VB wall directly behind the valve that might be for some kind of special tool.
  24. B

Thanks, BB. I'll try it. Back in a bit.
  25. B

Don't have a compressor. I did spray it down with WD40, though. What do you think of the "pulling it with vice grips" idea?
Back