Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. H

Handheld Multi-Purpose Pump Sprayer Converstion

Has anyone converted the small handheld multi-purpose pump sprayer, like the one we usually see at Home Depot, for the purpose of pumping gear oil in the transfer case or differential? There are information about converting the larger sprayer on Youtube, but just wonder if the smaller pump can...
  2. H

Lower Steering Column Shaft Parts #

The boot on my truck's lower steering shaft is cracked. I suspect the OCCASIONAL rattling noise on my steering is coming from the joint under the boot. The parts number on the factory service manual states the lower shaft part # is 3CWW2 and the bolt is W710570. I found an old discussion...
  3. H

AC Schrader Valve for High and Low side

My AC Schrader valves are leaking; oil (with dye) on the high side and the low side shows bubbling. I am going to have a buddy's shop help me vacuum and recharge the freon. My question is: are the Shrader valve the same for both the high and low sides? Ford's parts number is YF2198 but does...
  4. H

Heater Hose (Part Number) next to Water Pump

My water pump develops a leak (pool of coolant on the ground). There are two hoses (fat and skinny) on the lower part of the pump. One is the lower radiator hose, but I can't figure out the name/part number of the skinny hose (it has a metal tube connected to it and extend further into the...
  5. H

Aftermarket Muffler

My '09 V6's muffler needs to be replaced. Like to get a quiet muffler but it will be nice if the performance can be improved a bit. Has anyone used DynoMax muffler? Thanks for the advice.
  6. H

60 Percent Bench Seat Release Handle Part Number

My Explorer's 60% rear bench seat (passenger side) release handle has been difficult to pull to release/fold the seat down. The handle stripped while trying to folding down the seat the other day (I think I finally pull it too hard). I know the handle is made of plastic. The Ford Service...
  7. H

Motorcraft Rear Caliper

I am trying to replace both rear brake calipers because the bleeding valve broke off (long story). Rockauto and other online stores have Motorcraft calipers for the front but not the back. Questions: 1. What is the Motorcraft parts number for the rear caliper? The Ford service manual says...
  8. H

Replacing driver side power seat switch

Has anyone replaced their truck's driver side power seat switch? My seat won't move forward and I got the replacement switch. My seat has a lumbar support wheel that I am not sure how to remove it. I try not to remove the whole seat for this process. An online search shows one guy replace...
  9. H

Replacing driver side power seat switch

Has anyone replaced their truck's driver side power seat switch? My seat won't move forward and I got the replacement switch. My seat has a lumbar support wheel that I am not sure how to remove it. I try not to remove the whole seat for this process. An online search shows one guy replace...
  10. H

"OIL CHANGE REQUIRED" warning & sluggish engine respond

I usually change my engine oil (Mobile 1 5w30 w/ Motorcraft filter) whenever the "Oil Change Required" warning light comes on (usually about every 6.5k). I normally reset the warning after I change the oil. The warning light comes on last week and the truck feels sluggish on the throttle...
  11. H

P0455 & Ford Extended Warranty

Few weeks ago my '09 Explorer with 120k on the clock shows a message of "check fueling cap". I used the WD-40 lubricating the fuel cap hinge approach recommended by FordTechMakuloco. The method works for a few days and then the service engine soon light came on and I got a code of P0455...
  12. H

Minor whining noise from rear?

Happy New Year everyone! My '09 Explorer V6 starts to developed this minor whining noise when come to a sudden stop when climbing up hill. I can hear a small "thump" noise (like it is slam into gear) and then a 2 second or so of whining noise. It only happen when go up hill, not down hill...
  13. H

Anyone Tried Motorcraft Metal Thermostat Housing?

Searching Rockauto the other days and found that Motorcraft now has metal thermostat housing for the 2006-2010 Explorer. Parts number RH205 for lower and RH206 for upper. Has anyone tried them? Perhap Ford finally realize the failure of the original plastic design :-)
  14. H

Sealant for Radiator Hose?

My upper radiator hose is leaking on both ends. The radiator is original and the thermostat housing is from Simmons Autosport's metal housing. The hose (Motorcraft) is about 3 years old and has 35k miles on it. The leak on the thermostat housing occured since I replaced the housing and the...
  15. H

Transfer case fluid: XL-12 or Mercon V

The truck has 90k miles on it and I figure it is time to change the transfer case fluid (fluid color looks darker than before, but still somewhat pink-lish). The owner's manual say use XL-12 fluid but the local dealer say use Mercon V due to local climate (So. California). Google search turn...
  16. H

First transmission service after rebuild

My ’09 Explorer V6 transmission was rebuilt around 59K due to missing 2nd gear (so much for the service not needed until 125K miles). Rebuilt at Ford dealer under powertrain warranty. The truck now has 72k miles on it. Works fine. Truck mainly use to haul kids to school and transporting...
  17. H

Brake flow back valve

Does the '06 to '10 Explorer has brake fluid flow back valve, i.e. you have to open the brake valve instead of using C-clamp to push back the caliper piston when do brake work? Thanks for the help!
  18. H

2009 Explorer Coolant Leak

Three weeks ago the dealer replaced the thermostat and upper radiator hose, along with coolant flush. I now have a coolant leak at 1) radiator neck area where it mate with the upper radiator hose, 2) upper radiator hose connecting to the thermostat house, and some wetness on heater hose...
  19. H

Overtorque half-shaft

Me and a friend replaced both bad wheel bearings over the weekend in his shop. While I was cleaning out my tools after I got home, I realized that I have overtorqued the half-shaft nuts on the wheel bearings by about 7 ft-lb; the manual called for 184 ft-lb and I got it around 191 ft-lb...
  20. H

Shock option?

The Ex got 59,800 miles now and the ride start to be bouncy. Visual check on the shocks shows no appear leak. Thinking maybe it is time to replace the shocks. I read the older generation Explorer’s shock is usually due for replacement around 30K miles. Does that rule of thumb still hold true...
  21. H

Missing 2nd Gear

Folks, My 2009 Explorer V6 with 56,000 miles automatic transmission is having a intermitting gear shifting problem. A week ago I had a transmission fluid leak at the intermediate band locknut seal. The dealer replaced the trans range sensor and R&R intermediate band locknut. The technician...
  22. H

AC water drip on transmission

While I got the 2009 Explorer up on the life to check for transmission fluid level, I noticed that the water from AC tube was dripping on one of the transmission bolt. The bolt got superficial rust, I beleive it is due to the constant water drip. I think I came across an article about the drip...
  23. H

2009 XLT 4x4 buying advice

I am looking at a local used 2009 XLT 4x4 v6 (28k miles). My experience with my old 1999 XLT includes the notorious sealed ball joints failure at 45k miles. Does ’09 Explorer have such problem? What other typical issues should I be aware of? Thanks for the advice.
  24. H

Newbie on orderign Explorer

The old ’99 Explorer got declared totaled two weeks ago in the Blizzard of 2011 and so I am looking into the 2011 Explorer. As much as I like all the technology on the XLT, I feel those are more things that will break in the future that I can’t just fix it easily. Since the mechanical is...
  25. H

Hidden Hitch Does Not Fit

Greetings, I got a Hidden Hitch from etrailer.com for my 1999 Explorer 4 doors. The hitch no. is 70647 according to both etrailer and Hidden Hitch's website. The hitch arrived with no. 70647 stamp on the hitch but the hitch width is about 1/4" short to fit under the frame. It seems like...
Back