Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. K

Missing Bell Housing Bolt

Thanks! Thanks Brian, Guess that's what I'll have to do. No one I've talked to knows the thread count off the top of their head, so ... , back under I go!
  2. K

Missing Bell Housing Bolt

Hi guys, One of the bolts came up missing when I went to put my tranny (5r55e) back in. I think my seven year old "helper" disappeared it and the 13mm wrench I was using too. I made sure that I left the open hole one that I could get to more easily after the install. The bolt is one of the...
  3. K

Shift lever hard to move after 5r55e swap

Thans for input! Thanks guys, Had forgotten to adjust that plastic slip joint piece down at the cable bracket. Cable was preloaded hard against "PARK" and it took extra effort to move shifter down. Hung my 3# weight, moved all to "D", and reinstalled adjuster clip. Much better now, although...
  4. K

torque converter install problems

Easier way to put TC back in 5r55e Just finished putting 5k replacement tranny back in my 150k ranger w/4.0 OHV. I spent 2 hours trying to wiggle, spin, jiggle, and align TC to get it 1/2 " inside bell housing. I even fastened recommended handles to 2 TC bolts, trying to align tip of splined...
  5. K

Shift lever hard to move after 5r55e swap

Hi guys, Just finished swapping out my "no reverse" 5R55E with a 5000 mile donor trans. Did it in the driveway, no CAT removal, no floor jack, lots of scrapes & aches. I noticed that shift lever on side of donor tranny was hard to move before hooking ball-joint-linkage back up from shifter...
  6. K

TQ Question during 5R55E R&R

Thanks guys, 5k seemed low to me also, but I personally saw donor vehicle & odometer. Youngster smacked tree, destroying front end, received DUI, and parked & parted truck out. Hurray for craigslist!
  7. K

Thanks Brooklyn, although it seems a waste since donor tranny has 5000 miles on it. Even with reman TQ, how am I gonna know which one of 4 positions is correct? Or was that indexing advice simply "better practice" or is there some sort of balance/frequency problem that might occur? I appreciate...
  8. K

Hi Folks, I lost reverse band on tranny 2 weeks ago and have since located a low mile donor tranny complete with TQ. I had read a thread on doing an R&R to a transmission that mentioned indexing TQ bolt to the flex plate on my 4.0 OHV engine. I'm assuming that when I do my R&R I should use...
  9. K

buying 99 ranger 4x4

Hi, I've got 4.0 OHV and your same truck w/stepside. I've owned since 80k (now 120k) and only problems to date are consistent 0171 & 0174 codes with CEL (You'll find that the 4.0 SOHC engine has same problems and is famous for a recall for intake o-rings and a tensioner). Did just replace both...
  10. K

Another Fix for 4x4 Owners with 0171 & 0174 Codes

Have a 99 ranger w/4.0 OHV and have been chasing these 2 codes (on & off) for 3 years. When checking for vacuum leaks, I never had it in 4H and so never discovered that the vacuum lines attached to the front hub assemblies had dry-rotted. Thus, when I would put it in 4H for the 10 seconds it...
  11. K

OBD II Trouble Codes 0171 and 0174

Had same 2 codes a year ago and replacing fuel filter took care of it (along with using code reader to clear codes). Now have same problem again (right before inspection due!) and fuel filter change hasn't worked, nor has fuel injector cleaner, HEET, and Premium gas. Will try cable idea next.
Back