Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. MountaineerGreen

Front Drive Shaft (4406) question

I think you may be on to something. The reduced angle could cause pre mature joint wear and the length adjustable shaft could magnify that effect. There were some factors there I hadn't considered. I haven't crawled under an explorer / mountaineer in years, I'm getting out of practice. I bet a...
  2. MountaineerGreen

I can't see how the double cardian will twist or bind. I always thought up to a point, more joints made for a smoother transition. But, I'm not an engineer either. An expedition driveshaft is tested and proven, just make sure you don't get one that is too long. There was a length issue depending...
  3. MountaineerGreen

After we took the lift off my Mountaineer, it drove fine using a standard driveshaft up until the time it hit the tree. I certainly don't think the double would cause you problems unless the u joints are worn. The clunk you mention when in 4x4 sounds like your joints may be worn. Has it always...
  4. MountaineerGreen

Can I pull roughly 5500-6000 lbs?

You wont break an axle or blow your transmission. Braking and trailer control may be an issue if the water is sloshing around. Id pull it, but carefully.
  5. MountaineerGreen

Solved Explorer Towing Capacities

Ill bet the engine will wheeze going up the hills. Do you have trailer brakes?
  6. MountaineerGreen

Car trailer on a 97 ex

I don't know if I would do that extreme of engine braking. You might could shift into third going downhill but I don't think I would pull it down in the 2nd and 1stunless it was a really steep hill with sharp curves.
  7. MountaineerGreen

Car trailer on a 97 ex

I'd say that you'd be fine. Braking distance will increase dramatically, keep plenty if distance.
  8. MountaineerGreen

Upgrade towing capacity?

Axle ratio change from 3.55 to 3.73 is not much difference. If your vechicle is 4x4, you'd need to change front and rear gearsets or axles. In my opinion if you added the cooler and hitch, you should be fine.
  9. MountaineerGreen

2002 Eddie Bauer Towing Harness

Im a little confused, is there a towing light harness on the vehicle or not? I am not familiar with the 02 models, but if there is a harness, follow it up until its not damaged, buy a new pigtail and splice or solder it on. If there is no harness there, possibly an aftermarket setup made for the...
  10. MountaineerGreen

Towing behind a Rental Truck?

If you are pulling it with all 4 wheels on the trailer, tell them it's an explorer and go on with your life. They won't know the difference, because there isn't any except cosmetics.
  11. MountaineerGreen

Need help deciding what to buy - explorer or 4runner

Well, as much as I hate to say, the Toyota man is right. In my opinion, a body on frame, RWD or 4x4 makes a superior tow vehicle. Unibodies can tow, there is no doubt, but I believe a frame can offer a superior towing experience. A primarily front wheel drive unibody wouldn't be my first choice...
  12. MountaineerGreen

Questions about Towing Capabilities of Stock Mounty

The hitch is a bit undersized for the job, depending on what the car and all that stuff weighs. I don't know that I'd trust that 1.25" hitch to carry that load.???
  13. MountaineerGreen

2nd Gen "Custom" Anti Sway Bar Links, Cheap!

I never had any issue, when I removed the lift, I shortened those same links and ran them till my wife totaled it. The ball flex thing just isn't necessary IMO, the IFS doesn't move that much.
  14. MountaineerGreen

Towing mirrors?

Brian, I have the mirrors I used on my mountaineer still. I had to make a small bracket that attached to the puddle light cover screw, not sure if I can locate them now but they can be easily made if not. Ill make you a heck of a deal on them if you are interested.
  15. MountaineerGreen

Pics wanted: Trailer brake controller mounted

That's where I had mine- I have big feet, it never got in my way.
  16. MountaineerGreen

'99 Right Trailer brake/signal light problem

Do you have a test light you can probe the wires with? I know you cant probe the wire and push the brake at the same time, but you can eliminate the running light from the equation and I'll bet the black wire is the ground.
  17. MountaineerGreen

Setting up 1999 EB SOHC for towing

The springs and shackles I'd say are a must for towing. But keep in mind, shocks are not designed or intended to support vehicle weight, they only dampen what the springs do. Heavy duty shocks will probably not help much with towing and could make the ride unnecessarily rougher. And believe me...
  18. MountaineerGreen

Could I tow this Sportsmen Classic Hybrid

You'd need to know your axle code to know your towing capacity, the dry weight of the trailer, and estimate of what you intend to put in it. ( double estimate if a woman is involved) Then look at the book, they have a chart or something that accounts for frontal area of tall / wide trailers...
  19. MountaineerGreen

Glad I could help :thumbsup:
  20. MountaineerGreen

Somewhere on the vehicle a "converter" that combines the brake/turn function to one bulb. Where that is located, I have no idea. I know Hopkins manufacturing makes a converter for vehicles not equipped with trailer wiring. They are fairly inexpensive and a lot less trouble than tracking down a...
  21. MountaineerGreen

brake controler intall question

A factory tow package didn't exist in 1994, I'm sure a previous owner installed the plug. It'd only be a guess what they did. I know the electric brake wire is supposed to be blue. Good luck!
  22. MountaineerGreen

Solved Explorer Towing Capacities

The manual transmission is strictly light duty also. It is a Mazda unit, the clutch isn't heavy duty enough for towing, it's a common misconception. I worked with a guy who towed an empty tandem trailer and it in short order destroyed his clutch. Towing 4500 lbs is definitely out, sorry to be...
  23. MountaineerGreen

Inner Tie Rod Removal and Replacement (Pictures)

As best as I can remember, both tie rod ends are standard threads. If you have the new one you can check the threads to confirm.
  24. MountaineerGreen

Gas Tank Skid Plate

Yup, it bolts straight to the frame, two bolts on each side.
  25. MountaineerGreen

Gas Tank Skid Plate

I just walked around and looked under explorers till I found one with em. Unfortunately I think they will be harder to find since so many have been scrapped. Good luck!
Back