Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. 9

Does anyone actually love their 5th gen Explorer?

I like our two 5th gens - but I loved my '00 5.0 like a child. Just my $0.02
  2. 9

Drivers side speaker

I had the same issue in my 04 before I traded it. I ended up running new wiring to the driver's door from under the dash to fix it. There was no continuity between the OE plug in the door and the OE plug in the dash, and no obvious place I was able to find where the wire was broken.
  3. 9

2012 MFT w/ Nav - Stuck on v2.11

Well, I decided to take the plunge this morning on my drive in to work. I grabbed the v3.10 files from the thread peterk9 linked, extracted the zip, formatted a flash drive FAT32, and copied the files over. Started the Explorer and popped in the drive and the update process started. It took...
  4. 9

Thanks for the info! I gathered that 2.11 was rather old. I purchased this vehicle used but am guessing based on the install date that it was never updated. Any suggestions on how to get the updates if not through the SyncMyRide site? I'm guessing due to the age that I won't be able to go...
  5. 9

Hello all, Having some trouble updating the MFT in my 2012 Limited. I'm familiar with the update process and have done it in my wife's 13 Fusion/Edge and 16 Limited. When I check the SyncMyRide site, it happily informs me that I'm up-to-date with the following: Date Confirmed: Dec 2, 2011...
  6. 9

Gen 4 mirrors on Gen 3 4 Door

My 04 did have heated stock mirrors, but everything I read jives with what 1Bad04 says - the wiring is all there and the heat is activated with the rear defrost switch. This was an easy swap and after a month I'm still very happy with the end result.
  7. 9

You could certainly do that. There are a few signal mirror kits available for the Gen 4 that you could wire in. Or I would imagine the Aviator mirrors would work also. For my truck, I didn't want them - the turn signals on the body are visible enough and I don't use it to tow.
  8. 9

Hey guys - just wanted to take a few minutes and confirm that yes, this swap does work. I picked up my 4th Explorer, a 2004 Eddie Bauer 4.6 4x4, back in March and was disappointed that it still had the same small mirrors that my 2000 has. Especially after driving my F-150, I find them to be...
  9. 9

4.0 airbox in 5.0 Explorer?

Kind of what I was thinking too. Guess I'll grab one and see what we get. Thanks all!
  10. 9

4.0 airbox in 5.0 Explorer?

Hey guys - hoping someone can shed some light as I can't seem to get a concrete answer about this. Years ago, I pulled my stock airbox and installed an eBay MAF adapter and cone filter. I'm tired of the washing and re-oiling game and want to put a stock airbox back in. All I can seem to find...
  11. 9

What tires to choose?

Grabber AT2 I'll third the Grabbers. I put a set on my '00 last year and have been VERY happy with them so far.
  12. 9

5.0 Mountaineer Trans problem I think.

Sloppy U-joints won't keep it from going in gear, but they can cause a clunk similar to what you're describing. Too low of a fluid level can keep the trans from going into gear or shifting correctly, so checking there is a quick & easy way to start troubleshooting. Remember that you've got to...
  13. 9

tires...whats everyone running?

Cooper Discoverer ATR in 255/70/16, very happy with them.
  14. 9

shocks

I went with Monroe Reflex for the front, and Sensa-Trac load leveling shocks for the rear. I've had Sensa-Tracs on other Explorers, but from what I've read, the Reflex is a bit firmer, and that's what I'm after.
  15. 9

5.0 AWD: 4.10 gears with stock tire size?

I'm curious about this too..subscribing!
  16. 9

Shock Recommendation?

Follow-up on an old thread - I ended up going with the Monroe Reflex up front and load-leveling Sensa-Trac in the back (seeing how bad she sagged with the back loaded up made this an easy decision). I'll follow up once they arrive and I get them installed!
  17. 9

HELP - Tire Air Intake Cap Is STUCK

They'll probably just break the bead on one side to get to the valve stem, which means the tire won't rotate on the rim..so it shouldn't need to be rebalanced.
  18. 9

Replacing emissions diagnostic connector (OBDII) on a 2001 Ford Explorer 2001.

Assuming they're referring to the OBDII connector (I can't think of any other diagnostic connector?) it's under the dash, roughly below the steering column. Shine a flashlight in or feel around and you'll find it. The connector should look like this: You could probably replace it...
  19. 9

I love my Mountaineer

Nice! I hope to get that many trouble-free miles out of my 5.0 Explorer
  20. 9

5.0 #4 spark plug wire routing

Thanks for the pic..my valve cover didn't have that clip on top, so I guess they changed them somewhere along the way? Or mine broke somewhere along the way?? I ended up running it the same way as before, but liberally using zip ties to make sure it wouldn't end up against anything it wasn't...
  21. 9

Help lowering driver's seat in 2003 Ranger?

I'm also interested in this..depending how I sit, my head rubs the headliner in my Explorer. An extra inch or two would be great! Anybody done this before?
  22. 9

Fog Lamp Mod 2001 (1999-2001?) Explorer

Finally got around to doing this on my '00 5.0 - all went smoothly. Took me less than 5 minutes, including digging through my toolbox for a pair of cutters. Can't wait to drive at night now!
  23. 9

2000 XLT V8 Flat Spot on Acceleration

P0401 was a DPFE sensor on mine. I didn't really experience the other symptoms you're having, but it might not be a bad place to start?
  24. 9

V8 but not all wheel drive?

Newer 2nd gen V8s have an emblem on the side that simply statees 'V8,' regardless of whether 2wd or AWD - I think this started in '98? 96-97 AWDs have the 'all wheel drive' badging
  25. 9

5.0 #4 spark plug wire routing

Hey everyone..I did search this, but couldn't find a definitive answer/good pic.. I'm just wondering what the correct routing is for the #4 plug wire (passenger side, rearmost plug) on a 5.0 - I had it routed between the valve cover and the intake, there was a clip on the back of the valve...
Back